on 7 April 2008
As an amateur photographer I found the book to be compelling reading, being written in an engaging fashion and giving information in doses small enough to absorb with pleasure.

In addition to basic techniques and tips, you will also learn what equipment you require in order to improve your photography.

This is an excellent book which has helped me advance in my photography and which I have read from cover to cover at least twice.

This book is a must for anyone new to photography!
22 Comments| 38 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 31 May 2010
always produces books that are by and large, easy to digest. This book is no different. If you're interested in photography and want a quiet afternoon read that is informative, helpful and easy to put into practice, there's few other books that provide the insights Scott Kelby's book provide.

If you're buying them from amazon then you're not having to lay down a lot of cash and couple to the quality of these books, it makes a whole lot of sense to buy this book and have it handy to read and learn from.

Very worthwhile purchase.
on 23 March 2017
Excellent quick reference and very useful
on 18 May 2017
Brilliant .
on 5 November 2017
good book
on 21 April 2008
Please, don't take any notice of the tripe you will read in these reviews about stupid humour. It is only in a half dozen intro pages and even then, it's not enough to worry about and stop you learning from these wonderful books.
Buy this book, buy volume one too and a good highlighter pen, because you will learn an awful lot (unless you are a seasoned pro). The tips are quick, precise and have made my photography much better in the week it has taken me to read (and cover in highlighter!) both volumes.
Volume two has a great section on studio work with simple and inexpensive equipment that is worth the cover price alone. Don't listen to the silly moans about his sense of humour, buy these and learn lots!
0Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 February 2008
.....if you are a seasoned pro or utterly humourless. If you think your photographs are generally OK, but are missing that little something extra that makes them good enough to be proud of; then buy it instantly.

This isn't a technical photography manual that will spin your head out with more terms than a consolidation loan contract. Neither is it an artsy Bauhaus analysis of photography design. No, it is actually useful.

I wrote a glowing review of the first volume, and the second volume is just as good. The only downside is that I now am going to spend more money on photography kit. I really think that addiction to narcotics or alcohol would have been much cheaper and far less damaging to my marriage.

The author, to me anyway, comes across as a thoroughly nice bloke who obviously loves what he does. The style is informal and friendly and I enjoy reading both volumes again and again. If, like some reviewers, you find this off-putting I think that says far more about you than it does Scott.

In conclusion: my photographs are better after reading this book, thanks Scott.
0Comment| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 5 October 2008
I've been a wedding photographer for 25 years. I thought this was going to be another "how to take photos book". I've liked other Scott Kelby books so whilst in a bookstore picked it up just for a quick glance, but was suprised to see how much detail he went into. Each page being a new subject, it gave a detailed taster of each subject without all the waffle many books have, and then gave links to websites where you could read more or get equipement that is hard to find. To me it was worth it just for those hard to find links.
on 30 May 2010
My girlfriend told me I had to take a book with me on Holiday this year so she could have at least one day to lie by the pool/beach without me moaning "I'm bored"...
Saw the deal on Amazon and bought all three books, pretty new to DSLR photography and tried several other books that half the time I didn't understand. These books however were absolutely amazing, a mine field of information, set out in a way that even I could understand, there are so many obvious things in it that you wouldn't know without being told... Read all three books whilst on Holiday so now need another holiday to put it all into practice...
These books will now be in pride of place on my book shelf as a reference, should I forget something...Worth every penny, but not dear anyway
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
If you'd only read the first book and loved it, and haven't read anything else about photography, then this could be a good book for you.
Sadly for everyone else the book doesn't go into enough detail or give nice tips that you wouldn't know already. The format worked really well for book 1, but it just doesn't for this the second book.

Good points:
Quick tips that could be a good jumping off point for someone who doesn't know where to go next
Good explanation of how to use off camera flash in TTL on Nikon and Canon cameras
Section on wedding is OK

Bad points:
Writing style - feels rushed, mostly filler and jokes fall flat
Images don't really help show techniques - no before and after photos, or lighting set up diagrams
Poor quality paper - feels cheap
Nearly all of the information can easily be found on the web
Subjects only covered in the smallest detail - would have to buy another book on the subject if in anyway interested

Conclusion
There are better books out there. It does feel that this book was rushed out because the first one (which I liked a lot) sold well.
I would recommend having a quick flick through the book before buying.
22 Comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse