on 18 February 2009
To say it's 90% recycled is an exaggeration. Yes, it's partly material we've seen before, but I expected that even before the DVD came out. The problem for me is that it's not clever, or witty, just offensive. It's an entire show of "What's the most offensive/shocking thing I can say about..." and then he says it, interspersed with worn-out and predictable audience interactions.
Don't get me wrong - the content didn't offend or shock me. It just didn't make me laugh much either. Not recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 24 November 2008
In response to some of the reviews... yes, I did recognise a couple of the jokes from Mock the Week, however there's no way most of the material on this DVD would have been part of MTW - it's far too offensive and un-pc for broadcast! If you like Frankie on MTW, you'll love this DVD - it's Frankie ungagged and uncut for the first time!
5 people found this helpful
on 2 March 2009
I bought this on the strength of Mock The Week, where I enjoy Frankie's below the belt humour. However for me on the DVD he goes too far - swearing continuously throughout, jokes about disabled kids... I mean, come on, that's just not funny.

If he can cut down on the swearing he'd be much funnier. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the odd F-word in context, but every other sentence and it's too much. Not comfortable viewing.

I watched 15 mins, turned it off, and gave the DVD away the day after.

I had such high hopes, but ended up being let down.

I'll still watch him on Mock The Week, where he excels, but I will not be buying any more of his DVDs if this what he is going to be serving up.
on 30 June 2011
the problem with other funny comedian's stand up dvd's (e.g michael mcintyre, jimmy carr, peter kay etc) is that even though their good the first time you watch them, thats pretty much it. you can't watch them over and over and get the same enjoyment you did the first time (with the exception of peter kay 'live at the top of the tower')
well with this dvd you can watch it again and again and laugh your bo**ocks off every time!
this dvd is comedy genius. yes there is a lot of previous material from MTW, but there isn't a comedian on the planet that uses totally fresh material for every new show.
if you like frankie and get what he's about then you will love this.
2 people found this helpful
on 1 January 2009
Like other reviewers I was disappointed when I watched this DVD as most of the really funny stuff I had heard before on Mock the Week and Live at the Apollo. If you want a really good laugh, get the new Russell Howard Live DVD - he is way funnier live than he is on Mock the Week!
One person found this helpful
on 24 November 2008
I saw Frankie Boyle live last night and resisted buying the DVD before I'd seen him live. I was in pain from laughing so hard from beginning to end. There were some jokes in there I'd heard before but unless you've memorised Mock the Week I can't see how anyone could complain. There's hundreds of jokes I'd never heard before and loads that had been on MTW that weren't used here. His routine is less "routine" and more a bitter and fantastically sarcastic trail through his very dark and razor sharp style of comedy. I haven't seen the extras on the DVD but I can't recommend the show enough.
4 people found this helpful
on 8 December 2009
I was really looking forward to this especially after his performances on "mock the week" but I can oly describe it has hugely dissapointing. Yes he shocks and at times funny but a lot of his material I had heard before on "MtW" so second time round it didn't hit as hard. After I saw Lee Mack who I thought was superb, Boyle would be his big rival as the funiest man but unfortunately he doesn't live upto the billing
on 22 November 2008
Just watched with my boyfriend - and thought it was terribly poor. I like Frankie Boyle on Mock the Week and was prepared for his taste in humour, but:

a.) As many others have said, 90% of the jokes I had heard before.

b.) The ones I hadn't heard were in such terrible taste, at one point I had to turn away. Particularly the joke about Shannon Matthews - I'm sorry, but I thought that was horrendous.

The show was incredibly lazy, boring, at one point he showed himself up to be a complete idiot when "getting the banter" with one particular audience member, and at times just plain horrific. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Incidentally, my boyfriend, a huge (and Scottish, unlike myself) Frankie Boyle fan, thought he'd let himself down.

I maybe laughed twice.
4 people found this helpful
on 6 January 2009
I have only recently come to know Frankie Boyle's work, on Mock the Week, which I am watching re runs of on Dave every other day. I was impressed by him on the show, and bought this dvd based on this.
I was stunned by the show, in a bad way, and hardly got a laugh out of it at all. Why? Because I'd say that some 70% of the material is recycled stuff from Mock the Week. I was really annoyed actually! I noticed a lot of the audience shown weren't laughing either, imagine going to a comedy gig to hear the same gags you've heard on television. I think it's a poor show, in more ways than one.
If you've seen Mock the Week on a regular basis, don't waste your time or money with this.
8 people found this helpful
on 19 April 2009
I was looking forward to this release but was thoroughly disappointed. I was hoping the material was going to be witty and insightful. Instead it was just a torrent of cheap, crude gags. Come on Frankie, you can do much better than this!