Customer reviews

on 5 October 2010
As an endurance cyclist, recovery is essential especially if I am due to ride again shortly after completing an event. Reducing lactic acid within the body is essential to a quick recovery. Traditionally, I would have just undertaken recovery rides (an hour of easy spinning) and eaten appropriately.

Compression clothing is now another armory in the battle for recovery and I am certainly impressed with the success offered by Skins tights. Some sceptics suggest that it is placebo but I lend my support to those who contend that compression wear is an excellent means of improving blood flow to your muscle groups, and less face it, the medical profession have offered such garments for years.

I wear my tights in one of two ways and both work. Firstly during a cycle event, assuming that the weather is not too hot where you could still overheat and not on too greater distance, as you would be liable to saddle soreness whilst wearing tights under a conventional pair of cycling bibshorts. Secondly, immediately after an event and often over-night in bed. By the morning you will feel as quite recovered.

Make sure that you carefully measure your dimensions and body weight before purchase. There would be little point in purchasing such gear if it is too loose.

I have owned a couple of pairs for some time. They have kept their stretch and and essential skin tightnesss. However, I would be happy to try an even tighter compression as achieved by with tights using a higher denier of material. 2XU produce a 70 denier version in their Elite range. I do not know how this compares with Skins' new RY400 tights, the next version up from the pair mentioned in this review.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 14 October 2008
The publicity for compression tights is primarily about quicker recovery from training and, the possibility of producing more muscle fibre recruitment. Compression tights are like the anti-embolism tights that are worn after surgery to improve blood circulation, but they are quite a bit tighter. I bought them to help recovery after an operation on my knee. Your questions are likely to be: do they work, are they too warm to train in, can they be worn outside the gym, and are they value for money?

Do they work? - worn for recovery I have little or no soreness after a hard training session provided that they are worn for 4 to 12 hours. Although they are tight, they are quite comfortable to wear under jeans; initially they will feel slightly restrictive. Skins also produce a pair of recovery tights - Jet Skins - but they don't have the same level of compression, nor do they have a mesh insert in the crotch. I wear either Jet Skins or Sport Skins for recovery.

When worn for training and Pilates it's too subjective to say if they improve performance, but my muscles always feel good and supported.

Too warm for training? - I've twice worn them in Spinning classes peaking at 90 - 95% maximum heart rate, and there was little difference to wearing a pair of shorts. I've have also worn them under Nike Dry Fit gym trousers when training and they still seem to disperse heat.

Value for money? - Sixty pounds is a lot to pay. I haven't tried tights from Linebreak, and I only have cycle shorts from 2XU, so it's difficult to draw a comparison; however, the 2XU stitching on the cycle shorts is denser. The fabic is well made, but I did have a batch problem with two pairs when the stitching failed. As of May 2009, the replacement pair show no signs of failing and are as good as new. I wouldn't be without them whether in the gym or outside.

It's probably best to rinse the tights (and the 2XU cycle shorts) before wearing from new, as tucking in a white tee shirt for a sweaty session can leave marks on the tee shirt.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 December 2009
The publicity for compression tights is primarily about quicker recovery from training and, the possibility of producing more muscle fibre recruitment. Compression tights are like the anti-embolism tights that are worn after surgery to improve blood circulation, but they are quite a bit tighter. I bought them in December 2007 to help recovery after an operation on my knee. Your questions are likely to be: do they work, are they too warm to train in, can they be worn outside the gym, and are they value for money?

Do they work? - worn for recovery I have little or no soreness after a hard training session provided that they are worn for 4 to 12 hours. I always wear them after a Spin class to keep my leg muscles ready for Core or Pilates and hour later. Although they are tight, they are quite comfortable to wear under jeans for recovery after training; initially they will feel slightly restrictive. Skins also produce a pair of recovery tights - Jet Skins - but they don't have the same level of compression, nor do they have a mesh insert in the crotch. I wear either Jet Skins or Sport Skins for recovery.

When worn for cycling, Core and Pilates classes it's too subjective to say if they improve performance, but my muscles always feel at the right temperature and supported.

Too warm for training? - I've twice worn them in Spinning classes peaking at 90 - 95% maximum heart rate, and there was little difference to wearing a pair of shorts. It's probably best to rinse the tights before wearing from new, as tucking in a white tee shirt for a sweaty session can leave marks on the tee shirt.

Can they be worn outside the gym? - I've worn them on easy paced jogs around Bristol Harbourside during the cold winds and rain of February and March, and they have been excellent, not too warm or too cold. On colder mornings I wear them under my shorts for the cycle to work and they regulate temperature just as well.

Value for money? - I haven't tried tights from Linebreak, and I only have cycle shorts from 2XU, so it's difficult to draw a comparison; however, the 2XU stitching on the cycle shorts is denser. The fabic is well made, but I did have a batch problem early on with two pairs when the stitching failed. The replacement pair show no signs of failing and are as good as new after nearly two years. They are expensive but I wouldn't be without them whether it's in the gym or outside.
on 29 September 2011
I have always wanted a pair of Skins, in particular the long tights as I do the vast majority of my training/running early in the morning. Despite what many people think about "sunny" Australia, in winter, the overnight temperature can drop to zero or below.

I ran for the first time wearing my skins earlier this week and was delighted with them, firstly my legs were warm and stayed warm without sweating, great feeling, almost like a second skin (excuse the pun!)

Great product - absolutely delighted.
on 6 April 2010
I bought these on the recommendation of a friend, my recovery after long events could be slow, with sore thigh muscles. First time out I ran a 32 mile trail event, wearing the Skins, very comfortable, no chafing, and kept them on for the next 24 hours will almost miraculous results, negligible muscle stiffness, and could train effectively within 48 hours of finising. Result!! Bought a second pair, to wear immediately after an event. Recommended.
on 29 December 2010
I purchased these compression leggings for my teenage son who plays alot of football and has recently been suffering with hamstring/ligerment problems. They fit well and although they are fairly expensive they have certainly helped him.
on 22 March 2010
I have been running since i was 17 and i am now 56 so any help to my poor body is very welcome. I had my doubts that tights could make a difference but I felt I could give it a go. When I first put these on I immediately felt that they were very tights but after running for 40 minutes I can honestly say I felt really good. I do believe they have made a difference and would recommend them wholeheartedly. They are not too hot and allow my skin to breath. I leave them on for about 40 mins after the run during my stretching and gym work and feel that they help recovery.
on 17 March 2010
Really good product very cheap. All round very good worth buying havent had cramp once playing in them and they keep me warm :)
on 11 March 2010
i bought these tights to aid with my triathlon training, so far so good. they are an excellent fit and i have had no problems, they are a real god send first thing in the morning when my muscles are still warming up. excellent buy
on 28 July 2010
I had never tried Skins or any sort of compression running tights before and now I will never use anything else. They are fantastic and have really made a difference to running and they give legs a great shape too.