Worrisome Heart
Format: Audio CD|Change

HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 July 2010
In a bit of an overcrowded market it's unusual to hear a young jazz chanteuse that manages to rise above the crowd. Melody Gardot is such a one.

This is a classy and intelligent album. Gardot's nicely modulated breathy delivery is complimented by an elegant sounding backing band. The best comparison I can draw is with Billie Holliday - Gardot's voice doesn't have the same power, but it does have the same intensity and technical skill, and the style of the backing band is similar. I especially enjoyed the rather good trumpet lines. Actually, thinking about it, I was also rather reminded of Chris Rea's recent `Blue Jukebox' album.

This is a set of well crafted catchy tunes, all composed by Gardot. The lyrics are intelligent and literate, mainly tales of regret and loss. Gardot's clear diction allows every syllable to be clearly heard. The words are meaningful, but never too schmaltzy. The mood is definitely blue, evoking images of dark smokey late night bars, where people go to be on their own, listening to the singer and crying gently into their drinks.

If I have any criticism of the album it would be the unvarying tempo, all the tracks have a slow, shuffling pace which suits the mood, but I felt that one or two tracks with a faster beat would have just lifted the album to the highest height.

Recommended to all fans of classy, elegant jazz/blues. I really look forward to hearing Gardot's next album.
on 16 February 2018
My intro for this singer came from Spotify, and I'm so glad that I heard it. As a result I just had to bye it. I am so glad that I did. I just love this CD.
The purchase went through quickly.
Thank you.
on 9 June 2015
I don't think anything will ever match up to Melody Gardot's first album but this is another fantastic record from the lady with the most amazing, sultry and seductive voice singing today. Smoky vocals to match great tunes and perfect for lazy summer evenings outdoors or cosy winter ones in front of the fire.
on 13 March 2015
Gardot's voice is soft as velvet, warm and vaporous as a hot bath. The homonymous song ("Worrisome heart") is the finest example, and the best song of the CD. Next in line I'd put "Love me like a river does", languid and sexy. All in all, a mellow CD that will be liked by anyone with a little of soul and good ear.
on 18 November 2017
Give her a listen, cracking vocal, not sure why she has not go the recognition she deserves, much better than a lot of the female vocals that are out there at the moment.
on 24 September 2017
Great album
on 3 March 2016
The music is wonderful, as is anything the Melody Gardot does. She is an interesting person in that she was struck by a car and for a while it seemed that she would be a paraplegic. She used music as part of her recovery routine, and today is one of the best jazz singers on the planet. Amazing lady.
on 27 September 2017
Great!
on 4 September 2012
Magnificent music! The romantic jazz which gives possibility of reflection and possibility of feelings. Melody Gardot absolutely young singer, but her penetrating manner of performance close to a manner of Norah Jones, allows to assume that it not only perfectly feels executed melodies, but Melody also is clever. Generally, it is not boringly to listen!
on 22 April 2012
I knew her as a friend of mine took me to see her concert in central London two years or so ago. Melody Gardot is an elegant lady of jazz and great live entertainer. I never get tired of her voice/music, definitely going to buy more music from her. You don't get wrong with this wonderful album.