Size: Studio Set|Change

on 6 January 2011
Being no stranger to Cotman water colours I was looking forward to receiving my half pan studio set. I was delighted at the vibrancy of the colours, the selection and the very handy palettes, one of which helps keep the pans from falling out (a problem I've experienced with the small sets). Opening it I felt like a kid in a sweet shop. The shiny, colourful half pans are like little hard boiled sweets. It even had a space for my favourite water colour brush to fit. As far as value for money is concerned it is worth while. With each half pan individually priced at £1.69 in my local art store, it is really, really good value.

I'd recommend it to anyone passionate about water colours and as a relative beginner myself, I would certainly recommend it to others as there is no finer set of water colours to bring life to a piece.
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2009
excellent value for money. Ideal for just starting out or for taking out and about.
on 10 June 2013
When the product first arrived I was confused, and thought the product was a fake because the individual paints weren't in the usual Windsor and Newton packaging !!! I phoned up the providers and they assured me that it was genuine and it was a way for Windsor and Newton to save money !! After a sigh of relief I love my new paints and use them all the time !!!
on 3 September 2010
Brilliant selection of pans excellent value ideal for established artist or beginner great to have so many colours in easy to transport and use pallette.
on 30 September 2013
Winsor & Newton are not cheap but have good name for water colours. This set, however was a good price.
I already have one of these as my art teacher recommends it as uses one herself.
I bought a new set, as some of my old colours are running out and it is cheaper to buy a complete set than replace individuals.
(I actually used the supplied brush the other day, which works very well.)
You might want to get a larger set later but I don't need a lot of colours for most work I would prefer to add add odd tubes as I need them (such as white gouache). Besides, mixing colours to make another is part of the 'fun' (or do I mean frustration).
P.S. If you are new to this game, don't forget to make a little plan of the layout, on watercolour paper, with the colour codes and a small dab of the paint. This helps you plan the colour mix and, although it sounds a bit geaky, keeping a note of how you arrived at the colours in a painting can be very useful.
on 6 November 2011
A top quality professional water colour set. Stunningly fast delivery. Very very satisfied indeed.
But a wee note, I saw a review on here which mentioned the fact that the pans were not fixed in place...well that is intentional for a very good reason. it allows the artist to place the colour range he is using all together in the tray to allow for quick and easy mixing. This is not a design flaw. I thought the review was a wee bit unfair to the seller, he did not design the product the manufacturer did and the manufactured did so for sound form and function reasons. At this incredible price every review should be 5 star for this product from this seller
on 17 January 2011
Great product. The watercolours are of very high quality in a good assortment of colours.

The box closes tightly shut, which means I can carry it around in my bag without fear of loosing the small paint cups.

The inside of the lid can be used to mix colours, and since the colour cups can be removed (each colour comes in a small plastic cup that fits in the box) the whole box can be rinsed out if needed, whithout damaging the watercolours.

The paintbrush is made of 2 parts that fit into one another in case you want to make it smaller, but it fits as a whole in the box so there should be no need for this. The brush is of high quality and can be used for very fine strokes (with the tip) or wide strokes. It doesn't loose its hairs. I have lots of high quality brushes I had no issues with, but since I bought this item I find I am always using that brush. The handle is shorter than my other brushes' but this doesn't make any difference.
on 9 May 2013
I've always found the Windsor and Newton Cotman range impressive for the vibrant and translucent colours and rich smooth consistency when mixed with water.

This kit contains a good range of colours, whether used straight from the pan or mixed. I found I obtained some nice shades from experimenting with 2 and 3 colour combinations. The inclusion of Payne's Grey rather than black may put off some potential buyers, but I haven't found it to be a disadvantage at all. The Payne's Grey, when used "thick, is intense enough on it's own for detail but also mixes well for shadow tones.

The case is sturdy enough and at only 9cm x 14cm x 2cm (exterior) it's very compact, with the lid doubling as a palette. Inside I found the removable dividers a little flimsy and the half pans rattle around a bit as a consequence. However, being able to remove the dividers means the case can be customised. The case arrives stocked with 16 half pans, a surprisingly good nylon mini brush (the cap protecting the bristles becomes the handle), a short pencil and a kneadable eraser. I've already considered either adding another row of pans in place of the pencil and eraser (the brush has its own place near the hinge) or for field use, removing a divider to make more space for sketching equipment and selecting just 8 of the most useful colours.

This set would be perfect for the watercolour newbie through to experienced water colourists who want a low cost (compared to the W&N Artist range) convenient outdoor set for sketching.
on 2 May 2015
The product was delivered extremely quickly (arrived the next day) and I am very happy with the quality. The case is sturdy and has a flip out palette and space for a paintbrush. The paints come individually wrapped in Winsor and Newton packaging, and there are 40 colours with doubles of alizarin crimson hue, ultramarine, yellow ochre, ivory black and chinese white. Great price for the amount of paints you get.
review image review image
11 Comment| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2015
I have had a W&N set of watercolours for about 30 years now (I know - but I like to get my moneys worth and I butterfly from one craft to another) and they have been absolutely brilliant. So I thought I would treat myself to these as they seemed a decent price.
I am very pleased with the amount/selection of colours included. BUT and its a BIG BUT ....the pans don't sit well in the case. They took ages to remove from the individual wrappings and insert back in to the spaces (I actually wrote the colour number under the space in marker pen so I knew what was what ...somewhat OCD!) But the pans don't fit in the space tightly so when you have finished a painting session and close up the case you have to be careful to keep it horizontal and not tip it AT ALL because if you do the next time you open it up most of the pans come tumbling out. (the odd ones stick to the underside of the lid)....which the gives you the massive problem of not knowing which colour is which anymore and having to reinsert the pans every time. I wish I had actually stuck each of them in with a blob of glue. BE AWARE.
44 Comments| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling • Top Rated