Customer reviews

Requests the Pleasure: 1939-1954
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 April 2016
Yet again, a perfect present for my wife, bliss.
on 18 May 2017
Mum wanted one of the songs played at her funeral. She is still alive and kicking but it holds a special memory for her from when my dad came home from the war. So anything for mum.
on 15 September 2012
This CD is a collection of recordings of Joyce Grenfell performing songs (and just a couple of monologues) which are mainly taken from very old recordings. The quality is, as you would expect, not crisp and clear (hence the loss of a star) but it is well worth it to hear these songs, some of which (e.g. The Wife of an Acrobat) I had not heard before. Joyce's voice is so clear and true that it invests the songs with sweetness and - in some cases - wistfulness and pathos as well as her distinctive comedic style. My personal highlight is a wonderful adaptation of 'Come into the Garden Maud' giving Maud's reaction to the invitation, which makes me laugh every time I hear it.
on 2 January 2011
i bought this to give to my Mum for Christmas,but i share her sense of humour and will buy a copy for myself.You cannot help but to admire the comedy genius of Joyce Grenfell.
on 25 July 2012
I was very pleased to find this CD available for purchase via Amazon, because I always liked the Joyce Grenfell comedy songs and sketches, and thought it would be nice to hear them again. The item arrived within a reasonable amount of time of placing the order, and is of good merchantable quality.
on 5 March 2013
Bought both of these CD's for a friend who is a long standing fan of this wonderful lady. I don't think she has stopped playing them. Hilariously funny, clever and sad at the same time. A must for any Joyce Grenfell fans out there.
on 18 April 2013
This cd took me back to my childhood, listening to the wireless on Sunday. The simple innocence that is lost forever.
Happy times
on 11 February 2015
Good entertainment, much much better than the "pop" rubbish that we are subjected to today.
on 19 July 2014
Wonderful Joyce at her best - it takes me back to my childhood
on 4 January 2013
I was disappointed that nearly all the tracks are songs. I was looking for Joyce Grenfell's sketches but wasn't able to identify which Grenfell CDs on offer contained what I was looking for.

request