Customer reviews

Family Guy - Blue Harvest [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 6 August 2008
I have been waiting for this since November last year. I quickly bought the Special Edition, and when I got round to watching the episode I was disappointed.

This is supposed to be a spoof of Star Wars, when it's more of a homage. Scenes have been re-created wonderfully, but I wanted the FG team to make fun of Star Wars, and this rarely happens. Most of the humour is stale and predictable, and stretched out. I was watching the episode thinking "it'll get better", but it just doesn't.

The animation is wonderful, and like I mentioned before, A New Hope has been wonderfully recreated, so credit where credit's due. I don't know if it was just me, but I was expecting more.

The box itself is great... until you open the art cards and 3D glasses. They have a slot in which they're supposed to fit into, but they don't. Also, the box with the DVD inside keeps getting stuck on the outer cardboard box, creating a tear on the box which makes it harder to slot it back in.

Overall, a good episode. Not up to Family Guy's usual standards, but hopefully the next Star Wars "spoof" is better.
on 18 January 2008
Blue Harvest has got everything you ever loved about the movie Spaceballs and more. Stewie makes a hilarious Darth Vader, and all the trademark Family Guy humour is there from the outset.

But as a word of warning, have no confusion about what you're getting here: it's a double episode, not a full feature. Many of you will be left wanting more for your ten pounds, especially when this is bound to be included in the season 6 boxset next Christmas. But if you simply can't wait that long, you'll enjoy every minute.
44 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 June 2010
I can partially understand the disappointment with the special features of some of the other reviewers but would still recommend the title warmly. It is typically Family Guy style funny and the translation to the Star Wars universe was done to a T.

If you have an aversion to Star Wars - I assume such people are rare amongst family Guy fans - you might find it less appealing but I still think the double episode should be funny for non-SW fans, too.

Now back to the special goodies coming in the box. It's true that the box is hard to open first time around and that after you remove the T-shirt, there is too much space left. Mine did come with two sets of 3D glasses as stated and the T-shirt was a nice boon (cared less about the cards), especially since the special edition box set ended up costing less than the regular one - so what's not to like. The 3D episode did not really result in much of a 3D experience on our TV, glasses or not but then again the main attraction I bought this box set for was the main feature anyway, and that was a clear 5 out of 5 for me.
on 27 October 2009
I am a huge fan of Family Guy and also Robot Chicken too, both series have produced star wars parodies and Family Guy's offering is quite exceptional.

The casting of Family Guy characters into famous Star War Roles like Stewie as Darth Vader, Lois as Princess Leia and Peter achingly funny as Han Solo in my view is sheer genius. Each scene from Episode IV of George Lucas's masterpiece is given a funny makeover and each joke just fits in so perfectly, everything from links to modern culture to a simple mickey-take which always gets a big laugh.

The animation quality also is absolutely stunning, a huge leap compared to what you usually see from these people in the regular Family Guy series, but it is hard to notice that as you spend most of your time just laughing out loud at all the catchy gags.

Overall i dont feel that it is as good as the Star Wars specials produced by Robot Chicken but that is not a bad thing, this is still excellent entertainment, I for one cannot wait for the next Star Wars offering out in December 09.
on 9 April 2012
This is Family Guy does Star Wars, and they do it well. It's a loving parody of the original Star Wars movie, with Family Guy regulars taking on the familiar roles (Peter as Han Solo, Brian as Chewbacca, etc) and it's just as funny as you would expect from these guys well done guys , looking forward to the next ones in the series.
on 3 May 2009
`Blue Harvest' is the excellent `Family Guy' parody of Star Wars: A New Hope and it ticks every box you can imagine. It's extremely funny, well written, short yet sweet and it has Stewie as Dath Vadar, what more could you want? Condensing the whole Star Wars film into about 45-50 minutes, this film still manages to pack in hilarious gags and parodies the original, whilst still being deferential to it's influence on `Family Guy' itself. Seeing Stewie as Vadar, picking holes in the death stars design flaws and Peter as Han Solo, who rings his mum to let her know he's OK after a space battle, are just a few minor touches (out of many) that make this so delightful to watch. It may be short, but this is perfectly formed and if you're fan of `Family Guy' then this will be right up your street and if you've never seen it before then this isn't that bad a place to start either! Great viewing.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 10 September 2009
For me this was a combination of two of my favourite things, Star Wars and Family guy. It is the classic retelling of the tale of "A new hope" with family guy characters and with a family guy twist.

They've managed to assign a main character to each role as a Star Wars character (although I did wonder about Lois as Leia...) and it makes for very good entertainment although not as funny as Robot Chicken's first attempt and some of the writing isn't as good as the early seasons of Family guy. Although when you are retelling a story it is difficult to have all the family guy-esq "This is worse than that time I..." or sureal sides.

The extras are better on Blue Harvest than on Robot Chicken though, with an intro to the characters, a full length episode (North by north Quohog) and teaser for "Something something something darkside..." as well as an interview with George Lucas.

If you are a family guy fan and a star wars fan you'll love it!
on 30 July 2008
Family Guy Presents Blue Harvest [2007]

I caught a few minutes of this on a TV channel a while back and thought I would buy the DVD.

I think some of the comedy in this is first rate! There are a few lines that don't translate too well for the British audience but in general a good buy I think.
on 29 December 2009
Blue Harvest was a great addition to my Family Guy dvd collection.I have watched it more than any of my season dvds and I would recommend to a friend...and i did so when i bought it for my friend who will remain nameless at christmas he never stopped talking about the comedic sketches that are in this feature length episode.A treat for my friend and me.A classic addition to Family guy's vast empire.Great and worth buying!

I believe everyone worked a bit harder at the studio in the US for this episode and I enjoyed that.So I bought Something Something Something Darkside (Blue Harvest 2) from Amazon and it was even better than the first.

It is my friends favourite episode overall making it a pretty decent DVD.It is also his most watched DVD and it is cheap so this set is great value too.

Coming soon "we have a bad feeling about this" (return of the jedi)
on 19 March 2008
I love family guy, no doubt about it, BUT this is just not funny (roughly)... or a good buy... the box is disappointing and the SW episode of family guy is in a weird way one of the worst episodes in a long time...

I suggest you buy the seasons instead or this SINGLE episode in the normal box, unless you must own everything with the title 'family guy' tag on it...

Also, the content shown in the picture is NOT what you get! the white card things or the Black envelope is NOT in the box (the box in the picture 'folds 4 times' the box YOU get i 'folds 3 times')

AND when you get i you have to 'break' the box a little to open it (as described by another user)

AND you don't get a digital copy for you ipod like the US

If you want to see the episode, go buy the normal disc.... not the box...!