on 14 February 2017
I replaced my XP machine over 2 years ago with a W7 64-bit one ,including ordering a Firewire (IEEE 1394) card to be installed so that I could download video from my Canon XM2 camcorder. However, it was not until around the end of last year that I actually came to attempt to do this. I found that the board that had been supplied (the now obsolete StarTech PEX13943 with a PLX PEX8112-AA66BI F chipset) combined with the generic Microsoft driver that was automatically downloaded on first use, was not fully compatible with the camera. For example, Windows Movie Maker and Videopad could get the camera to play, pause or stop but only once per boot of the computer; and nothing was ever downloaded in any case. With the computer being out of warranty the computer manufacturers suggested that I just purchased another card "as they are now relatively cheap" and try that, returning the card if it did not work.
I diligently read the questions/answers and reviews of numerous cards on the Amazon website, and found that compatibility issues are apparently commonplace. One common message that I gleaned was to try a different chip manufacturer. Hence, my choice of this AVI card; also. from one of the review contributors (djnev in 2011) I learnt that this card came with some instructions, however, mine did not though. Nevertheless, I heeded the instructions he had received, specifically connecting the camera and powering it up BEFORE switching on the computer. A bit extreme I felt, but I thought lets be sure.
The so called Driver Disk in the kit seems rather irrelevant. It contains Adobe Reader, DirectX, Indeo, QuickTime. RealPlayer, SonyMPEG, WindowsMediaFormat, the last containing WMEncoder,exe which installed Windows Medai Encoder 9 Series. Note that there was no driver despite the name on the disk, but as stated previously, Windows found the correct VIA one without difficulty.
on 11 March 2016
Help please! I bought this product recently but haven't got around to installing it yet. Unfortunately yesterday some clever clogs in our family managed to unintentionally upgrade our system to Windows 10. This product box says compatible with Windows SE, Me, 2000, XP, VISTA, 7 and 8. Sadly no mention of Windows 10. Am annoyed at Microsoft for making it too easy to accidentally upgrade as the offer kept popping up on my screen, too easy to click it. Question, can a PC savvy person either fix this piece of kit to be compatible with Windows 10 or can I go back to our old OS, I think windows 7 or 8? Already, after 24 hours, I don't like Windows 10. Grrr, I do hate built in obsolescence. Bad Microsoft! I do look forward to being able to use this piece of kit to view and edit our DV tapes. Help and suggestions much appreciated, thank you.
on 13 April 2008
I needed to install a firewire on my computer so that my 11 year old daughter could copy video from her Samsung VP D361 recorder. The recorder only has a DV cable slot so firewire was the only way. looked at a number of products but chose this one because of useful information given and the price. It came quickly and was very easy to install. Basically take the side panel off of the computer tower, remove dummy slot to create a space and plug into mother board. With XP it is plug and play but for 98s there are drivers provided. Having never done anything like this before(and not always having luck with electronics) I switched on with held breath. To my delight all started with no problem. XP recognised the camera when plugged in and a dialogue box came up asking if I wanted to open in movie maker. I did and very soon my daughter's movies,I thought we might only see by transfering to VHS, were downloaded onto the computer ready for editing with windows movie maker. Two minor points to add. 1) When I installed the board I used one of the screws from the tower casing side panel to fix in place which worked fine. 2) The cable is long enough(about 1m) to reach from the back of the tower to the front to attach the camera. If you wanted to plug a device in and stand it on your desk, or away from the tower, you might need a longer cable. All in all very pleased with the result. Thank you Ex-Pro.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2011
After purchasing a cheap mini DV camera I discovered that I needed to fit a firewire adapter to my PC in order to download the video footage to my hard drive. After some research and a little pre installation nerves I finally took the plunge and ordered this PCI card. It arrived quickly and installation turned out to be a snap. just a question of taking the cover off the side of the PC tower and locating the correct PCI socket on the motherboard. Older PC towers like mine may be fitted with blank endplates that you have to very gently bend and break out, after removing a plastic clip. If this is the case with yours then extreme care should be taken when breaking out the endplate as it is easy to buckle the rear of the cabinet. Once this is done the card is held in place by the PCI socket and the replacement of the aforementioned plastic clip. This in no way detracts from the quality of the product itself which when everything was together again worked first time with XP and my Canon mini DV camera. The installation took approx 10 minutes from start to finish. An excellent product at a very good price.
Highly recommended.
on 30 March 2011
Ordered this Firewire kit from express pro. delivered and packaged all well. brilliant as you get the pci card AND the firewire cable. i was using a sony camcorder with mini-dv tapes.

i initially had some problems making windows 7 32 bit pick up the drivers. tried the manufacturers website which is non-existant. you need to follow the instructions step-by-step i.e have the computer off, put card in, plug lead-in, turn camera on THEN turn computer on for windows to pick up the drivers.

once i did this all was fine. i suggest you download windows movie maker(free with windows live) to transfer your tapes to. windows will prompt you when required and you literally play the tape in real time and the software puts it into an avi file which you can store on your hard drive.

I copied a 60 minute tape and it took up about 11 GB of hard drive space! i believe you can compress them into smaller files which i have yet to attempt. However i now have another copy so if the tapes happen to degrade or are damaged i don't lose those precious memories.
on 13 May 2017
When installed, this Firewire card did not recognise the IEEE1394 signal from a Mini-DV camcorder. The supplied Driver CD is labelled USB and has no IEEE1394 driver on it. Item returned to Amazon and refunded.
on 7 January 2015
you may have problems with this if you don't have CD drive, as i have tried 3 different drivers already and it's still not working but it's okay and i know it's working becuase computer recognised it straight away. reason I'm giving it only 3 stars is because the lack of support for a modern user like myself. if anyone can let me know the correct download for the driver I'll boost the review to 4 stars as it's still an inconvenience if you ask me.

On a good note: it seems to be good quality for the price.
on 24 September 2011
I purchased this to enable me to transfer movies from my camcorder to PC and quite honestly didn't really know how to fit it into my computer. I found a very helpful video on you tube which guided me through the installation. Kept my fingers crossed when everything was set up and lo and behold there was my video before my very eyes on my PC.

I would add that I am no technician, merely an elderly housewife, but found this to be a piece of cake. Would highly recommend.
on 20 August 2011
This is incredibly cheap and apparently works well with many camcorders. I just wish it hadn't claimed to work with Sony camcorders. It's not so much the firewire card and cable that's dysfunctional, it's a fault with Sony. I only found this out after the event, after replacing the firewire cable and reinstalling the firewire card. Still no success. Apparently, Sony camcorder ilink connection easily burns out. This is what happened when i tried to connect this equipment to my camcorder. My advice? If you have a Sony, don't bother trying! I read online that this is a common fault, but Sony deny it and take no responsibility for it....thanks Sony!
on 30 November 2010
I received this item very quickly and in no time at all I was able to edit video from my Sony camcorder. My camera is about 10 years old and will only work with a 4 pin to 4 pin connection so if that is the connection you need then this is the ideal card. The card just slotted in and was detected by the computer straight away. I have Windows 7 OS. I emailed Express Pro to download the Free DV Editing Software to see if it was any better than Windows Live Movie Maker, but after I downloaded it Norton detected Spyware and Quarantined it, SO BEWARE IF YOU GO FOR THE FREE SOFTWARE! My advice if you have Windows 7 is use Windows Live Movie Maker if you want free and simple video editing.