on 14 November 2013
Having just purchased my first ukulele. I realised that I needed some means of tuning the Strings without overtightening and possibly breaking them I thought that the Cherub WST-550U electronic tuner would be a good idea....?!Very Big Mistake!? Check out the number of 1 to 4 star reviews!?
I tried positioning the tuner as indicated in the enclosed instructions and it would only detect One ukulele String on both the C and D mode and refused to recognize the remaining Three strings.?
Conclusions: Apparently of variable quality and lacking in tonal range of sensitiviy(!Almost 25% Failure rate according to total of amazon 1 to 4 star reviews !)Am returning mine for refund and purchasingQwik Tune Snark Ukulele Clip On Tunerinstead.
HALL OF FAMETOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 May 2015
I took the plunge and decided at long last to learn to play the Ukulele.

I needed a decent set of tuners to aenable me to keep my Uke in tune.

These work really well.
I was amazed at how cheap they are.

The operation is simple just follow the instructions and set ewhen the bars say so.

Simple.
on 21 November 2011
When it comes to the ukulele, I'm a complete and utter newbie. I tried online tuning sites, none of which I found to be particularly easy to use, and my enthusiasm for my new instrument was dampened by my inability to tune it properly. So, I decided to take the plunge and buy an electronic tuner. Initially, I was skeptical - although other reviews stated the contrary, I was worried that this would be a complex gadget that would take some getting used to.

Nothing could be further from the truth; this tuner has all of the accuracy and sensitivity that one would hope for, and yet it's simply a case of clipping it on to the ukulele and switching it on. You can choose between standard tuning (C) and what I will refer to as the other option, which is a little beyond my ken, so I'm presuming it'd be just as useful for more experienced players.

The relevant strings numbered, the LED display is simple to understand, and within 5 minutes I managed to successfully tune my ukulele for the first time. This is a purchase I am glad to have made.
on 21 February 2016
This is a great tuner, simple to use and you can conveniently attach it to the end of your ukulele. Once you figure out how it works it is really simple. The only reason I have taken one star off is that I had no idea how to use it initially, I never played a string instrument before and am a complete beginner in music...and the tuner came with no instructions whatsoever. I was lucky to find a youtube video with someone explaining how it worked, and I found an online manual for the tuner, but that wasn't very helpful. So one thing that would add to this product would be some clear and simple instructions either online or on paper coming from the manufacturer. Maybe they just forgot to enclose one with my tuner, but highly recommended other than the lack of instuctions 😊
on 27 September 2013
This a great little tuner and does the job perfectly. You simply clip it to the top, turn it on, and pluck each string one by one. It lights up to show whether the note is in tune or not. Very simple and intuitive to use, and is switchable between the two different types of tuning (GCEA or ADFB). It works for Soprano, Concert, or Tenor ukes.

The only drawback is that if you have switched your high G for a low G, you can't use the tuner for that string. What I do is put my finger on the fifth fret, fooling the tuner into thinking it's the C string. But this isn't as accurate so if you intend to use a low G string then I would suggest a general chromatic tuner instead.
on 21 June 2017
No instruction as to how to best use this. Compared to both the piano and other on-line tuners, it isnt pitch perfect. Maybe ok if youve not got a good ear!
on 12 June 2013
tiny little box that clips to the end of the neck of the ukelele, can tune to key of C or D- i guessed and went for C after some reading on the net. Works really well. You have to realise that unlike a guitar the strings on a ukelele do not simply get higher up one at a time- the 4th string is in fact higher than the 3rd and the second and first are higher still. Once I worked that out it was plain sailing.

As you can probably tell I am completely un musical and probably almost tone deaf- a tuning device was therefore mandatory for me to have any chance of replicating some of my favourite tunes. £5-6 is a great price for this device and it came next day as ordered.

Only down side and it is an extremely minor one is that the device does not rotate 360 degrees around the clip, it just means you must be gentle when angling the device so you can read it in case it is the wrong way round, so as not to break the join between the clip and the computer bit.

Recommended
on 28 January 2017
I bought this ukulele tuner last year. I would give this no stars as when it arrived it did not work. I thought at first it was the battery but it wasn't the tuner was defective. I was really disappointed as I wanted a tuner just for the ukulele. It came from China and there was no invoice so I was unable to return it and as I had no printer to print out a return label. I wasted my money and cannot and would not recommend this tuner.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 February 2015
I can see a situation where some people would send this item back as being defective. If you have no experience with these clip-on tuners, don't expect an easy time of it - there are no instructions, and you're very much left on your own to stumble your way through the process.

if it helps others whose A string registers as a C string, you just have to keep tightening and twanging the string until you fear the whole kit and caboodle will explode in your face. Eventually it will get there. Come on, Cherub, what would it cost to write a couple of lines on a piece of paper and enclose it in the box. Oh, and while you're doing that, tell people where you've hidden the C/D key switch, would'ya?
on 17 May 2014
This device enabled me to quickly and easily tune my 9 year old son's ukulele even though I'm not a musician. I read the instructions, switched it on, clipped it on to the ukulele and then tuned the four strings in a 2-3 minutes. I repeated the process a number of times as retuning is required from time to time, but my son is now able to use the device himself. This device has been a total success, so it's highly recommended.