Format: Grocery|Change
Price:£6.50+ Free shipping (Addon item)

I first encountered Illy coffee over 30 years ago in Italy where it was justifiably regarded as one of the best premium coffees you can buy, and as far as i am concerned, it is still up there with the best.

Illy has never been the cheapest way to produce your daily brew, but if you work it out on a cost per cup basis, you are talking pennies.

I tend to fresh grind small batches every few days and keep the beans in the fridge. I have found the Illy beans to be very consistent over the years, and depending on the coarseness of the grind, equally good for both filter and espresso.

5 star all the way.
on 7 February 2012
Illy brand coffee is regarded as some of the best coffee in the world, and not without good reason. Illy, still a family run business near Trieste, have been producing coffee in Italy since 1933. The name has since become synonymous with quality. These medium roast Arabica beans are indeed a little on the pricey side, but in this case I believe that you do get what you pay for and you will struggle to find a better flavoured coffee bean on the market.

The packaging is fancy (Illy have been selling coffee in tins since the 1950s), as you might expect when you purchase an expensive item, but it actually serves a purpose, as the (patented) packaging process allows air in the can to be replaced by inert gases at above atmospheric pressure, thereby keeping your coffee fresh and full of flavour while it is transported throughout the world; information you may wish to bore your guests with, or not. The lid screws down tightly and securely to keep the beans as fresh as possible once opened.

With a good grinder, and either a stove-top espresso maker or espresso machine (which I find produces the best texture and flavour) the espresso this blend produces is an absolute delight; thick, with a light and substantial `crema' and a smooth, slightly nutty/caramel flavour, strong, but not overly bitter. This is the best I can describe it. I have become completely sold on this, and will now only use this or Lavazza Qualita ORO for my morning espresso. It may be a couple of pounds more expensive than the rest, but it tastes more than a couple of pounds better - that's good value in my book. Treat yourself.
on 20 September 2010
I'm a little bemused by the negative comments. (What's wrong with the tin being pretty for example? Why does that mater?)

The bottom line is taste, and these beans make an excellent cup of coffee. They can take being brewed strong without any bitterness, and produce a brew that has a rich, strong, slightly creamy flavour.

Worth the money I'd say -- for an occasional treat at least.

Mark
on 23 April 2012
Iffy Coffee, whether beans or ground, seems to be the only coffee that provides a consistent crema in several Espresso machines i've had over the years.
Yes, it is expensive, but you pay for what you get....and for those of you with man caves, the tins make excellent nut, bolt and screw storage receptacles!
on 10 October 2010
I only buy illy coffee beans and this is the cheapest you can get. I always order a years supply of coffee. This is a very good price for two tins of one of the best coffee beans on the market.
44 comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2012
Illy is the most highly selected of the Italian coffees and it shows. It quality coffee. Typically, it is just 2% caffeine and that is a mark of it's high quality (the lower the natural caffeine the better the quality!). Compare that with other coffees, but that aside, it is smooth, silky, rich but not bitter or burnt. illy is regarded by Italians as being the best coffee in Italy and so if the Italians think so.....!
on 31 October 2013
I got the illy classic roast readily ground can as well as these beans, to help me adjust my grind to my liking. I took to these beands and worked my way from there, to as good and better than the readily ground ones. It depends on how one makes the coffee, is it a french press or drip, but to be honest, when using a Moccamaster to make the coffee, if I went through the can in a few days, I wouldn't bother grounding my own. As I don't though, these beans are a must to keep it fresh. Within the reasonable price range there is nothing that I can find that beats this quality and for my friends who smoke, I recommend sticking with this as the top of the line product as they can't taste the difference past this product anyway.
The can is very nice looking and I'm saving mine to keep bits and bobs in after the coffee has gone. The twist cap is very well suited for this re-using mentality, as if by design.
on 9 November 2012
I tried Illy coffee a few months ago and I now never buy any other beans, I use these in my bean to cup machine and it makes a by far more superior coffee than any of the high street chains. Yes this is expensive but it makes a great espresso.
We own a Delonghi Magnifica bean to cup machine and probably go through about 1.5kg of coffee each month between the two of us.

Our everyday coffee at the moment tends to be Lavazza as it is slightly cheaper than illy, but when illy is on offer I will buy it as it's a nice change and a little bit darker / stronger than the Lavazza I find.

Other than that there's no discernable difference, it makes a very nice espresso.

However it's worth mentioning with illy I do love the canisters they come in and keep these to store other coffees in, so they are very useful for that.

So a great coffee, but only four stars because I think it's a little overpriced when at full price. But a nice change, with nice canisters, every now and again. Would recommend.
on 20 February 2016
Illy coffee is wonderfully smooth - and this was to the expected standard. My own mistake, I didn't realise this was whole beans, but that wasn't too much of a problem, I just got it ground at a friend's house.

The price was a little less than a standard supermarket purchase, but I probably wouldn't bother ordering this online again - I'd just get it when I'm next at my local shop.

Still using the tin even though the coffee is long gone!