on 24 February 2014
A very enjoyable Show to Watch which should be shown more on TV for everyone, A Great Boxset wish there where more Seasons of the Show but they always cancel the Good Shows and we are left with bad taste on TV and that's why we get so much crime with no Heros to watch and look upto for the childen in years to come, anyway A Great Family Show Buy IT !!!!
on 25 July 2008
I have a region free dvd player, so I can watch this even in the USA. I loved this show when it was on, and am glad I found it on dvd. It is a decent adaptation of the Tarzan legend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. DVDs have great picture quality amd great menus.
on 13 September 2014
Nice box set thanks
on 13 November 2008
An avid fan of the magnificent Edgar Rice Burroughs novels since my early teens, it's always been a source of despair that every film or tv series maker has decided to create their own 'interpretation' of the Tarzan stories and characters, portraying Tarzan as a muscle bound half wit barely able to string two words together.

The legend of Greystoke was perhaps the closest but still had to add it's own twist to the story which in no way reflected the excellent storyline penned by Burroughs, and again detracted from the authors original portrayal of the complex, savage and highly intelligent man raised by apes in a hostile jungle.

I bought this series based on a couple of reviews including the one previously here on Amazon. I have to say I'm EXTREMELY disappointed... At first Joe Lara seemed just the ticket, in the opening moments of the first episode, I thought 'aha, here we go, Tarzan portrayed as intelligent, and proud, with the aura of noble savageness that you would expect from the king of a brutal tribe of wild apes'...

That's about as far as it went, the story had little resemblance to the original, the fight scenes were laughable (in the novels Tarzan would attack like a crazed animal, the thin tissue of civility dropping from him in shreds, gouging ripping and tearing with teeth, fingers of steel, and his knife)... In this he `punches' and `pushes' his way through VERY poorly choreographed clashes, with not a single growl or bite, indeed not any display of the reflexes or cunning that kept a man alive on the razors edge of survival in a callous jungle environment.

And as for the climbing scenes, well... Anyone remember the shockingly poor 70's Spider-Man series with Nicholas Hammond? Where we were supposed to believe he was walking up the walls like a spider as we watched him dragged up a building on a rope with his arms and legs flailing in a spandex `spider' like way?... This is worse.

Whatever you do, save your money, or go for Johnny Weissmuller, at least in 1932 there was an excuse for poor conception and direction, but the swinging through the trees `special effects' and the original Tarzan `cry' are priceless memories from my childhood.
on 11 July 2012
This is a high quality release of the first half of the series. The cover clearly states that it contains episodes 1-11 (which is correct), why amazon calls it part 1-12 I don't know. The original "this time on Tarzan" introductions for the TV viewers could have been left out.