Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 October 2007
In my opinion Depeche Mode have never recovered since the departure of Alan Wilder, he added a musical integrity to Martin Gore's lyrics and Dave's voice that was lacking on subsequent albums. On Paper Monsters, Dave's first solo album he's finding his feet as a solo act and while the results are encouraging, the outcome is pretty average.

The addition of Christian Eigner & Andrew Phillpott (DM's touring band) to the mix has made a huge musical difference to the second album, Hourglass. Dave's fantastic voice is backed up by layer upon layer of sound and melody. The outcome is more electronic than Paper Monsters but it's also more cohesive; this is not only a great album for DM fans, it's a fantastic album for Dave Gahan fans.
on 16 October 2007
The first three songs on the CD are absolutely awesome: Saw something" is a wonderful electronic ballad that starts really slow and ends with a brilliant climax, so that you only want to close your eyes and let yourself fall into the arms of someone else. It is an excellent song and it has been a long time ago, that I have ever heard a song that really captured my heart like this. The second song Kingdom" is a great dancetrack and is going to be one of these classic songs. Deeper and deeper" is a song where people will have different opinions about: Either you'll hate it or you'll love it. I loved this song from the first tunes. It is smashing, fast, aggressive, evil" and great for dancing.

21 Days" sounds dark, slow and Dave has a real penetrating voice that sounds extremely sexy and which really turns me on. It reminds me a bit of DM Ultra" times. The next song is the ballade Miracles" that starts with an electronic sound layer, followed by Dave's striking slow voice and lyrics pointing out what I think and feel too. Use you" sounds a bit like former DM songs. It's a great dance track, falling in the categorie nasty, evil, sexy and dangerous". Insoluble" is a kind of ingenious ballade starting with strong electro sounds that are really exciting, ambitious and diversified.

Endless" is the most wicked song on this album. I have never heard some tunes like this before. It starts with some electrobeats which sound like the volume is consistently openend and closed. Dave's voice appears in an extremely resound and hypnotic way. I love this song and I am addicted to it. It's wicked, lush, sexy and a good song for DM partys. A little lie" is a wonderfull balade with strong drums and great guitar tones that remind me of very old Simple Minds songs. Down" is a condigned last song on this album.

I have never liked Dave's first album Paper Monster" that much. But this album is different. I am really impressed by the mature Dave and his extremely intense voice, of which I have the impression, that I have never heard it in this perfect quality ever before. The way Dave sings and in addition his lyrics really capture my heart and my soul. I Thank Dave, als well as Andrew Philpott and Christian Eigner, for this excellent work and I hope to hear more music like this in the near future.

The idea to show the handwritten lyrics in the booklet, instead of just printing them as everyone does, is absolutely lovely. Thus the album gets a more individual character.
on 28 October 2007
Being an avid Depeche Mode fan I was very exited about the first DG solo effort, unfortunately it was not up to the first class standard. It was good but not great.

I was a bit hesitant about listening to this follow up solo album. But I am happy to say that it is just fantastic..... all the electro and angst that you would want. just brilliant....

Its interesting, it seems that DG brings the mellowness and love to Depeche Mode and not the melodies and lyrics...

But I would recommend this album to all as it is just a great electronic album..... better than the last 3 Depeche Mode albums.
on 4 January 2008
Kingdom did it for me, I was immediatly captured by this song. This album is so much better than Dave's first attempt to make a solo album. Kingdom is most definitely the way forward for Dave and Depeche Mode. I just wished there were a few more songs like this on the album.
The whole album is very pleasant to listen to on a quiet dark evening. In any case it is very well done and I am sure you won't be disappointed.
on 6 February 2009
Several of these tracks are stronger than most of the last DM album. I think the next DM album is going to be amazing if Gahan can keep this up.
on 23 December 2010
Good yes great not quite,
Very moody but not as poweful as his groups offerings yes I am a Depeche mode fan and found Hourglass not as instantly likeable as D.M.albums but after a few plays it gets better and better.
on 11 March 2009
After a solo debut album, Paper Monsters, that set itself apart from Depeche Mode's current output by putting a guitar up front, Mode front man Dave Gahan has, with this follow-up, veered back toward the dark rock grooves and electronic buzzing we've come to expect from this Essex boy.

Hourglass is as tasteful, professional, and as sophisticated as you'd expect, and Gahan's world-weary sonorous tones breathe new life into well-worn Mode themes of religion, addiction and self-doubt. Unfortunately there is no sense of risk here; of pushing the boundaries, and this is an ultimately `safe' release from Gahan.

I don't doubt that those who have followed Gahan and Depeche Mode for years will find things to like in Hourglass and enjoy hearing him continue to struggle with the topics he and his lyrics always do; he's eloquent and interesting, and I have no doubt that he's feeling every word and note here.
on 5 November 2007
I love Dave. If desert islands still existed, I'd take a big box of Dave with me. I quite liked Paper Monsters, and when I saw him live and solo, I thought he'd discovered something that he would appear to have long lost - enthusiasm for something that he feels he owns. It was a small venue gig too, and he really connected. Hourglass seems to be a step back to DM rather than another one away from it - the first solo album was heavy on guitars (the influence of Knox Chandler, I am sure) but this is more electronic. I agree with our friend from Hamburg, it's a great, great start, but the rest is taking a while to grow on me. I love the way that Deeper and Deeper sounds like Primal Scream which sounds like DM - a kind of influence from a band you influenced. Brilliant! All in all I think this will be a masterpiece, another classic from Dave. I wish I was Dave, and so does my wife!
on 11 August 2014
Good, Not as good as Dave Gahan with Soulsavers Have just Bought Paper monsters. Will listen to it on the way home from work.
on 18 June 2014
good cd thank you just what I wanted.................can not think of anything else to say this is crap trying to think