on 24 July 2010
I love my CDP-100. I've had it for about 18 months and it's been a great investment. We have a tiny house with lots of nooks and crannies, but nowhere for a proper upright or even a larger sized digital piano. I looked at a Clavinova but even that, with its relatively small profile, would have been a tiny bit too wide for the space we wanted to put it in.

Good things about the CDP-100: It has a good sound, is very similar in response to a normal piano (not exactly the same, but then nothing ever will be), it's a hell of a lot cheaper than other entry models and the set up means that it takes up very little space, given that the depth of the instrument isn't that much more than the length of the keys. It has a solid music holder too. And it should work well with any basic stool or even a normal height dining room chair.

Bad things - the pedal it is supplied with takes a lot of getting used to, it doesn't come with its own stand when bought from most suppliers (although it will sit quite happily on a basic universal type stand, the Casio stand is a lot sturdier so worth the extra investment).

But those are little gripes about what is, after all, an excellent entry level digital instrument. Perfect for the intermediate and beginner alike, and possibly even an advanced player (I have a couple of very good pianist friends who both liked the feel of it). If you don't have much space, this IS the digital piano for you.
22 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2011
We bought this for our son, who had shown an interest in learning the piano. We had a smaller keyboard, but the lessons are all on a full sized electric piano, and all the training exercises are written out for an 88key piano, so anything smaller was awkward at best, unworkable at worst.

When it arrived, I was surprised at the size of it. Not heavy or deep, just that it's... well... as wide as a piano. They are full size keys, so I don't know why I thought it'd be smaller, but it's not going to sit quietly in a little alcove, make sure you have the room first. The other thing is, if you are getting it delivered to work and taking it home with you, you'll have to put the seats down. Might seem obvious, but worth bearing in mind if there's more than two of you in the car.

So, about the piano itself... I'm not a pianist, so these are just my opinions...

It's very smart looking, comes with mains charger and pedal and a holder for your books. You'll probably want to invest in a cover to keep it clean. We use it on the dining room table, but if funds and space allow it is probably better with a stand and stool. You don't necessarily need to buy it all at once.

The keys feel very realistic to me, nicely weighted, the harder you press them the louder the noise and the longer you press them the longer the fade-out. I've seen this variously described as 'weighted hammer action' and 'touch sensitive' or 'touch response'.

There's not a large number of different sounds, but then it's not sold as a synthesiser and all those extra buttons would only serve to distract and confuse for our purposes.

We could have spent a lot more, and I'm sure purists could tell the difference but I couldn't. We could have spent a little less, but buy cheap/ buy twice. Whilst we bought it for our son, I must admit to enjoying having a go myself. In summary, we are very pleased with it.
on 15 October 2009
I bought this model as it was the cheapest, weighted key, electric piano I could find and has the bonus of being portable. It's extremely basic but would perfectly suit a learner. The main problem I have with it is that the keys aren't weighted enough and I find it odd to play a normal piano and miss notes due to not pressing down hard enough. Being brought up playing a Yamaha Clavinova could make me a little more critical than others. I've had my Casio for a year now and it all seems to be working well except for a clicky B (but I think I favour this particular note).
on 4 November 2010
If, like me, you yearn to play the piano and no matter how much you move the furniture around, you can't fit a baby grand in the house - my advice, buy this. This is perfect for entry level students - you have to start somewhere - and in my opinion it's perfect. It is sturdy yet mobile, when it is resting on a stand it feels stable and not at all lightweight yet I can pick it up easily. It has a lovely sound and you can play it in Grand Piano 1, Grand Piano 2, Harpsicord, Electric Piano & Strings OR you can have it in a combination of any of those 5. I am learning piano so only use it in Grand Piano mode and, as it is a full 88 keyboard, it is the nearest thing to having an acoustic piano but without the cost, annual tuning etc.
What is really useful is the headphone jack as it allows you to practice without driving the household or neighbours mad.
Of course if money & space were no object I would always choose the real thing but when you're a novice, how do you know if you are going to like it? An acoustic piano is a big step, that personally, I would rather take when I'm sure I like it, in the meantime I am thrilled with this and am really enjoying practising.

I would advise buying a stand and dustcover and of course a stool but if you have restricted space then this is fine to keep under the bed and drag out on the kitchen table (or even ironing board!) believe me if I can move this around anyone can as I am a 5', 7 1/2 (OK 8) stone wimp.
on 6 November 2010
Having grown up playing a Yamaha I cringed at the thought of buying a Casio. Pianos are one of the few things that, in my opinion, shouldn't be bought just based on the price.
Having moved out of home because of university, I had to leave my Yamaha and couldn't have it transported either because it was too big for my dorm room. I'm not particularly a professional piano player but I was afraid of losing the ability to play because I wasn't practicing enough.
I looked through the different digital pianos, and couldn't exactly just spill my savings on a brand new Yamaha. I found the CDP-100, and from what I saw, it was the cheapest weighted-key with a full 88-note keyboard. At first I was suspicious of its price, but found a music store that sold it and had a little try.
It's certainly basic. There are only 5 different sounds and not a lot of added perks. Without headphones, the left hand sounds louder than the right but that might just be my hands. Other than that, the sound is fine, the keys are a little light but are heavy enough.
It's also very light and quite small; it's just a keyboard and the speakers, not a lot of additions. With an x-frame it fits perfectly in my tiny dorm room.
I wouldn't recommend it for a serious music student or a professional; it would be perfect for beginners or people like me who just play as a hobby. The price is also worth every penny; of course, if you are looking for a lot of extras like different sounds, then you'd have to pay more than this.
on 2 July 2011
Firstly, I ordered this item and a stand and despite specifying standard free delivery both items arrived by courier the following day. Well done, Amazon UK.

Being an aspiring grade 4 piano student, I wanted a full sized piano keyboard which could be taken in the car on long holidays to France and which I could set up in rented houses etc and to use for silent practice when the rest of the household are asleep (I am a very early riser). Visiting music shops, I had tried out some horribly expensive keyboards which had felt a bit like my 'normal' Kawai piano but definitely not the same, so I had concluded that whatever I bought was going to have a different feel to it. That doesn't matter much to me because I can exercise on the normal piano at home to develop my hand and finger muscles and I thought (correctly) that I could quickly adjust between playing each instrument. So having read the reviews on Amazon's website I decided to opt for the cheapest 88 note keyboard with good reviews. I wasn't expecting much...

The piano was very well packed and came with its mains adaptor, sustain pedal and instruction book. It all seems no heavier or bigger than it needs to be and it was very easy to set up. There are 5 sounds: 2 grand pianos, harpsichord, slow strings and electric piano (which sounds a bit strange to me). The grand piano sounds are fine through the built in loudspeakers and excellent through headphones. (I have always thought that the other sounds are a bit of a gimmick and I'm not really in a position to give a serious appraisal of them.) On full volume it doesn't play as loudly as my proper piano so I expect that anyone wanting to gig with it in a public venue or with other instruments would need to take along external speakers (there is no dedicated speaker jack socket but I suppose they could be connected via the headphones jack ot the MIDI out socket (?)- I'm out of my depth here). But the volume is perfectly adequate for playing in the house. The action of the keys is smooth and there is quite good finger resistance, though not as much as on a real grand piano. The touch sensitivity is smoothly graduated and works very well: the harder you press the keys the louder the notes are played.

I've had mine for just under a week and have played it every day without any reliability issue.

For the money, this is a fantastic instrument and I like it very much. How do they do it for the price?
on 24 August 2011
I'm not sure what people are talking about when they say the keys aren't weighted enough, neither do I understand their issues regarding quality of sound from the speakers - so I guess I'm getting old because it feels and sounds good enough to me. Maybe these people complaining are concert pianists!

Anyway, this is a brilliant bit of kit, there ARE only five voices but they're all you need, after all, it's an ELECTRIC PIANO.

It's good for those who have made inroads into learning music, and if you buy the Casio SP20 foot pedal, then it plays like the real thing. Oh, and the MIDI capability is an excellent touch to make it link to software to help you to learn how to play music.

To quote a Dodgy song "If it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me..."
on 27 July 2010
I have wanted a digital piano for a long time. After much on-line research I settled on the Casio CDP-100 as it may be one of the least expensive 88 key digital pianos that are currently (Summer 2010) available. It's critics may compare the authenticity of the feel of the keyboard and the sound it produces - but for somebody who just wants to learn to play the piano simply as a personal pursuit and hopefully encourage their very young children to do the same, I think it is good value for money. Very pleased with my purchase.
on 16 May 2011
Ive had CASIO CDP 100 piano for over 2 years. It is an excellent piano for a beginner like myself, the cheapest model that has hammer keys. I believe they have updated the model in the meantime.

The built-in speakers are okay, but you may want to connect the thing to someting better - when I use it with my 5+1 PC speakers with subwoofer, the sound is AMAZING. Which means that the piano sampling quality is better than meets the ear if you only listen to the built in speakers.

I am very hapy with the manufacturing and overall sturdiness, I have always been berated by my teacher because I hit the keys way too hard, and he predicted that my then new piano won't last longer than 6 months. Two years later still going strong :)
on 23 August 2012
I bought the keyboard because I don't have enough space in my house for a proper piano. And I love it. It feels exactly like a real piano (weighted keys), the sound is good through the speakers and even better through a proper amplifier/speakers.

Yes, it doesn't have a lot of options, the manual is not extensive and the sustain pedal provided is just as a tick in the box, but for £300 you get a good keyboard action, full keyboard (88 keys) and a decent sound.

There are some videos on youtube about "noisy" keyboard etc - well if you ever played a proper (grand) piano - it is not any different than that.

I can't get enough of it - I actually love practising now, buy a decent sustain pedal and a stand for it and enjoy.