Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 23 April 2015
very happy
on 4 August 2015
Good job,reviews were a great help in deciding to purchase.
on 6 January 2016
I have been a sound engineer since 1948.Talkies was born in 1929 some nineteen years later. I have heard the original sound on 78 discs and I was interested on how it would sound on dvd. Lovely without the disc scratch but it lost being an original.AL Jolson was a wonderful singer, I think the clean up took away the edge of his voice. I am more that happy to own the movie with changed the movie business overnight, from Silent to Sound.
on 12 February 2015
Very disapointed.
Jazz?- that music (of film) never even smell jazz.
Film mostly without sound, only some 25% with sound, I would give 2 and a half star, but no posiblities.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2010
I'd love to be able to say how much I enjoyed this - I was certainly looking forward to it, but it arrived with no soundtrack. I sent it back and a replacement arrived - again, with no sound track, despite my stressing what the problem was and asking that the replacement be checked. But Amazon is to big to care about such matters, and its return system doesn't allow for specific complaints to be remedied. So I had to return the second dispatch too, and was told that the whole batch was without a soundtrack. Now I'm just waiting to be told that I can re-order with confidence.... still waiting....still waiting....
1010 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 December 2007
Well, this is a wonderful release. Most importantly, the sound is digitized from the original Vitaphone disc (not from inferior recordings from the 30's). The picture is nicely preserved and it is fun to watch Jolson sing again during the synchronized scenes.

The Vitaphone shorts included in the discset are examples of early sound but are musical performances from mostly nondescript perfomers and are more oddities than entertaining. Two important exceptions: 1.) the short, "Lambchops," with a young George Burns and Gracie Allen in fine form; and 2.) Jolson in "Plantation Act" singing some of his standards.

A truly welcome release. Hopefully other Jolson films, like "Singing Fool," will be released.
on 15 December 2007
I bought this DVD a few weeks ago and I am delighted with my purchase. OK, the main feature is probably not the best film I have ever seen, but it is a milestone in movie history. The "Jazz Singer" is not a full talkie, but the first ever movie to feature some dialogues and songs. - Anyway, this DVD edition is a delight for any serious movie collector or film buff. It contains a carefully restored print of the "Jazz Singer" (including the German-dubbed version)and is crammed with great special features. Those features include a fantastic feature-length documentary about the advent of sound, a 1936 Technicolor cartoon which pokes a fun at the the Jazz Singer, a 1937 Technicolor short with Hollywood stars at the horse races (featuring Al Jolson and Ruby Keeler). Furthermore, there are several vintage shorts about the advent of talkies and trailers of several other Al Jolson movies. - I really wish for more DVD Edition like this one! How about a similar packaged special DVD-Edition about the first colour movie "Becky Sharp" (1935)
on 27 September 2013
Just the songI have to write twenty words of jibberish.. so Amazon get more taxes paid in the Uk. !

Why should the rest of the taxpayers subsidise you?s are sung the rest is a silent movie .. great
on 6 March 2011
This is a superb film for any serious student of cinema to add to their collection. It is proclaimed as the first talking picture, Well, Yes! and No! The film was issued in that preliminary stage of giving the usual silent film treatment with sub titles etc. and also with the added bonus patches giving sound ! If you are not already familar with this film then a warning the sound parts are Jolson delivering his famous routines. I like them. However, it is not everyones cup of tea. Especially the scenes where he 'blacks up'. In todays society this will not go down well.I happen to agree with that. However, we have to view this film as a sign of its time, so therefore, I forgive it. It is a well produced film from the Warner Brother Stable. There are many extras to this edition which have been mentiond by other reviewers that make this edition the one to own for any serious movie buff.
Also, from an historical perspective the scenes involving the cantorial singing are both moving and worth buying the film alone IMHO.
on 16 May 2017