Customer reviews

Size: 14-35 mm|Style: 1:2.0|Change
Price:£2,116.53+ Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 10 July 2014
I bought this as an additional lens for my Olympus E-600. I planned to use it as a walk around lens that's semi-permanently attached to my camera because it had a good range of focal lengths, and a reputation for sharpness.

My first impression was that it was heavy, but that said, it lives up to its' reputation, the images it creates are really sharp. Given that this is a major factor when it comes to considering "good lenses", I recommend this lens.
on 30 October 2013
I purchased this to replace my 14~54 for the extra "pulling power" at each end & I am delighted with its performance..it is equally as good as my old lens & is as described in the ad. so no problems at all !!
on 19 February 2015
Other reviewers, such as those on amazon.com, have quite rightly described this zoom lens as possessing the best attributes of all the prime lens focal lengths typically associated with portrait photography, with a few extra added on besides. It is supremely sharp at all the apertures I've tried throughout the zoom range, but have hardly ever used it as a conventional portrait lens. My own subjects have mostly been zoo animals and show jumping horses. The only times it has let me down have been when I've chosen the wrong focus mode on moving subjects and that's been more to do with the obvious limitations of my E-3 camera and my own technique.

The colour rendition is superb. If you are using Lightroom or Camera Raw, you might wish to consider the 2010 Adobe colour calibration, because I've found that more recent versions leave parts of my own images too dark. There is absolutely no point in applying VSCO or similar film simulation software, because you will never improve on the colours Olympus provides itself. Once again, if you move up, as I have done, from the excellent Olympus ZD 'High Grade' to 'Super High Grade' lenses, the all-round levels of sharpness, depth of colour and to a lesser extent degree of contrast improves progressively. You will not be disappointed with image quality, I can promise you that.

To be honest, the fast aperture of this lens is somewhat wasted on my photography, because the invariably bright outdoor light in Portugal rarely necessitates the lens being used wide open. This in turn means the lens is bigger and heavier than I need or would like it to be. I was out for three hours in the afternoon sun yesterday and felt really tired, after dragging this weighty lens around my neck or across my back. I wouldn't recommend that particular experience to anyone. If you're out of your car quickly and into a studio or arena however, the weight and general heft shouldn't be a problem. Holding the lens by hand isn't particularly difficult and my arms are skinny.

There is no hint of vignetting, distortion or chromatic aberration to be found at any focal length. A review on lenstip.com suggests the lens is mediocre when working against direct sun or glare, but I could find no evidence of that in my own copy. Some portrait shooters no doubt would prefer backlighting when outdoors, but my own style is different so please don't base your decisions merely on my findings regarding this particular aspect.

There is a three options focus range limiter and it has to be admitted that the lens is not lightning fast to find new targets. But accuracy is very good, especially on static subjects.

This lens was built for the Four Thirds system and I have no doubt whatsoever that it comfortably out-resolves my 10 megapixel E-3 sensor. The problem for micro four thirds is that only the E-M1 has a phase detect autofocus, and I believe that none of its sensors are of the cross-hatched variety found in my Canon 5D mark iii, for example. So there is no chance that the lens will focus as well on moving subjects, or snappily like other MFT lenses and in any case, it is extremely bulky and would be poorly balanced on an E-M1 in my opinion. I would love to use the lens on a 16 megapixel camera and I'm supremely confident that images would still look stunning. For the present however, I would most certainly not recommend the purchase of the lens specifically for a MFT camera. There are more suitable options out there already, although optically I doubt they're as good let alone better than this model.

A wonderful lens certainly, but something of an extravagant purchase for me and in this day and age, with the Four Thirds system regrettably consigned to the dustbin, a minority interest item. Think carefully whether the pleasure of viewing your beautiful images will outweigh the inconveniences of obtaining them.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 3 June 2013
My E3 body came with the Zuiko 12-60mm lens, and I couldn't get over the quality of the pictures from that. It's a great lens, with a good focal length, capable of taking stunning pictures.

When I bought my E5 body, I looked at this 14-35mm lens. I'd read so many good things about it, but I wasn't sure if, compared to the 12-60mm, the cost of this lens would be worth it. I decided to take the plunge.

Even when I first got the lens, I was uncertain. I did the usual snapshots thing, and the results were pleasing. It wasn't until I'd had the lens for about five weeks, and went back through my pictures, that I could see just how good this lens is.

The pictures it takes are pin sharp. It matches the sharpness of the E5 sensor. Objects no more than 3 pixels wide in a photo can be very accurately rendered. The lens is bright, and allows great control of depth of field, with very acceptable 'bokeh'.

However, the characteristic that most sells the lens to me is the vividness and contrast in the pictures it takes. I'd never have believed just how great a difference a top-of-the-range lens could make.

Be aware though, that if you buy this lens, you will start to look at your other lenses and wonder about upgrading them!

Go on, buy it!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 28 June 2016
This is such a fantastic lens, I couldn't consider giving it anything less than five stars, but you knew that anyway. The reason you're reading this review is that you've got an E5 and you've already bought a 14-35 lens, and you've been so incredibly impressed with it that it's now your main lens, and you've put your 12-60 to one side because you never use it, and though you're happy with your 50 to 200 lens you're now wondering whether it's worth the cost and the weight to upgrade to this. Let me tell you straight away, that I don't think I can advise you, but if you're interested, let me tell you my story, and see if it helps.

I've always been an Olympus person. I started in the seventies with OM1 and OM2s, and it was natural when I started with digital that I should get an E10 then an E20. This was the point at which digital became better on balance than film, and I made a definite choice at this point to stay with Olympus simply because they had the 4/3rds format, when everyone else was going letterbox. I started with and E3, and upgraded in a half-hearted way to an E5, using the standard 12-60, plus the very long but basic 70-300. Suddenly though the sensors in cameras had become better, and I could so easily see the flaws in the 70-300. I got the 50-200, and was delighted to find that at 200 on the new lens I could capture more detail than at 300 on the old lens. The 50 to 200 was almost as good as the 12-60 throughout it's range.

Then I toyed with the idea of the 14-35. I didn't believe it could improve on the 12-60, because in my eyes the pictures it took were flawless. In the end I gave in, and within a week I realised that they gain wasn't better definition, it was instead brilliant contrast and brilliant colours. Now I'm never without this lens - it's the best lens that I've ever owned, and possible will ever in the future. I use it endlessly.

The next step for me was the 7-14, which is another of Olympus' top pro lenses. It makes me anxious to use it, as there is no possibility of a protective lens, as the glass sticks out so much. However, I've had such fun with it. It's a brilliant ultra wide lens, takes photos that are full of life and colour, and get you right into the action - just plain good fun.

So, in my move to getting top pro lenses, I next bought the 70mm macro lens. Yes, it can be used for portraits, but it's really too long for convenience. And indeed, it does do good macro, though be aware that you do need to get a proper flash - those LED ones don't cut the mustard - all the antishake in the world doesn't cope with a macro lens, and your only solution is to stop the motion with a sharp flash. Yes, its a technically great and light lens, but I've never really got any true pleasure from it...

... and thus I've come to this lens. I've bought one now, and have done all the stuff you do - comparisons with the 50 - 200. At 200, there's more detail than in the 35-100 at 100. That's inevitable really as the 50 - 200 is pixel sharp. And even with a 2x converter, which I have, the 5-100 is no sharper at the top end, though a little bit brighter. But this time I know what I'm looking for. Not end of the lens detail, but the same contrast and brightness and colour in my pictures that I found with the 14-35. This lens delivers it all. I've been using it at dawn and dusk, for badgers and foxes, with great results. Oh, and guillemots too, though they sadly are just a bit too far away! I'm really pleased with it, and wish I hadn't waited so long to get it. It is rather heavy, but not impossibly so. It's not something that you'd choose to go out walking with, but if you've got a shot in mind, it's certainly worth carrying it, and the weight of the lens is near the far end of the camera, which means it's easy to hold steady.

This is a lens that's at the end of a line, and I know that I'll have to move on one day. Some people say that this isn't for someone who isn't a fully fledged professional photographer, but if you enjoy photography and want to extend the quality of your photos beyond the mid-range, then I'd reluctantly say to you that yes, this lens is worth having.
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2011
As a 'standard' lens, with a 35mm equivalent of 24-120mm, this lens takes a lot of beating. Autofocus on my E3 is sharp and immediate, and the viewfinder image is bright and clear. Like all of the 'pro' lenses, it is beautifully built, water resistant, well balanced, and just feels right to use.
Used with the FL-50R flash in 'Auto TTL' mode, this lens is on my camera for about 80% of the time, and has produced thousands of accurately exposed, high quality images.
Not cheap, but nothing of this quality ever is. If you can't afford it, save up for it, you won't regret it.
on 28 June 2010
I bought my Olympus E-620 as I wanted a compact and light DSLR system, so it may seem strange that I bought this lens - which is much larger and heavier than the standard kit lens. However I have no regrets as the quality of this lens, in terms of its build quality and image results are simply outstanding.
This lens is now my standard carry round lens and I do not find its weight and size a problem. The 12-60mm focal length range covers so many situations and the minor, inevitable distortion at 12mm is easily corrected.
In summary - a stunning lens, worth every penny
on 29 December 2009
Superb optics, sharp wide open, very fast & quiet autofocus and environmental sealing. This is just about the perfect walkabout lens. The only minor downside is some wave-like distortion at 12mm - PTlens plugin for Photoshop resolves this problem.

If you want a DSLR and one lens solution then Olympus have the answer.
on 17 October 2012
Although a complete Zuikoholic, I thought long and hard about switching brands when I went digital. But my lifelong love affair with Zuiko glass made me give Olympus a try. I'd imagined it would take me some considerable time to build up a suite of lenses to match my OM gems. How wrong I was. This lens and the E5 are a sublime combination. I'll probably never know how good the E5 sensor cleaner is because I can't see the point of ever taking it off again. Build quality and autofocus speed are top class and the zoom and focus rings are silky smooth. I can guarantee anyone who rates this lens less than 5 stars doesn't actually own it.
on 22 August 2009
This is a very fine lens. Crisp, fast, lightweight, incredibly versatile - the one you have on your Olympus to walk around with and rarely need to remove. I bought it not very long after its debut a few years ago and, despite its cost, have never looked back to my kit lens. A real step up. Yes - there is some distortion at the widest angle, for sure, but most of the time it is far from obvious. I doubt you'd regret the purchase. Very highly recommended.