Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 July 2012
I'm a big fan of BOSCH products, and just about every power tool I have is from them; I have been planning on purchasing a Router for some time, and have had the BOSCH model on my wishlist, but due to the quite high price (even with quite a decent reduction) I have been reluctant.

However a friend contacted me recently and said that he had seen a BLACK AND DECKER router on Amazon for £45.00! I was a bit unsure initially, but on checking the reviews and searching the internet for price comparisons, I could see that it did appear to be a real bargain; so I gave it a go!

On arriving I was immediately struck by the size of the carry case, it is of good quality and looks like it will last for some time. The tool is sturdy, comfortable to use, and despite it being my first use of a router I have been surprised at just how straight forward it is is produce excellent (and surprisingly professional)results.

The kit comes with six cutting pieces to get you started; one thing to note is that this is a 1/4 inch router, this appears to be a common size with a huge amount of additional router bits available; it's just that there also are 1/2 inch routers available, so make sure you buy the right bits!

Only one minor quibble really; the instruction manual. I've certainly seen worse, but considering that this is a potentially tricky bit of kit to use, and that the quality of everything else is so good, it is lacking somewhat and a bit of a disappointment.

This Router is outstanding value at the price offered (£45.00) when compared to other models available, and I'm glad I haven't stuck to my BOSCH only rule on this occassion!
on 28 August 2012
Great little router that comes with a set of cutters and a few other accessories, so you can get going as soon as it arrives. The router itself is ideal for the keen DIYer and light trade use. It has plenty power for tough hardwoods. The variable speed controller works well, giving exactly the right speed for whatever wood you are using. The fence has a few redeeming features too, circle cutting and guide wheel. Not locking on is a bit of a downside, but other than that I think it's great for those who have never owned or used a router esp at this price (£45). Some other reviews mention 1/4 cutting to be less accurate than 1/2. Here's my tip, don't let the cutter stick out more than 10mm from the collet and you should have no problems with the cutter shank flexing.

All in all, a great starter kit at a great price.
on 7 September 2016
Having never owned a Router before I didn't know what to look for at first, but after reading up about them I decided to buy the Black + Decker KW900EKA Router Variable Speed 1200 Watts, as it seemed the most versatile one around and at such a good price too.

On delivery I couldn't help but think how well packaged it was; the carry case was very sturdy and each piece inside was individually bagged to endure they were not damaged. along with the router there was a good range of bits and accessories for different applications too.

The Router itself has a good weight and solid build quality to it. It has a lot of features that seem a little overwhelming at first but once you figure out how to set it up its an absolute pleasure to use. The plunger has an array of depth gauges to control how deep you want to cut into a piece with accurate increments, and the double trigger function ensures both your hands are away from the blade and also gives you good control due to the location of the handles.

One of the features that sold this for me was the changeable Collett, allowing you to switch between using 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch bits without much hassle, which was something I needed for the project I got this for.

Although I haven't used this extensively yet, I still give it five stars just for the value for money when considering all the accessories and features this router boasts. The carry case has held up well and keeps everything organised and it is an absolute ease to work the router itself.
on 8 July 2011
I bought this as a stop gap because the 1/2" router I wanted was out of stock and I needed a router in a hurry after my last one went pop. It performed much better than I expected for trimming and profiling MDF and hardwood timber. Bearings are good and the cut is as accurate as 1/4" shank will allow. Would probably be totally adequate for DIY use or light commercial work. Depth adjustment is a bit crude and fiddly and there is no vernier adjustment on the guide which together make for a number of test cuts on scrap to get it set right. It handles nicely too. The plunge is smooth from new but I haven't worked it over a period of time to know if it remains so.
on 10 December 2013
Perfect Router for beginner like me. It's delivered well packaged and it was in case with 6 bits and other tools which are very usefull. Also I made for it my own router table and it is as small workshop. I recommend this product for every man who need tool like this.
on 23 September 2012
I bought this router to cut a sink cutout in a solid wood worktop. It did manage the job although the professional routers have a longer reach so I had to mess around a little to get the job done.
I have since used the router on other projects and it is perfectly suitable for all manner of wood jobs. The router bits that it comes with make a good start, but I bought some mores expensive ones to get hold of different bits.
The instruction booklet is clear and easy to follow. I had to re-read it a couple of times, but I think if you have used one of these before, the set-up doesn't vary much. The carry case is robust and compact and fairly easy to use.
There is no lock on the switch, so if you wanted to put this in a table, you would probably not be able to without modifying or defeating the switch.
All in all, a great product, at a price which would not normally even buy you a basic model made by a DIY shed's cheap own make.
on 11 November 2012
This is my first router and I am very impressed by this product. The storage box and range of accessories that come with the router are very impressive which means you can get started straight away. Less impressive is the instruction manual and for a newbe like myself who had no idea about collets and such it meant a trawl through the internet to find out how to fit them. The instruction manual didn't even mention them plus the book is printed in font so small that you need a magnifying glass to read it. Shame really as the rest of the package is very impressive and for light DIY tasks I'm sure this will be a good investment.
on 16 September 2014
This is the first router I have purchased so unable to compare to other brands but the specifications of this met all that I required . I have used it quite a lot now and found it really quick and easy to use after initially working out what goes where and how it works. I have used other black and decker products before and I have personally always found them to be tough and reliable with great longevity and always excellent value for money. This router comes with its own really tough carrying and storage case , six commonly used router bits and a dust extractor . I personally found it easier and less cumbersome to operate without the dust extractor attached, but I suppose extended use would make less mess with it attached. Overall its a great tool to start with .
on 27 July 2014
The router works exceptionally well for the price. I wanted to use it with a router table that I previously purchased & that accepted a 155 mm dia. router base. This base was 160 mm dia. I removed the plastic base plate & used a jig saw & extremely coarse sandpaper on my power sander to reduce the base to the proper size for the table. I saved the switch clamp from my other router & it all went together well & worked to my expectations. I'm a low budget hobbyist & do not use this tool every day. The price was right for my needs & the tool performs everything I would expect to get involved in.
on 20 September 2014
Well worth the price for this brand but the major let down is the manual, it is pathetic. If it is the first time you have used a router then the manual is frankly confusing. It tells you to assemble the unit with all the various attachments that should only be attached for specific jobs. With one attachment I had to telephone B & D to be told you only use that with a jig?, that is not mentioned in the manual. Sort it out, have a decent online manual.