Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 17 June 2014
I've grown really weary of these things having bought and lost faith in around 5 devices before this. Some were generic rebadged products by (for example) Draper and others were more expensive offerings by Black And Decker. I abandoned all of these quite quickly. I totally get the feeling that you're working with a device that is just random/bonkers/rubbish, I've gone through it with all my previous detectors. However, in my experience this Bosch device is excellent. It found pipes where I was expecting to find pipes, and cables where I expected to find cables. But it also found a few other things - worrying anomalies. I seriously need a device I can trust having probably wasted about £250 on several other devices and as I was working on a wall that needed various things filling anyway I investigated (carefully!) and uncovered the anomalies. A few were plasterboard nails. Another was an old (dead) cable. I went further and asked my kids to hide various small metal objects such as screws and bits of cut off 15mm copper pipe beneath a large sheet of plywood about 3/4 inch thick and it had absolutely no issues finding them. What I can say is that you do need to learn to interpret the readings. The manual states that when you find an object you should move over and around it a few times. Something happens when you do this, the device is likely tweaking the gain setting of the detector to match the object, and as you move toward and away from the object (the signal level is shown in the LCD display) you get a really good impression of exactly where the hotspot is. Pretty quickly you can narrow down if it's a pipe running vertically or horizontally or if it's an object such as a screw or nail.

I bought this device despite the negative reviews because I've not had anything from Bosch that let me down (unlike Black & Decker, that's another story) and I'm really glad I did. I can't comment on other users experience, maybe they did have bad devices and there's a quality control issue. Then again, maybe, like me, they live in an old house and their walls are full of the crap and detritus of every DIY job undertaken since the victorian era. I won't be sending mine back :)
on 20 February 2015
As others observe, this and similar detectors tend to give lots of funny results. I found the key thing with this one is to mainly ignore the flashing red ring, and pay attention when it goes solid (when you are really truly over a live wire). Used this way, it's a useful safeguard.
on 6 December 2015
Its not possible to make one of these things perfectly as we live in a world of walls which are different thicknesses and constructed of God know what. I've tested it where I KNOW there are live wires and it agrees. Better when you switch on lights etc to find them, as in instructions.
on 17 April 2016
Arrived on time and is simple to use and works perfectly. It is a bit expensive to buy but it saved me a lot more than it cost so was well worth the expense. Everybody drilling holes in walls and floors should have this in their tool box
on 7 September 2016
not sure about its accuracy. at times it beeps at a certain spot but not consistent. So I make sure I have total clearance before putting a drill on the wall which makes it a useful product to have.
on 5 April 2016
Needed this to detect where the pipes went in a downstairs wash room and it worked excellently. Always best to make sure you remove any jewellery or adjacent metal items when using to ensure you don't get a false positive.
on 18 October 2014
I was doubtful as to how useful and accurate this would be before buying; this was after reading comments and reviews online.

However after using it to aid putting up shelves or drilling any holes, it has proved to be accurate. My house has wires running everywhere and this allows to be confident when drilling a hole anywhere.
on 25 April 2014
I bought this as a present for my son. He has found it very useful while doing DIY which requires drilling into walls. Strongly recommended for home improvement enthusiast.
on 16 February 2016
Worked very well for me. Tested by putting a screw in various places behind a bit of wood and it worked every time. I drilled 36 holes using this without a problem.

Although the most expensive detector I guessed it was still cheaper than calling a plumber or electrician if I hit a wire or a pipe!
on 13 October 2015
Worked well on all our pipes and electrical wires. Even detected coax and CAT5 and CAT6.