on 7 July 2017
I like Rufus Wainwright as a singer and he does a good job with Judy Garland`s songs, picture and sound quality is excellent and it`s 16.9 not 4.3 aspect ratio as stated.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2007
The earlier reviewer who had concerns over the track listing needn't worry - the version screened on TV a few weeks ago was just a taster. Accompanied by full orchestra, Rufus Wainwright runs the gamut of Garland's 1961 concert repertoire -- from an intense The Man That Got Away to an almost unbearably sensitive Over The Rainbow. These are songs which have much in common with his own work, but he makes a surprisingly good stab at the lighter material, too - camping it up on San Francisco, turning Puttin' on the Ritz into a jazzy tour de force and infusing Zing Went The Strings of My Heart with lively vigour.

Although he doesn't quite have the febrile, edgy quality that made Garland so watchable, Rufus's voice is well-equipped for transmitting emotional subtlety as well as barnstorming drama. The highlight of the show might well be his gently understated reading of Noel Coward's wry If Love Were All, along with a guest spot from his sister Martha singing Stormy Weather like a cross between Bjork and Cate Blanchett.

Judy Garland's daughter Lorna Luft also makes a brief guest appearance, and Rufus's mother Kate McGarrigle provides some of the piano accompaniment. A slightly shambolic but hugely enjoyable encore sees the family reunited on a spontaneous Someone To Watch Over Me and a beautifully sparse Every Time We Say Goodbye.

This two-and-a-quarter hour DVD shows the gay messiah in all his glamorous glory. A great Christmas buy.
on 11 December 2007
I bought this for myself as a Christmas present but couldn't wait and have already watched it three times. It's absolutely fabulous and I only regret I didn't see it at the Palladium. The camera work is excellent and gets up close to see his expressive face. His voice is amazing, as is his interpretation of the songs. Martha and Kate are a wonderful bonus and my only reservation is the bits with Lorna Luft. I know I will watch it over and over as his performance is brilliant!
on 16 November 2007
I can't wait to own my own copy of both the DVD and the CD of Rufus's Judy concerts. Only he could pull off such a concert and he did so with his usual style, talent and passion. If you weren't lucky enough to have seen the show live in either the UK or the US, treat yourself to this and enjoy what we were fortunate enough to be able to have seen.
on 24 February 2008
Only Rufus could have done it. Such a talented singer and songwriter in his own right with nothing to prove.

Deciding to pay homage to one of entertainments greatest and most loved stars should have been risky and full of pitfalls. I am sure it was, but you will never notice as it turned into a complete and utter success.

A show to please even the most hardened lover of the past and most die hard critic of tribute albums.

It has been a project of love and because of that it has worked so well. You can feel the tribute to Judy and you can sense the overwhelming respect that Rufus has for her memory, and, even with all of that, the performance portrays his own unique personality.

Never to be done again but thankfully those in the know after the Carnegie concert made sure this was filmed for posterity and for that we should all be truly grateful.

Don't miss the chance to put into your music and film collection perhaps the most unique show ever.
on 11 January 2009
I was lucky enough to be at the London Palladium the night this DVD was filmed. As a long-time lover of the music of both Judy and Rufus, it was a night I wasn't going to miss. The show was great. Rufus, especially on the quieter numbers, was breathtaking. And the band was just amazing. This DVD is a great memento of a wonderful night but also stands up in its own right for people who weren't able to be there themselves.
on 21 December 2007
Before Kylie, before Madonna, before any other gay icon, there was Judy...
This album, for so many gay men, is the I-Ching. I can remember sitting on a train, heading into the bright lights of London town, listening to the original "Judy at Carnegie" album on my Walkman...learning and falling in love with the greatest collection of work in the Great American Songbook. I learnt more about love and life from this album than any other.
When I heard that Rufus Wainwright was going to re-create that magic night in 1961, I was both ecstatic and mightily concerned. I had long been a fan, to the point of major obsession, and was aware of his pretentious daring, but THIS?!?!?
I missed the Carnegie shows, and had to content myself with recorded snippets on YouTube. Then, the announcement...two shows at The Palladium and one in Paris...I had to see all three! Tickets bought, pressed and dressed, and it's showtime, folks!
As that legendary overture reached its climax, my heart was pounding...could he pull this off? Opening number, "When you're smiling"...it's THOSE arrangements with THAT voice, and it is all working brilliantly! "Almost like being in love", and that bell is ringing for maaaaaay..."Do it again", in the original key, and I can't breathe as his falsetto rides on top of the shimmering strings. This is magical!
"You go to my head", and he even slips in the "forgot the goddam words" bit...you've done your homework, Rufus, even to the point of standing on the same part of the stage as Judy did to deliver "Alone Together"...dedicated to his partner, Jorn, and sung with such intensity and passion. The next four songs take us from swing to ragtime to late-night jazz and he wins each time, peaking with "How long has this been going on", which is just perfect. Then, the big one..."The Man that got away". It is a well-known fact that Judy's arranger always pitched her songs a note above where she thought she could sing, so that she had to fight for it. I think that Rufus does this too. At times, you can feel him literally clawing his way up to the top notes...it makes for electrifying listening and viewing. The first half closes with "San Francisco", a barn-storming performance, full of kitsch and bravado...glorious!
Second half..."That's Entertainment"...all those tricky lyrics just fall off his tongue! "I can't give you anything but love"...so gentle and sublime, taken slowly and sung so beautifully. "Come Rain or come shine"...you try singing along with this, and see how many key changes you make! The "parlour" section of voice and piano is possibly Rufus at his best...three songs, concluding with "If love were all"...you can't screw around with Noel Coward, and he doesn't...glorious!
"Zing when the strings of my heart", and Rufus displays his dancing "talent"! You get the feeling that he has just "come out to play" and is still the little lad who got up first at the family hootenanny and wouldn't sit down! He plays the fool and you love him all the more for it! His sister, the sultry Martha, brings down the house with a wonderful rendition of "Stormy Weather"...the ghost of Lotte Lenya burns in her soul!
Down to the old folks home; "You made me love you", "Me and my gal" and then...the highlight; "The Trolley Song"...the sheer joy of this performance just bursts through the screen...cue mad mad mad applause! "Rock a bye your baby" and he is still hitting notes that defy gravity. "Over the Rainbow", with Mama at the piano...it's impossible to to take the ownership of this song away from Garland and he doesn't even try...just sings the song...lovely!
Final furlong..."Swanee" and he is living out his Jolson fantasies as well! "After you've gone" and Lorna Luft joins him and shakes her vibrato all about! "Chicago"...and I never thought I would get to shout the response to "and you will never guess where"!!! Fabulous stuff! "Get Happy"...not part of the original concert, but why the hell not!! A solo spot for Lorna and Martha, and gentle "Everytime we say Goodbye"...and it's all over!
This may read like a love letter...and so it should!
There will be those who say he should never have attempted this project. But watch this DVD and see the absolute passion and artistic integrity in every song, every note, every moment of this performance. Rufus does not impersonate Garland...THAT would be foolish! It is a tribute to one of the greatest singers of all time and to some of the greatest composers.
At one point, having struggled gamely to the end of "Come Rain or Come Shine", Rufus flops on a stool, messes his hair up for the umpteenth time and says "Insanity"...it is! It was! But it was a night I will never forget. He will never do the show again, and rightly so. He is an composer and singer, not a cabaret artist...but if you are going to bring your favourite "miming in the mirror" fantasy to life, do it with this much style!
Love you, Rufus!!!
Buy this DVD now!
on 6 February 2011
Having been a Rufus fan for years,My wife and I had the privilege of seeing him in person last year on his "All Days Are Nights"tour which was exceptional.
I have heard "Rufus Rufus Rufus does Judy Judy Judy" on many occasions on CD and was delighted to see it available on DVD (albeit the London show)
It is as good as anything I have ever seen.His flamboyance comes to the fore and his renditions of "Over The Rainbow","The Trolley medley""Rock A Bye Your Baby" "Swanee" in fact almost all the songs are highlights.My one fear was that the Lorna Luft segment would be a disappointment.Those fears were unfounded as she is simply wonderful. If you like Rufus, this is absolutely the ONE DVD you MUST buy
on 11 April 2010
For all Rufus Wainwright fans and Judy Garland fans this is a must buy, a great perfomance by Rufus filmed at the London Palladium, with the added bonus of guest appearancies of , Martha Wainwright, Lorna Luft and the late Kate McGarrigle. 31 fabulous songs.
on 9 February 2014
If you love Rufus Wainwright and you love Judy Garland then this will take you to musical heaven....Hard to imagine a chap singing Forget your Troubles but it works!