Customer reviews

Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Game of the Year Edition|Change
Price:£18.99+ £5.99 shipping

on 29 June 2017
This game is every I remembered from when originally played it. Its story is simple yet still interesting. The guild quests all have a uniqueness to them. The DLC also add content that feels like a DLC not just cut content that was later sold for a price, (The Shivering Isles is the best DLC from a Bethesda game for sure.) Even its Graphics are not that dated, Mods would improve them but the game does a solid job on its own. There a one or two minor problems like your occasional bugs which you should expect from these games (some do make the game pretty funny.) After 65 hours in two weeks, I`ve only had my screen freeze once which set me back a minute and nothing else. Overall this game that is worth it and will keep you coming back to play more. The discs where in perfect condition and it was Xbox one compatible which was not what I was expecting.
on 16 May 2017
Great purchase arrived soon and just as described, no problem
on 1 May 2017
old classic, takes me back.
on 8 October 2007
Ok, first of this is great. Second The extras are all available via xbox live. So how do you justify the purchase? simple, if you do not have xbox live it is simple, if you do but have not already bought the add ons this is the cheaper option. The shivering isles is a great add on for oblivion, the design is genuinely different from the main game giving it a unique feel. New spells and armours etc certainly help too. Knights of the nine while not as strong is still a worthy addition. Trade in oblivion and get the game of the year edition. it is worth it.
Also Oblivion is still the best game on 360 and ps3 hands down.
on 7 August 2008
I bought this game after it was recommended by a colleague. I wasn't too sure if it would be my kind of thing, as I usually play more traditional turn-based RPGs like Final Fantasy, but decided to give it a go. I've now been playing on and off in between other games for a couple of years and have to say that its sheer depth is amazing.

There are so many different ways to play, giving it a huge lifespan and preventing it from ever becoming boring or tedious. Hack and slash your way through the main quest as a Nord, climb the ranks of the mages guild as a High Elf or sneak your way through countless dungeons and make your fortune as a Khajit - it's entirely up to you. The game offers all these possibilities and just about everything in between, allowing you to play over and over again but gain a totally different experience every time.

The combat system is simple to use and offers greater variety and perks as your character grows stronger. I am by no means gamer of the year but managed to pick it up fairly quickly. The game also allows you to adjust the difficulty at any time, saving you from hours of trying to complete frustrating missions on maximum difficulty as with some games and also offering you greater challenge if and when needed. The ability to switch between first and third person view at any time is also particularly useful when confronting enemies.

There are a few minor glitches in the game, such as enemies occasionally becoming stuck behind objects or characters' voices changing (especially in relation to the Knights of the Nine expansion) but as the rest of the game is so perfectly crafted I have come to view these with a sort of affectionate amusement. Definitely nothing serious enough to make me give this fantastic game less than 5 stars. Oblivion has something for everyone and then some and is well worth the money you will spend on it.
on 4 February 2009
Oblivion is simply one of the best games I've played, you will easily get 50-100 hours of gameplay. Visually it is beautiful but has a few flaws, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of NPCs but there weren't too may voice actors hired and you may start to become tired of them. Saying that though, you can talk to every NPC in the game so I suppose its a small price to pay. Also some of the main voice talent in the game include Patrick Stewart, Sean Bean and Terence Stamp.

The Game of the Year Edition comes with the two main expansion packs on a 2nd disc. You will need a HDD to play them, as they are installed to it. After you install them to the HDD you never have to use that disc again. Oblivion does have other DLC but they are not included in this set, they need to be purchased though Xbox Live with microsoft points.

Oblivion has 1250 achievement points and are earned by completing the main quest, the arena, the guilds and the Shivering Isles expansion. They are relatively easy to get but just take a long time. I believe it took me 78 hours to get the full 1250 points, and I'd completed the game on the PC beforehand (I don't skip dialogue though). Loading times may be an issue for some, especially in the outdoor areas but the game world is massive and again its a small price to pay.

There are many different ways to play the game, you can fight with a sword, bow and arrow or with magic. Your character has a vast choice of Armour and weapons available, especially when you level up your character. Overall Oblivion has a few flaws but in such a large game it doesn't ruin the experience.
on 25 February 2008
This is probably the best game on the planet, I may be exagerrating a little here, but I feel strongly towards this game. As Sordel mentioned in his post there is so much that you can do in this game, it is the largest game that I know of and none other can compare.

For such a large game you might think, "Hang on, surely it wont have good graphics?", but your wrong, it has really detailed landscapes and on the different races in-game, Such as Uriel Septim as many of you Oblivion fans may know, has intense detail on his facial features, they may not be perfect, but my god they are good, even the walls and floors have great detail.

Shivering Isles is just simply incredible, I got it...."phew" say 3 - 4 months ago with the Game Of The Year Edition, i wasn't really expecting much more from it, because of the first part (Oblivion), but it opened a new Era of Oblivion, it really gets you into the Characters minds and feel what they feel, The scenery in Shivering Isles is simply spectacular, the way they created a soft gentle mood in such a dark place, I'm trully amazing with this Expansion.

This game is trully what the world of gaming is coming too, and that of an old game [previously had it on PC(2004)], I'm disapointed that it was rated 19, because I think along with Sordel and many others that it should be highly rated and deserves better.

Thank you all for reading my Post, hope it makes you want to buy Oblivion.
on 28 August 2008
When I first saw my boyfriends sister playing this game, wandering around the country side fending off Marauders, Bears, Lions, & Bandits I was amazed by the graphics and the completely free roaming nature of this game. My first mistake was asking her to help me set up a character, my second mistake was setting up my character. :)

I am now three characters in. The first I played for 150 hours, the second for 166 hours (and I'm still popping back to continue with him) and the most recent is only at 20 hours in. It is completely addictive and the best computer game I have ever played.

You can go any where, do anything, you don't even need to complete the main quest line if you don't want to :) The possiblities and combinations of gameplay you can have are seemingly never ending. If you get bored (which will rarely happen before 150 hrs) you can start a new character with different skills that will change the way the games is played entirely.

I would thoroughly recommend this game. (I recommended it to my boss and he is now completely addicted to it as well.) I used to own the original Oblivion release but upgraded it to the GOTY edition so that I could get the Shivering Isles and the Knights of the Nine expansion packs (as I am not on XBOX live). It was well worth it. I loved the KOFN and am really enjoying the Shivering Isles.
on 29 April 2010
Oblivion was released in 2006. We're in 2010 now, with a slew of other great games that have followed suit, and only now have I given this game a real chance, after having bought it back in 2009, already three years late. I was somewhat put off by the game's characteristics at the time, namely the fact that there seemed to be about four voices for NPCs, some of which pretty bad; my refusal to use 1st person perspective made combat seem clunky; the game seemed to have no direction and focus; and after a spectacular failure in my first dungeon foray, I put it in the shelf. One year later, after being duly prodded by people who had enjoyed the game, I decided to give it another chance.

And boy, am I glad I did. Bethesda had crafted a thing of beauty, and I had gone in the wrong way about it. The limited voicesets were quickly offset when I realized that there is no unspoken dialogue line in the game, the 1st person perspective allowed me to really immerse myself in the game, and what I had perceived as a lack of focus was in fact an unprecedented freedom of crafting my own story within a story, which I set out do do with gusto from then on. The lovingly crafted cities, the vast customization options, the lush landscapes that have aged quite well in graphical terms, the fine details that almost make you feel part of that fantasy world, and let you know you've influenced an NPC or a city's life in some way without making you seem like the typical world-saving hero... all of that combines into a sublime RPG experience, which nobody should miss. And this from a guy who'd much rather play a party-based RPG, and who's playing the game four years after its release.

Do yourself a favor: Buy Oblivion, and play it, if you haven't done so. Or give it another chance, if, like me, you gave it a pass at first. You're extremely unlikely to regret it.
on 6 October 2008
Having not played the game for a while I decided to dust it off at the weekend and give it another go. As soon as it loaded up I remembered why I have spent over 100 hours on it to date (and still not even close to completing it!).

For a game which is now over two and a half years old the graphics are still amazing with stunning sunsets, beautiful night skies and colourful free worlds to roam. I have fallen in love with this game all over again.

It is difficult not to be drawn into the world of Oblivion as everything is realised in such great detail and you get immersed in the storyline from the very beginning.

Anyone who does not already have this game should go out and buy it immediately, as there is nothing that comes even close to matching it. I just hope that there are plans for Elder Scrolls V, and if there are I can't wait.