on 15 April 2012
Never welded before so this was a leap of faith purchase and I'm pleased to report that i am very pleased, I'm welding.
Had a minor problem to start with, kept blowing fuses but in fairness it does say in the instruction book (what man reads instructions) use a 16amp fuse, problem resolved.
The machine came with a hammer/wire brush combo which is more than adequate and a hand held welding mask, this item was cracked on delivery but it is still usable, just stuck a little tape over the crack.
All said and done i would recommend this package to any budding welder. I'm near completion of my first home made log stove and plans are whirring for my home made log burning patio heater (just a big kid :@) )
on 9 October 2010
I got this because my other welder broke and I needed one quick. Well after a week of rigorous use I am very pleased. While heavier than expected (it replaced a very portable inverter) It took near on an hour of continuous welding before the thermal cutout set in, fan came on for about 5-10 mins and then it was ready again.

A couple of reasons it is not getting the full five stars though, the leads are very short (around 1.5m) and not easily replaceable and the humm from the machine is relatively loud (only really an issue if you'll be welding all day long). Having said that, for the price I would still choose this machine again!
on 9 April 2016
works perfectly for my needs
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 December 2014
Arrived with bare wires and no plug of any kind attached. I had a few concerns about the instructions contradicting what other people say in comments and other websites regarding the type of plug/size of fuse required, but having attached a standard household plug with 13 amp fuse, so far it has worked perfectly and the fuse has yet to blow. Having said that, I have only use the welder for a very limited time - I guess time will tell.

As others have commented, the earthing lead is particularly short, though this has not caused me any issues. Everything seems to work as it should and I am looking forward to putting this through its paces in future. I will update this review if my opinion changes with more experience
I was new to welding when I bought the Silverline a few years back. Following another reviewer's recommendation I replaced the fuse to avoid blow outs (by putting a higher amperage), yet after getting used to the handling I refit the original fuse.

I have since moved to mig welding, yet I still use the Silverline quite often, especially when working outside or on thick iron.

Being still relatively green to welding, I find that it is much easier to use this welder than a mig welder.
- Requires less surface preparation
- Provides more penetration resulting in a solid bond
- Can be used outside even when windy

The 55 to 160Amp rating means that it can handle most jobs with ease. The small footprint, portability and functionality of the Silverline make it worthy of serious consideration.

Highly recommended
on 16 May 2011
The welder is fantastic for the price I paid... I bought a cheaper one, earlier which kept on tripping after every five minutes.... It has done the job as expected... pleased with the product...
on 1 May 2011
I am new to welding and this equipment has worked really well. The power range is perfect for a beginner. There is nothing too complicated to work, but in the instructions I would have appreciated an explanation of the tables printed on top of the welder. A better quality guard would have been very welcomed.
There are better value machines but they are cumbersome and too heavy to lug about. This Silverline 160 amp is just right and I would recommend it without hesitation.
on 16 May 2013
As with other reviews, I found the mask damaged on delivery and the short leads will restrict its usefulness for sure. The earth clamp isn't copper as the picture suggests, but the leads are flexible enough.

However, what's not immediately apparently is how much you have to turn the knob to adjust the current. The knob pulls a marker along under the perspex window on top. So, turn, turn, turn, turn, a bit of a nuisance when welding different thicknesses to fix odds and sods.

Also, the mains lead comes bare ended for a reason - this welding machine will pull 16 amps if you set the welding current to maximum. So, if you want to weld some thick metal on a high current don't use a 13amp plug. If to be used above 130 the wires should be screwed into a 20amp outlet, but big toggle switch would be better e.g. BG Nexus 1G DP IP66 Switch S..Fix 82003 will allow you to isolate the power when you're done. The jumbo toggle would be handy when you're wearing gauntlets.
on 21 March 2013
Seems to work ok and is capable of welding reasonably thick metal on the higher settings in my inexperienced hands. Thermal cut out can be a pain as it takes a while to kick back in. Overall I am impressed
on 11 October 2011
Article arrived on time, by the supplier. works well, however the plastic that covers the sheild was broken, which could end in you getting arc eye