on 25 April 2008
This review is based on the tartan version of this, which is presumably the same size.

I have 2 disks out in my lower back.

I have never been able to get comfy with a hot water bottle (that hard neck!) and was always afraid of leaning back on the squishy bit (and gettling skalding water over me).

I had tried the wheat bags you get now, but they are awkward to use unless you lie on your face and put it on your back, and too hard to sit back against.

This product contains 'water absorbed on to a medical grade nonwoven pad' and is a lot softer than a wheat bag, and is flat enough to be able to put behind your back when you're sitting.

The only drawback of the product is that it is not designed for fatties like me. The flaps that are supposed to fold around your waist to close at the front are far too short. As a compromise, there is a piece of elastic with a bit of velcro at each end to use as an extender.

Unfortunately, with my disks out so low I wanted to put it around my hips, but no hope!

I've done a rough measure, and the flaps will do if you have 38" (95cm) waist or less, and the elastic will give an extra couple of inches (5 cm) to play with.

So if you're within the waist range this is a superb product. If you're not I would recommend their microwave hot water bottle instead, as I find the heat pad a lot more comfortable than water filled bottles or wheat.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 December 2009
I've suffered with a couple of back problems this year - starting with a partially fused sacro-illiac joint, then seperating the same joint in a motorcycle crash, and just for fun I got whiplash in a minor car crash (fun year, eh?) - and one of the things that my doctors and physios have all said I should do, in addition to keeping the joint moving, is keep it warm and especially before doing my stretches and exercises. I'd been using a hot water bottle but that's not much use when you're out of the house, and they just don't hold the heat for very long.

After doing a little internet searching I found the Hotties microwaveable heat wrap, which seemed a little expensive but looked like a good candidate due to the ability to wear it discretely, and with the claimed 5 hours of effectiveness.

So, I've had mine for about two weeks now and I have to say that I hardly take it off. I give it a two minute blast in the micro then fasten it around my waist and under my trousers and t-shirt. I often forget that it's there.

There are only two things that I would mark it down for: firstly, the velcro fastener can sometimes dig into my tummy, but I'm happy to take the blame for that as I have too much of one, and it does have quite a lot of range fitwise. Secondly, when it's still warm it can get a bit sweaty if you do any sort of exercise.

The claimed 5 hours of effectiveness is a bit optomistic but I reckon it's good for 3 hours before you might notice the reduction in temperature and at that point I just give it another one minute in the micro. I never expected 5 hours of hot use so I haven't marked it down on that, and it is still warm after that time as long as you've had it next to your body all that time.

Overall it has been great for me and definitely made my recovery much easier (in conjunction with my physio's help). Incidentally, I showed it to my physio and he was impressed by how warm and compact it was.

Well worth buying if you suffer with bad lower back pain.
on 29 March 2010
I purchased this product for my wife who has suffered from lower back pains for a couple of years. The heat pad sits inside a body wrap that is adjustable for all sizes. Once the pad is heated it remains warm for a couple of hours and certainly gives relief to the area of pain. I would like to give this product a 5 star rating as it certainly worked, but unfortunately didnt last long. During the heating process in the microwave one of the corners slightly melted allowing the fluid inside to leak rendering the pad useless. Of course, working away i was unable to return the product within the 30 days for a refund.
In short, this is a good product but check the pad after heating.
88 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 June 2009
ORDERED THIS PRODUCT NOT KNOWING HOW GOOD IT ACTUALLY WAS. NOW, AFTER USING IT FOR SEVERAL WEEKS,I CAN'T BE WITHOUT IT.
HAVING SUFFERED FROM SEVERE BACK PAIN AFTER HAVING SURGERY FOR A HERNIATED DISC I FIND THIS WRAP SUPER DOOPER AS IT FITS TIGHTLY AROUND MY BODY AND RELIEVES THE PAIN WITHIN SECONDS.
I EVEN GET UP AT 6 AM AND PUT IT BACK INTO MICROWAVE THEN BACK TO BED AS PAIN IS VERY SEVERE IN THE MORNINGS !
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS PRODUCT TO ANYONE CONTEMPLATING BUYING ONE AS BEST THING I HAVE PURCHASED FROM AMAZON.
Hotties Soothing Backwrap Microwaveable Heat Wrap For The Relief Of Lower Back Pain - Blue
on 27 September 2008
For pain relief this is extremely effective, the pad is large and flat and the wrap goes easily under clothes, so you get the pressure as well as the heat which is what really helps me. It also keeps heat for well up to an hour. The downside is that it is moist heat, and that heat is VERY moist. Don't do what I did and try wearing it to work under clothes as within a minute or two of putting it on, you have a large and very damp patch through everything you're wearing! Gets your car seat nicely soggy too if you wear it while driving.
22 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2009
I suffer with osteo arthritis in my back and neck and this product has been the first one to relieve my pain quickly, without the use of medication. I have only one criticism: anyone who has a larger waist than 36 inches (Iam 38)has to use a crude extension piece. Granted - it works, but I would have willingly paid extra to have had a larger heat-wrap - why not make them in two sizes?
Peter Scott,
United Reformed Church Preacher
Torpoint, Cornwall
on 10 February 2009
I bought this for my other half who suffers from lower back pain. Previously she had to sit with a hot water bottle behind her and then do without it if she had to go and do something elsewhere but with this it went with her wherever she went, giving constant relief. She couldn't do without it now and finds it a godsend.
on 28 November 2015
I was looking for something to help with my husbands severe back pain. He has a herniated disc and also a dehydrated one. He was getting fed up of being prescribed lots of different medications which make him drowsy, which was a problem in his job as a Head Chef. I noticed in the reviews there were people with similar problems who were saying what a difference it had made and how excellent it was. I was sold! I bought one and hoped for similar results.

My husband has been using it for 2 weeks now, and says it's great and the "best thing ever". Thank you to all the previous reviewers who convinced me to buy this, because my husband is finally getting relief while working, without the need to keep taking extra pain relief.
on 21 March 2009
Absolutely brilliant, best thing I have ever bought for my back pain. One word of warning - there is nothig discreet about having a bright blue wrap with a thick heat pad in the back wrapped around you! Great at home though.
on 22 June 2011
Went to use this for the second time and suddenly felt it really hot and then realised that it was the contents of the microwaveable pouch that I could feel soaking through my top and onto my skin. It looked to me as if the plastic seal around the pouch had a small gap in it and this was a manufacturing fault. As I had also bought a different type of backwrap to try I just started using the other one. I couldn't be bothered to return this version, it was too much hassle when I felt lousy with my back anyway.

If you buy it, have a good check of the pouch edges before you use it.
55 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse