Format: DVD|Change

on 30 April 2014
The Evil of Frankenstein may not be in most Hammer fan's top tens, but it's in mine. It's a low-key film, but melancholic and elegant, all the same. If I tell you that Peter Cushing is wonderful throughout, you will not be very surprised, but his performance is surprising, full of angst and barely contained rage. But Cushing is just one element in a film that is deeper and darker than you expect it to be.
on 24 April 2013
I just cannot understand why some are knocking this movie so much. In my view, it was flawless, and I would even go as far as to say that it was one of the BEST Hammer Frankensteins ever. Peter Cushing, as always, is brilliant as the Baron, and the supporting characters - esp the devious hypnotist and the poor mute girl - enhance the enjoyability of this movie. I have it in DVD collection, along with all my other Hammer films, and watch it regularly, as I never ever grow tired of it, but then again, Hammer films always have that certain kind of durable, compelling magic, don't they?

Horror Stories
on 6 February 2014
I first saw this movie when I was very much younger than I am now. It was great to see this classic Hammer fare again. The film may have its detractors but to me it's a gem of its time. Great print too, a must have for the collector.
on 24 January 2014
I've seen this movie several times (in 1965 for the first time in the cinema) , but never in this high quality blu-ray version ! Some very interesting extra's , but what I miss is an interview with the "monster" , Kiwi Kingston !
on 24 February 2012
the critics have really picked this film to pieces but i love it, of all the frankenstein films this is my favourite.it does not follow on from the first two infact it changes the story so they could make the film they wanted.there are several plus points to this film that the first two did not have first of all a really scary monster on a parallel with the universal monster,secondly it has a not bad looking female that cant talk hooray,thirdly it has an evil hypnotist who you may recognise as reg delboys dad in only fools and horses and fourth you get a proper horror movie ending which comes about by a drunken monster what more could you want.
on 13 January 2012
I really enjoyed The Evil of Frankenstein. I've seen all of the Hammer Frankenstein films and I think this one stands up very well amongst them. I think Peter Cushing did a another fine performance and the Monster looks great. The pace is also quick moving and there's some fun supporting cast, such as the Hypnotist.
The DVD picture and sound is very good although it has beem trimmed into 4:3 ratio. It can't have been a very widescreen film though as it is not that noticeable that the picture has been reduced. Don't let the 4:3 ratio put you off watching this edition as it is very good in every other detail.
on 23 September 2012
This is not one of the better Frankenstein films, but it has some excellent moments. I'm a huge Peter Cushing fan so I'm a little biased, but I really enjoyed this. It's well worth seeing if you enjoyed the earlier Cushing monster movies.
on 29 August 2013
The movie doesn't have subtitles for hearing impaired. It's incredible that in century XXI, using BD the movies still are selling w/o subtitles in english for hearing impaired
on 20 October 2013
I no both FRANKENSTIEN and BRIDES OF DRACULA have had bad reviews from some people but i dont no why.I have bought both and am very pleased with them both with picture and sound the extras are good to.I saw these when they first came out on the big screen years ago and no matter how good blu-ray is they cant better that.I hate to think that today people who are now seeing these hammer movies only see them on a tv and not in the cinema as they were made for oh to go back to the days of the double bills.Anyway if you are a hammer fan and have to watch on a tv you could do a lot worse then these to discs.
on 27 May 2014
I've been keen to get some of my late childhood favourites on bluray, and waited for some time for this one.
It's a good example of improved clarity and sound production, (my argument with my better half - "is it worth it, over the dvd?" , answer - often yes if only for the remastered sound/score. In my humble opinion, this is a worthy addition to my bluray collection,
and is a darned good tale "sixties/seventies style".
The speedy service from "speedyhen" is, as always welcome and appreciated.