on 21 February 2017
A great tv series but seriously the packaging is like something you'd buy from a bootleg dvd seller.
Double sided discs & in box 1 you get 2 Disc 1 & 2 just to confuse you. Quite why they needed to make double sided discs is beyond me, it's something they did in the very early days of dvds (movies you had to turn over halfway through!) So obviously these must be very old discs with no intent by Warner Bros to update the format.
A total of 10 discs total overall & 3 of these are special features discs.
The presentation is from 1977-1979 so expect tv production values of that era & not violent compared to the 2016 four episode remake.
Note that in order to watch in the correct order the film "The Gift" needs to be watched after episode 2 of series 1. Quite why it was made into a seperate episode given its the same length of each of the original series episodes is beyond me, I think it's an Xmas special perhaps when originally screened.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 November 2015
Ordered this for my husband for Xmas stocking filler. We watched this series when it was first shon on TV back in the 70s and it was one of the most powerful dramas I have ever seen. We were talking about the fact that it had never been re-shown and that gave me the idea to get him it for xmas. From what I remember quite a lot of this is quite challenging - poignant - heart breaking and in places amusing. A well produced and acted portrayal of the slave trade and the human cost within.Im sure we will enjoy wacthing it again.
on 6 September 2015
As described by seller superb collection of the original tv series which was so ground breaking and unforgettable about a young slave called Kunta Kinte who was kidnapped from Africa and made a slave in America, he heroically defied his enslavers to accept his slave name Toby. Its a great tale which has passed down through his generations until it reached the writer of the book 'Roots' Alex Haley. This Dvd is still great entertainment 30 years after it was first shown on tv.
on 8 April 2016
Its a insightful series, makes you feel how lucky we are in todays society compared to what it was like 100 to 200 years or more ago. This series will open your eyes to the slavery world. A great value boxset with both series and a special edition film called the Gift. I paid £11 for this boxset which is brilliant value. And a must see if you have never seen it.
on 1 May 2016
Absolutely terrific box set. This was bought for my mother as a gift so we haven't finished seeing all of it yet. But what we have seen and remember when we watched it on TV years ago, we both love it. Amusing, sad and joyous saga. Lots of big name actors in this series of films. Great stuff. Can't wait to see the rest of the episodes soon.
on 13 November 2016
Just awesome. Too bad that there's no BluRay version. And I wish there was an option to get none of those stupid 'extras' that don't really serve any purpose, if I wanted to watch a 'Making of' documentary, I would order one, I'm ONLY interested in the miniseries/movie.
on 17 January 2016
None of the DVDs are labeled correctly, so Disc 1 is actually disc 3, disc 2 is actually disc 4, disc 3 is actually disc 1 and disc 4 is actually disc 2. This took a bit of time to work out. We haven't opened the second box yet, so as of yet unsure if this is the same. So all in all, a little disappointing!
on 4 August 2016
Revisiting my youth with this series when there were three channels and everyone watched the same thing at the same time. The story, being historical hasn't dated and the only thing I found mildly irritating was the lack of HD quality on a big TV.
on 14 September 2011
I remember watching this when it was first screened. A very powerful drama and masterfully done.First class acting throughout.This format is slightly confusing trying to tell which side you need to play but considering the price scarcely worth mentioning. The story traces the fortune and fate of a man captured and sold into slavery then moves through his progeny down the ages to relatively modern times. The story has been described in far more detail elsewhere in these reviews I won't repeat it here besides what you need to do is watch it.
on 10 March 2014
Once we had sorted out the discs (which are a bit confusing and difficult to read) we put a piece of paper in the box to remind us of the order! We have enjoyed watching all but The Next Generation - we are looking forward to that as soon as we have time! Excellent films!
Chicken George was my favourite 30 years ago and was still brilliant - as were all the actors - really well done!