Customer reviews

Preparations
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 July 2011
I thought I'd do a quick review of this album given that the one-star review below is undoubtedly putting numerous people off.

This was the first album I heard by Prefuse 73. Although I've heard all of his others since, I find them lacking in any real substance and this is still the record I come back to again and again. It's nice to find here a real mix of track lengths. All too often, Prefuse 73 will present ideas, never developing anything. With longer tracks, he really works with the (extremely cleverly chosen) material. Brief and skittering samples come back again and again, giving you a chance to absorb them and enjoy their sheer madness.

I had never, before this album, heard anything so unabashedly insane. Samples are stitched together in such a surprising and pleasing way that you can't help but be fascinated. Perhaps for more experienced listeners this could sound like a predictable essay in modern glitchy electronic production, but not for me. 'School of Seven Bells' brief appearance is a highlight.

Having now ventured much further into the wealth of intelligent electronic music around, I still very much love this album and thoroughly recommend it. I personally don't understand why this seems to be his least popular album when it seems to me to be the easiest listen (comparatively). I would certainly say this is a good starting point for anyone wanting to discover the joy and abandon of Prefuse 73's music. It's also great to hear some of the raw string arrangements he came up with before cutting them up (on the bonus disc).
on 5 May 2009
This is not very good, especially when compared to earlier releases by the artist. The problem is the production. To be honest, it sounds rushed, creatively there is not much there, the glitches and bleeps sound pointless and pretentious. Overall, it suffers from a lack of ideas and feels like it is going through the motions. I think Prefuse 73 (Scott Herren) as become a biter of himself,there are far better and interesting producers doing 'postmodern' hip hop - ad bourke, flying lotus, lukid, Harmonic 313, edIT and Lone to name a few.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse