Customer reviews

Weber Chimney Starter
Style: Chimney Starter|Change

on 19 July 2017
Ok so I watched all the vids of happy chaps starting up their chimneys with a couple of sheets of news paper and one match...............Well I have used my new chimney on three occasions and it didn't light first time once. No matter I suppose I will get used to it. Once lit, the lump wood charcoal is ready to use in fifteen minutes. I have also used it as a stand alone BBQ to grill some sausages. So yes I like it.It is a very useful aid to gettin the BBQ going quickly.
on 31 August 2017
A great alternative to staying near the BBQ for ages, wafting the flames. This chimney starter can be quickly set up and lit, leaving me free to talk with guests or prepare food for grilling. I can come back 15 minutes later and the coals will be ready to cook on.

Make sure to shake up your bag of charcoal before use, so you get a good mix of different sized lumpwood. Too many big lumps in the chimney won't properly warm up, and lots of small bits will burn up too quickly. I haven't tried using brickettes in the chimney starter, as there is usually a lot of non-charcoal 'filler' in them, which I don't want near my food.
on 7 October 2017
This is a must have. My last one had just fallen apart from rust but I will look after this one more. I could go back to the old way of heapig wood / bricks onto tinder, lighting, praying, adding more tinder and accelerants.......... but no thanks a chimney starter - once you've had one you can't go back and this latest weber edition is so much better than the last
on 1 May 2016
I only just got a chance use this with my smoker last weekend. It was amazing. Did exactly what I hoped (dared not expect).

On the first try I didn't push the paper in properly and it fell out when I lifted to check. Just made sure I screwed the 1 piece of paper just tight enough to make it sit snugly in the cavity, lit it and say it on the bbq grate. When I came back 20 mins later I thought it wasn't burning but then saw the white ash on the coals and a few flames starting to lick out the top. From then, it was a mini inferno in no time. Absolutely does the job.
on 25 July 2017
I've had a reasonably good charcoal BBQ for the last 25 years and rarely used it because it was too much trouble to light - used my gas BBQ instead. My daughter introduced me to the Weber Chimney when we visited her and I was so impressed I bought this - 15 mins and you're ready to go, works every time. For small things - sausages, burgers, chops, steaks etc, our old BBQ is now the preferred item because of the better flavour - gas is reserved for the roasts etc that take longer than a single charge of charcoal. If you have a charcoal BBQ that you want to use more than once a millenium, this is an absolute must for you
on 23 July 2016
Fantastic piece of kit!

Didn't realise these things existed till I saw a neighbour using one at a recent party.
Couldn't decide on which chimney to buy and decided on the Weber for a few reasons.
1. It's larger than pretty much all other chimney starters
2. You get a trusted name
3. In terms of price comparison my purchase was only one or two quid more expensive than some other random brands.

Stop deliberating and get one today. Like other reviews state, it'll pay for itself in no time!
on 9 September 2017
Makes life a little bit easier to light the charcoal but in my experience takes longer than the 20 minutes advertised to get all the coals up to heat. Not essential by any means but useful nonetheless - can light and go and prep without having micromanage the coals.
on 5 August 2014
A bit pricey, but very well constructed and does a good job of shielding your hand from the heat. Don't overfill it with charcoal or paper otherwise there won't be enough oxygen to keep the fire going, despite all the holes.

Tip 1: Don't use so much paper that you block the holes around the bottom.
Tip 2: Leave a gap down the centre of the briquettes.
on 29 August 2017
Had one that came with my BBQ which as not so easy to use, struggling with getting oxygen to it. This Weber one even if they all look the same, just works 10 times better. Regret so much that I did not by this one from the get go.
on 6 June 2012
Bought this on the reviews it had been given. I have alway thought that the only "chore" about the Bar-B-Q was getting the coals started ! Well not any more, This gadget takes all the dificulty out of starting a Bar-b-Q . Just fill it with your Briquetts ,stand it over some paper , light the paper and wait anything from 20-35 mins and your coals will be ready, white and hot .Could not be simpler!
Many a time I would use the gas Bar-B-Q because I couldn't be bothered lighting the coals, will not happen again. It's now been made so simple and quick!!
I HIGHLY recommend everyone getting this gadget!!