on 18 August 2009
Like others before me, I've never felt strongly enough about anything to write a review about it. But, after ages trying various different forms of casing for my iPhone, I think I've finally found something worthy of some time spent with painfully slow, one-fingered typing.......

This thing basically fits like no other case (i.e. properly!), and could almost be said to be engineered rather than just made. I simply can't find fault with it. Plus, on extremely cluttered desks like mine (just an untidy sod sadly, not a frantically busy captain of industry...), the almost fluorescent yellow of the case shouts "here I am".......

Just buy one - recognise the fact that at last there is a company making something with some thought as to its function, rather than just to look good enough to cajole you out of you hard-earned.......
on 26 July 2009
This case is is designed to give your iPhone the maximum possible impact protection and it does just that. A few things worth mentioning though - firstly, it looks like it should be waterproof - it isn't. Maybe splash proof at the most - there are holes for the camera, Apple logo, ear-piece and speakers. Secondly, the case's transparent screen sticks to the IPhone's display creating a water-effect / oil effect. There are two remedies to this, both suggested by Otterbox after I got annoyed with my case doing it. One is to rub your thumb over the iPhone's display using your own natural oils to create an anti-stick surface. This actually works but I don't like the smeary look! The second, which works brilliantly, plus adds extra protection - and actually gives a clearer image to boot - is to buy and apply the Power Support anti-glare film for the iPhone 3G. Now I'm totally happy with it. Working outdoors the phone has been dropped (and even accidently thrown!) a few times already and the case did its job brilliantly so I can totally recommend this. Looks great too and you soon get used to the extra bulk.
on 14 January 2013
You take off the rubber outer and carefully unclip the box. The phone fits in quite nicely clip the box back together and refit the rubber outer there's a review on youtube where you can see this being done [...], I bought it for hill walking etc but the case is not waterproof but would be splash proof. I would not leave it out in the rain.
I can do all the functions I normally do with the case on the phone.
The holster that comes with the case is poorly designed and the phone detached at the slightest bump. If you use the belt holster you will lose the phone. The phone slots in and has two small lugs to hold it and they don't.
This is why I gave it only 4 stars.
The case is ideal for what I want it for to protect the phone when I'm out and about in the country side and I like it.
on 12 November 2013
The rubber outer stretches quickly then it becomes annoying, does give good protection if you drop your phone, also the rubber collects every bit of fluff in your pocket, the newer Otterbox covers are made with a better rubber cover that does not stretch or collect fluff
on 26 February 2009
It was simple to install my iPhone into the OtterBox.
You can get at all the iPhone outlets, switches etc and there is no noticible difference now touching the OtterBox screen versus the iPhone screen directly. The ringer is just as audible too.

The outer cover's rubber has a great stickiness that means the phone doesn't now slip out of my hand. But the down side is that the phone is now bulkier in a trouser pocket and doesn't now slip in and out! However, I would rather have the peace of mind of a protected phone.

The black and yellow OtterBox is very visible so I notice where I left my iPhone much quicker now. A great product that does exactly whats on the tin.
on 2 May 2013
I purchased this case as my wife has an Otterbox Defender case for her iPhone 4 which is amazing! We decided to let our 5 year old son play on her her old iPhone 3GS so purchased this case, the flap over the mute button continuously flaps open and the worst of all is the built in screen protecter smudges a large mark straight down the middle of the screen! To the point even my son is fed up with looking at the screen, it doesn't matter what we clean it with it is the pressure of the case that makes the smudge/oily smear affect! Very, very annoying and disappointing as the Otterbox Defender case for the iPhone 4 is amazing! Worst £15 spent in my opinion, I think we may have more as we wanted a speedy delivery as we were going away! I would not recommend this case to anyone!
on 28 July 2012
The otterbox looks quite bulky but the phone fits in snugly. The casing is a soft rubber which makes it very grippy. All the buttons and ports are accessible via flexible covers which fold back when not needed. The plastic cover over the screen works well and I've had no problems with it, or indeed any reason to get that other plastic stuff to protect the screen. No loss in the clarity of the screen. Doesn't weigh much. It comes with a plastic holster which is attached around a belt or can be clipped onto something. However when it is clipped in, I'd be reluctant to do any sort of physical work with the phone hanging off the belt in case it was wrenched off. Very well priced and as one of the previous reviewers said, the yellow is useful for finding the phone amongst a pile of stuff! All-in-all, it does what it needs to do.
on 25 October 2009
I got this case to use whilst on a boat for a weeks scuba diving and was very happy with its performance. However, I do have two concerns for its long term satisfaction. Firstly, the covers/inserts for the headphone socket (part of the black silicone case cover that goes over the hard yellow plastic case) and charger socket may I suspect - if handled roughly - begin to tear off over time. The holster is not the most secure of designs - whilst I have not had any problems with the phone coming loose, even when running, I would be happier with some sort of clip at the top you need to push to release the phone from the holster than just the two studs one on each side.

However, to date a satisfied customer and later versions of this design will hopefully address my concerns.
on 23 February 2011
the otterbox case defender series for a 3gs phone is a great case for protecting your i phone , the only thing is the car charger will not fit into the phone when the otter box is on , so you have to take it off which is no good, if you do alot of driving and always on the road you need to be able to charge you phone in the car,,
on 14 November 2010
Otterbox, love it

This is my second as I lost my Otterbox belt holder.

If your active and you want your IPhone secure this is the box.

One major draw-back, smudges between the IPhone screen and Otterbox screen.

Many solutions on You tube.

I removed the Otterbox plastic screen which is OK for me.