Live Over Europe: 2007 (2CD)
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 May 2017
A live album from a tour where Genesis look back on their career, initially in the 1970s as one of the main bands of the English progressive rock scene and then as purveyors of classy pop rock in the 1980s and 1990s.

Here are several different ways of looking at the setlist of the album:

Duke's Intro (Behind The Lines) from Duke
Turn It On Again from Duke
No Son Of Mine from We Can't Dance
Land Of Confusion from Invisible Touch
In The Cage/Cinema Show/Duke's Travels medley - from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway/Selling England By The Pound/Duke
Afterglow from Wind & Wuthering

Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Invisible Touch from Invisible Touch
I Can't Dance from Invisible Touch
Carpet Crawlers from The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway

The album is a reasonable representation of the 25 songs setlist.fm says have been played at Genesis concerts

1 Drum Duet
2 Los Endos
3 In the Cage
4 I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe)
5 Afterglow
6 Turn It On Again
7 Firth Of The Forth
10 Carpet Crawlers
11 The Cinema Show (included in the In The Cage medley)
12 Follow You Follow Me
16= Home By The Sea
16= Second Home By The Sea
20 Mama
21 Invisible Touch
23 Domino
24 Land Of Confusion
25 Throwing It All Away

Missing from the top 20 are 8) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, 9) Dance On A Volcano, 13) Musical Box, 14) Supper's Ready, 15) Squonk, 18) The Colony Of The Slippermen, 19) Abacab, 22) In That Quiet Earth

For my tastes, there's too much of the later pop rock and too little of the early prog rock which is why this album can't be considered instead of Seconds Out from 1976/77. However I feel it's a much better balance of their career than the twin live album called The Way Walk, the Shorts and The Longs mainly recorded in 1992. That said, I don't feel the revulsion that I did at the time to the sell out to commercialism in the late 1970s onwards.

As for the performance, the band has mellowed as it has got older. The vocals are a little lower and the songs feel as if they've been slowed down which can make them feel lethargic if you want to be critical.

What we are left with is a pleasant summary of the highlights of their career from midway through the Peter Gabriel era, through what I think of as the Collins/Hackett era and then the final threesome. For me, what Steve Hackett was doing with his Genesis Revisited tour is more interesting if you want an update on the classic 1970s band, Genesis Revisited: Live At Hammersmith. It has a superb selection of songs which are very well done and Hackett's guitar doesn't disappear in the mix.
on 17 May 2017
What's not to like a great band at the top of their game.
on 6 January 2015
This is a great album and the sound is generally superb.
Pretty good mix of the old and the new as regards the songs although I might have changed a couple.
Phil's voice (and hands) still hold-up well throughout and as usual Tony's keys are superb.
I guess Steve Hackett and his virtuosity would have improved things too and gained the album 5 stars but then we can only wish.
(No disrespect intended to DS - or MR.)
Really pleased with the cd.
on 2 August 2017
Excellent delivery high quality very happy with item
on 23 September 2017
If you like Genesis... what else is there to say?
on 6 November 2017
Good product, as described . Thanks.
on 25 March 2017
great
on 24 October 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 8 December 2007
Genesis followers fall into numerous factions-the Gabriels vs. Collins, Longs vs. shorts, progs vs. pops, and 70's vs. 80's crowds.

The band went from excellent prog rockers to pop rockers-like it or not. And this album takes the best of the lot, and shows that Genesis can still perform with vitality, energy, and panache...live!

Many other bands and artists of the same era that still tour offer up sloppy sounds, poor production and ropey vocal work. On this album Genesis demonstrate respect for their audience. A premium ticket price for a premium show. I didn't see one of these shows, but on the strength of this album I wish I had.

The tracks are the definitive mix of `old' and `new' Genesis. The songs sound fresh and well produced. Collins's voice has been pitched a little lower, but the production is good enough for me-previous reviewers have griped about the sound quality, but playing it loud is still good enough for my non-digital hearing.

Why 4 stars? Every track is excellent, but on multiple plays I'd take `One for the Vine' or another 70's song over "Two stools' anytime.

This album proves the band can still perform with the freshness and professionalism with which I saw them perform at Bingley Hall in the 70's.

OK, you've heard all these tracks before, but treat yourself, buy this album and enjoy them once more.
on 20 February 2009
I bought this double CD many, many month's ago, and it's STILL being played in my car and at home. The musicianship is outstanding, and the CD quality - although lacking Phil's intros, and Tarantella during "I know what it's like", is excellent.

A further couple of gripes: I bought the sound-deck recording of the Twickenham show, and the intro to Turn It On Again lasts for over 50seconds (the build up is immense, and one is left longing for Phil to say "1-2-3-4" - just awesome!); play-through the "Cage" medley to Afterglow, and you get another extended intro into Afterglow- yet when get into Afterglow and hit "replay", you only get 4 bars' intro. A pity, on both accounts - why didn't the CD production engineer(s) give the CD a 'more live' feel?

Having moaned about that, this is still a seriously good live CD; hence 4 stars. I'm just being picky; I could have given it the full five stars.

I have read other reviews criticising Phil's voice. How old was he during this tour - 56/57+ ? There is no way that he can retain, especially live, the high register voice of his earlier years. I personally think that his vocal performance on Ripples, Afterglow, and Carpet Crawlers are more akin (albeit a semi-tone/key lower) to the original versions, and I think he does a fantastic job - no longer is he "clipping" words because he can't reach the final notes.
I may stand alone on this, but I actually liked Phil's voice on Trick, Wuthering, Three. It was only on Duke that his voice took a harsher feel. I can enjoy Smokey Robinson's falsetto on "Being With You" as much as I can Meat Loaf's gravel-voice on "Bat Out of Hell". Every song warrants its own different feel. In my opinion, Phil delivers on all accounts On this CD/DVD, with both the harder/aggressive and softer/soulful songs; if it's a key lower, then so what?! Personally, I think Phil sounds great. What a pity there won't be more from this great British band.

I heartily recommend this CD, and indeed the DVD package.