Customer reviews

Handel - Messiah
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 May 2014
I give a four star it's a good package. With a DVD and good for the money you pay , if you love Messiah like I do , this is one you should have in your collection . I give it ten out of ten. I would love to have the Full dvd.
on 2 August 2015
Love this
on 24 March 2009
For me, the Messiah never disppoints, neither the Person nor the music but some recordings do and this is one such. It was launched with a great fanfare, mostly about the singing of the Tenebrae Choir, or so it seemed to me, but I find it disappointing in important respects.
Mind you, there are very good things in this purchase. The sound is wonderful. I also very much enjoyed the accompanying DVD. It was great to see the action as well as hear it and the memory lingers of Colin Davis's obvious delight in conducting it. The LSO plays very well and combines with the choir to produce glorious sounds. The choir - small forces as compared with Sargent's day - fulfils all its claims and sings beautifully, bringing out the meaning of the words clearly in word and interpretation. I also found the male soloists very good.
However, the recording was spoiled for me by the female vocalists. Big reputations sometimes are diminished by performance and so it is here. I realise a review is a personal reflection, which makes me careful not to be harshly critical, and some think this recording is wonderful ( see other reviews here) but I think it will not have the staying power of Colin Davis's earlier recording, in spite of all the modern technical advances which produce exceptional sound here. I give it three stars as a good but unexceptional recording. Four would be too high, for it is not an 'almost great' one.
on 4 January 2016
Not as resounding as a full choir. It lacks punch, otherwise quite good.
on 17 April 2011
I first saw this version of the Messiah on TV and just had to have it. This is a real treat. Excellent
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 2 July 2015
I don’t really think that this will be many people’s first choice “Messiah”, but there is nothing here to “scare the horses” and much to enjoy; moreover, this can be picked up at a bargain price and there is the added bonus of a DVD featuring highlights of the performance and an interesting interview with the conductor, Sir Colin Davis.

This is a resolutely traditional performance in Sir Colin’s own edition (which means that the alto gets to sing “But who may abide”, while the bass is allotted the preceding recitative). The choir (the excellent Tenebrae) is, however, on the small side, averaging eight singers per part, and while this is certainly not an “early music” performance, it is somehow true to the spirit of early music making.

The quartet of soloists comprise four of my favourite singers, even if they are not all caught at their very best on this live recording made in 2006.
on 15 December 2011
It's hard to imagine another orchestra and chorus coming as close to perfection as the LSO do on this disc. With even tempo, clear articulation and well-mannered dynamics throughout, I imagine Handel himself would have felt his composition was given as fine a treatment as any. The piece itself needs no introduction. If the climax on this recording of the Hallelujah chorus doesn't send chills down your spine while simultaneously uplifting your soul, well, I don't know what will! Absolutely magnificent.
on 22 October 2012
I like Handel very much indeed. The Messiah is my all time favourite and I am playing it regularly all the year around. Especially this version. It really makes me relax.
I start smiling when I hear Sir Colin humming his way through the beginning. The Tenebrae Choir sings wonderfully. I think it is one of the best choirs that I have ever heard (they are singing "Halleluja" as I am writing this). The soloists are very good. Nothing is too fast or too big. Most of all there are no "period" instruments. LSO is marvellously playing.

LSO Live are making a lot of affordable SACDs,and most of them are well recorded.
on 12 December 2011
I am a huge Handel fan and have a number of these recordings at home. This is by far the most expertly and poignantly played of my collection. Tenebrae are definitely one of the leading choirs in the world today and the LSO never fail to impress. My favourite soloist is definitely Sara Mingardo whose rendition of 'But who may abide the day of his coming?' is quite exquisite. I would recommend this to all and sundry. I need not mention how great Sir Colin Davis is at conducting this, he's truly a legend!

There is also a bonus DVD which is quite lovely. Bravo LSO!
on 26 February 2009
I can not begin to tell you how disappointed I was with this purchase. There are audible grunts I assume from a conductor in rapture the just hack me off. Leave the rapture to Handel and his listeners please. Sir Coin's interpretation is bland and joyless. DO NOT BUY! and on this form skip the LSO and Sir Colin altogether. I think you will see the second hand prices back this up.