on 9 May 2012
I would rate this as probably the worst item I have purchased ! If you rotate the lever clockwise, the knob unscrews and drops off. The shutter over the bean hopper was extrememly stiff and difficult to move. And to grind enough coffee for two mugs is equivalent to a good work out in the gym I reckon !! Electric burr grinders are now so reasonably priced I would avoid this manual one like the plague ! I have given it one star purely because at least it looks nice !
on 3 July 2012
I received one of these as a gift. It took some effort to get it to work at all: The top handle would unscrew itself until I used a file to allow it to site deeper on the axle, allowing the connecting bolt to screw on for real. The handle knob unscrews itself when you crank. The grinding assembly at the core of the unit is held in place by screws which themselves are not solid in the wooden frame so if you aren't extremely careful it will come unstuck.

This seems like more of a novelty device than an actual kitchen tool. I wanted a hand grinder because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, but it is just not worth the hassle.

Just don't bother.
on 29 May 2009
Takes ages to grind to fine powder and alot of effort, only manages to produce after all the effort about enough coffee for one cup!
go for a proper one ull only be dissapointed.
on 26 February 2013
Item has now broken rendering it useless except as an ornament.
One of the nuts that secure the grinding mechanism fell off into the little drawer underneath. It is impossible to reaffix this nut without taking the whole thing to pieces due to the limited space available to access the bolt and tighten the nut.
Before it broke it functioned okay except that it would take ages to grind enough beans for one decent cup of coffee.
It looks nice as an ornament though!
on 31 December 2012
I received this as a present so can't take it back and get one that works!! It takes an age and a lot of work to get the amount of coffee for only one cup.
The handle falls off when grinding and the edges of the handle are almost sharp. Adjusting the grind from coarse to fine doesn't work.
Didin't want to give it any stars. Rubbish! Now I have to go and get one that works.
on 22 August 2013
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!
First time used, set handle to grind size required, turned handle then opened drawer to inspect, the draw had wood in it off the equipment.
Took wood out adjusted grinder and repeated, opened draw one of the catches to locate the drawer fell off.
Had another go adjusted head again as grind not right for me yet, gave a dozen or so turns, opened the drawer and the two nuts to hold the grinder in the box were off and in the coffee, I may not consider myself lucky but 3 things broke on the first time i used it thats not right, i threw mine in the bin and will be looking elsewhere, may pay more but i expect better than that, it basically is in my words "NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE"!!!!!!!!!
on 25 March 2013
I have a simiar problem with the screwing mechanism being too short as another review. However, I have another one of the same which has been fine. I should have sent the faulty one back but initially I thought that I had put it together wrong.
on 27 July 2013
Its rubbish - no point in adding to all the other negative reviews because my complaints are exactly the same. First time I've been genuinely disappointed with something I've bought off Amazon.
on 4 May 2014
doesnt grind anywhere near espresso fine,but for the price i cant complain for the price paid. electric grinder will do better job.but you get what you pay for!!
on 15 October 2013
it's a great little thing. Cheap and versatile, will grind fine for percolators medium or coarse for a French press.