on 23 April 2017
My son loves all of these books. I haven't read it but he says I should give it 5 stars!
on 22 August 2017
I love the book and price/postage were both very reasonable. Very happy. Thank you :)
on 12 May 2017
Interesting read and much better than Netflix's remake of it. I love the description and would recommend to get!
on 4 May 2006
I am a fan of the series of unfortunate events and this book is related to the first book. This book is about the Baudelaire orphans who are Sunny, Klaus and Violet. This time they went and stayed with a relative Dr. Montgomery who is a herpetologist who studied snakes. He treated them well and the Baudelaries were happy. But one day, the worst thing in the world happened, Count Olaf, who wanted to get their fortune pretended to be Stephano and he went in and lived with the orphans. He will do any terrible things to get the fortune. Lemony Snicket stays faithful to the first book, the Baudelaries were unhappy, the evil Count Oalf returned and the writing style of the book is unchanged. It is exciting to read this book and I will recommened this book to everyone, but be warned, everything will be unpleasant.
on 3 September 2001
I think this book is a great read, but as it says in the book, it isn't good for those people who like happy endings. It is quite creepy. I would call it a thriller for children. I enjoyed it loads, and I would recomend it to people looking for a new series to read!
"The Reptile Room" is Book the Second in A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snickert. It professes--the word "professes" here means "claims to be"--to be the story of the three unlucky Baudelaire children, but I suspect that, with all due respect, Lemony Snickert is really engaging in vocabulary building skills for his young readers. Now, this has no effect on me because I already know what "ridicule," "preempt," "crude," and "retrieve" mean and do not need to have them defined for me. However, I suspect that for many young readers this book may well be, and I hestiate to use the word, educational.
Unlike the first volume in the series, which began with the Baudelaire children Violet, Klaus, and Sunny being orphaned by the death of their parents and being placed in the clutches of the wicked, bad, mean and nasty Count Olaf, "The Reptile Room" provides a brief window of opportunity for readers to have high hopes for their future. Mr. Poe has entrusted their care to Dr. Montgomery Montgomery, who is not only their late father's cousin's wife's brother but also a herpetologist of some repute (and the discoverer of the impressively misnamed Incredibly Deadly Viper). Dr. Montgomery gives the children the run of his home in general and the Reptile Room in particular, and plans to take them along on his expedition to Peru. The children are happy and gay, but such feelings do not last long in this series and before the end of the tale there is a deadly snake, a murder, a car accident, and the return of the worst of all possible persons.
Fortunately, Violent Baudelaire is especially good at inventing things, her brother Klaus likes to read, and Sunny may be inarticulate but is still a clever little baby. These characteristics go a long way towards explaining why there are additional volumes in A Series of Unfortunate Events instead of it ending in complete disaster earlier along the way. Even if it requires children to learn new words and to think of creative ways of solving problems, I would still maintain reading the works of Lemony Snickert to be a good thing. The story of misery and woe continues in "The Wide Window," which apparently will involve Curdled Cave, a small bag of shattered glass, the menu from the Anxious Clown restaurant, and a test tube containing one (1) Lachrymose Leech. However, younger readers should feel free to read something diverting and possibly even happy before proceeding to the next series of tragic events regarding the Baudelaire children.
on 25 March 2017
Another horribly woeful tale - told with the same fantasic dry wit and random asides from narrator Lemony Snicket.

In this book the children are sent to live with Dr Montgomery Montgomery (aka Uncle Monty), world famous herpetologist, and his reptiles. But of course things don't go smoothly and when Count Olaf arrives, the children's brief happiness turns to terrible misfortune. I think Sunny sums this up well: "Tadu," Sunny murmured solemnly, which probably meant something along the lines of "It's a loathsome situation in which we find ourselves."

I love Mr Poe. When he shows up, he demonstrates the same wonderful ineptitude as he did in #1. I especially enjoyed the heated and prolonged debate between the adults over how best to fit everyone in the cars. ("No, no, no," Mr. Poe was saying..."[X] can't drive. He's dead. There must be a way to do this.")

As with the first book, the whole family loved both book and TV series version. Looking forward to the next in the series.
on 13 July 2012
Lemony Snicket is one of the best authors around these days - well that's what I think. Not only is his writing mesmerising but it contains an element of surprise in every book. They all have something brilliant and different inside them. Much like Anthony Horowitz, there's always some kind of mystery enclosed in his novels that is waiting to be solved.

In this story (The Reptile Room) Klaus, Sunny and Violet all have an adversity to overcome and a crime to solve.

Mr. Poe, their guardian, has dropped them off at Uncle Monty's house and that's when trouble breaks out! Count Olaf arrives and there is a mysterious murder break out. The children know who did it but will they tell............?

I would recommend this brilliant book to anyone! Who would dare miss it?

by Oscar
on 21 June 2013
I found myself reluctant to pick up book two in this series after having mixed feelings about the first, however I thought that the story and style has improved making for a much more enjoyable tale.

Three orphans, fresh from the disasters of the first book, are sent on to be fostered by a distant relation who keeps reptiles, but its all downhill from there. As the cover suggest, nothing really goes right for this family.

Where the first book was depressing, I thought this one was more humorous and entertaining, and although it deals with death and misfortune, it's not in a way that comes across as scary. The humour is certainly the emphasis.
on 1 January 2004
I went to the library in search of a good book that would keep me occupied during the long summer holiday. I picked up a book that intrigued me by reading the back cover. So with no idea what I was in for, I rented it and began to read. This book kept me on the edge of my seat. Before I knew it I had finished the book, but my holiday was not over. I looked at the front cover to find I had read the second book of the series. So I went back to the library to rent the first. As so with the second I enjoyed the first. For christmas I asked for the Series Of Unfortunate Events. I read seven of the books i had had in the series in two months. This was unusual for me, for at my age I didn't like to read. After having these books I passed them down to my younger sister, who was seven years of age, to read. But why should you read it? It's interesting, griping, realistic and is something most people can relate to. Losing parents, having a brother or sister, to fell happy and sad, and sticking together whatever happens. I could tell exactly what happens in this book, but why don't you rent it or buy it and find out for yourself.