on 27 June 2015
In past trips to the USA, I've always relied on maps & sign posts which are all OK but getting lost & trying to find your way or trying to find a specific building on a long street of various buildings has been a chore. For this year, we were going to Orlando to do the Disney bit & we were staying in Davenport which is a few miles away from Disney. After Disney, we were going south to Naples on the west coast of Florida so I wanted to be able to find my way to the places we wanted to visit in the easiest way. I decided to take my Garmin Nuvi satnav & get a USA map for it.
The Garmin City Navigator is a preprogrammed micro SD card that slots in the appropriate port on the side of the Garmin. On switching on the unit once we got to Florida, the satnav asked me to confirm that I wanted to use its USA maps and all I then had to do was enter the destination & press Go!
The required destination data to be entered was the Zip code, the building or house number & the street name. For restaurants etc., we looked up their web sites on our laptop to get the full address & then entered this information into the Garmin. The satnav took us directly to our destination each time - it was so easy!
I would highly recommend buying this satnav mapping card & it easily paid for itself in being far cheaper than hiring a satnav with the rental car & it saved time, fuel & aggravation in trying to get around. Future trips to the USA will certainly include my satnav with this card.
on 29 December 2015
Have just returned from the USA. Used the Satnav 20 plus times and it was spot on each time. Glad I purchased this before we went. Proved invaluable well worth the money.
No problems with SD card installed it in my Garmin Satnav and ready to go.
The SD card provided all the usual things found in the UK maps but with extras, such as speed warnings of school areas.(Only at school times amazing)
on 8 November 2015
I bought this because it was significantly cheaper than renting a sat nav from the car rental companies (over $200 for 2 weeks) at Miami International Airport. It was pretty good for getting around generally but I've marked it down to 3 stars for the following reasons.
The packaging on mine carries a 2013 copywright so it is an already outdated map, and there is a LOT of road construction work going on on the outskirts of Miami.
I also encountered situations where the device was telling me to turn left, and when I looked at the screen, the pink line clearly showed a right turn. I've had this in Central London also so maybe it's a problem with the Nuvi rather than the actual mapping.
On one occasion, the highway ahead of me branched off into 3 directions. The device gave me plenty of warning to be in 'the 2 left hand lanes' - great!. When we got closer to the junction and could read the overhead signs, I realised that we should be in the right hand lanes. At this point the device issued a new instruction but I had no space to change lanes at 70mph on a busy highyway.
So for me it was Ok, it got us from Miami, down to Key West and all the way up to Orlando and the Kennedy Space Centre, but you need to keep your wits about you, as they say.
on 1 September 2011
I bought this as it had good reviews on Amazon and they were right! You get the SD card from Amazon, you slot it in, you switch your Garmin on in the US and... it works!! Two pieces of advice:
- it will take quite a while (2 minutes or so) for the unit to locate the satellites
- you may need to help your unit find the map, in the Settings menu

Don't travel without one; it saved our holiday sanity on numerous occasions.
on 12 March 2017
I bought this because I was renting out a Satnav when hiring a car in the USA, This turned out to be an excellent choice as it has already paid for itself many times over. It also enables you to programme your destinations before you make the trip. The Satnav switches between its installed UK and European Maps to US maps seamlessly. I havn't found any problems with roads or locations as yet but be aware that it has no facility for updates.
on 15 August 2016
Although this product was fantastic when I used it last year, I came around to testing it this year prior to another trip to the states - it didn't work. Contacted the customer service email address, eventually discovered that because I was using a different Garmin device that it had 'locked' and was effectively unusable. As the garmin sat nav I had used last year had died after 6 months of continuous problems at 3 years old, despite having another of the same model to replace it, I could no longer use the chip. After about 10 messages back and forth with some disappointingly useless staff at Garmin customer service centre who kept forgetting information I had already given them and sending non-specific 'copy paste' answers, the best I got was an offer for me to purchase a reload of my card for £30 which I would have to do myself. Somehow, after everything, and with my trip being in three weeks, I don't trust that this method won't fail and honestly can't deal with the terrible customer service at this company again should the £30 download fail. Therefore I have been forced to repurchase a new chip, simply because one of their sat navs died at three years old. I think that's really short sighted to lock cards when a different sat nav is used as it doesn't account for their own products' faults. Suffice to say I shall not be purchasing a Garmin sat nav when my current one fails and will not be purchasing from Garmin again.
on 17 February 2016
Purchased this to add to my Nuvi 54 for a holiday in USA.
Much cheaper than hiring one over there.
Minimal instructions for uploading to unit and even struggled with instructions from youtube but did it eventually. Hence only 4 stars but more probably down to me than the product.
It seemed to take several minutes once we we turned it on over there for it to identify where it was and we had an odd glitch in the next 15 mins but after that it worked brilliantly. Excellent value for money.
Quick delivery, well packaged, nerw item as described..
on 17 August 2011
I'll start by saying I'm a Tom-Tom fan, that said, I did use my wifes Garmin on our last holiday to Hungary because the Tom-Tom makes me download my western europe map and then upload my eastern europe map as it doesn't have a card slot or enought internal memory space for both.
I swapped over sat-navs in Austria and the card fired up straight away. It knew where to go (something I was checking as I know the route well) until we hit Budapest proper. It tried to take me on what I can only presume it thought was the traffic free route. I ignored it and eventually it agreed that the route I was taking would get me to my cousins place.
I had an ex-pat (my father) with me on nearly every journey and he was being navigator so I only looked at the Garmin to confirm his directions.
There has been a lot of recent (well signed) major roads built around Hungary which did throw this out of date version off but I would have been happy to use it for in town as I find motorway signage adequate but central Budapest like central London a bit of a nightmare for a foreign visitor.
on 14 August 2015
Bought this for a trip to the U.S July 2015. It worked fine and provided functional directions. However not the same standards as on my Nuvi 2595 with U.K. maps. Why the difference? In the U.S. the bigger roads have many junctions and lanes. Lane guidance is a great asset.The lane guidance is on this card is nowhere as good as I expected. Basic at best.There are no big junction overviews as per the UK built in maps. If you're driving on back roads then fine, but for anything more complex don't hold your breath.
on 4 April 2013
The data card was purchased as a vacation accessory for my several years old Garmin (255W). As an fairly regular US visitor I was fed up trying to use out of date maps and / or purchasing new/ addtional maps everytime I go there so decided to take the sat nav instead. Easy to use - simply remove my existing European data card - pop in the US card and start up the sat nav. Worked without any problems including coping with re-route in north Miami due to road closure caused by a multi vehicle accident during a sever storm. My only concern is that in the US new roads are being built all the time so it may not remain usefully current for too long.