Chase This Light
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 February 2008
I don't know how to explain this particularly well but for a band who are ultimately so massively accessible I can't understand why I don't get it straight away with each new release. Perhaps it's because on first listen, with the exception of a couple of obvious rockers, there seems nothing new and it seems a wash of blandness.

Then two or three listens later I'm thinking...'what was I thinking.'

This, as with all three previous albums, is excellent. Yes the production seems to give it less kick, the guitar seems lower in the mix and on occasion the keyboard more to the fore but the quality of the songs, the melody's and the singing just blow those concerns away. Once immersed in the album you hardly notice the production changes anyway and are just focused on the songs. They all seem to kick enough for me.

There are definite elements of Bleed American creeping back in that were generally missing from Futures ....the beach boy style almost tounge in cheek vocal harmonies and 60's rock and roll feel. Most importantly it's a record reflecting elements of their all the previous 3 albums and just moving on to the next level.

For me there is not a bad song on it. Just give it time. It will never be Clarity, Bleed American or Futures but it will stand up to them in it's own right. At the moment i'm enjoying it as much, if not more, than all three of those and it's is strong from start to finish.
on 31 August 2013
I never really gave this album a full listen before buying it recently, apart from the singles that were released at the time of the album's initial release.
But I've gotta say, this album is chock full of well written and catchy tunes, most of which could quite happily have been singles.

The album was produced by the great Butch Vig (the guy behind Nirvana's 'Nevermind' album), and the production is general is epic; definitely a step up from the sound on 'Bleed American' and 'Futures' (although Futures was pretty damn ballsy too).
Sounds great both through speakers and a decent pair of headphones.

Jimmy Eat World generally just deliver what you'd ask of them; a bunch of catchy tunes with relatable lyrics to form the soundtrack to your youth/early adulthood. Complete with vocal harmonies and massive guitar parts, you definitely get the sense that a lot of hard work went into this album.

It's full of 'moments'; it seems like they really made the effort to get those vocal takes that had the most feeling; the subtle little differences in tone here and there that stick in your mind and generally add to the whole sonic experience of the songs.

My personal favourites are 'Carry You', 'Always Be', 'Let It Happen', and 'Here It Goes'. Oh and there's this great bit in 'Dizzy' ("I told you as I hovered I'd never felt this way...") which I love supremely.

You won't be disappointed that you bought this album.
on 17 January 2017
Great album!
on 9 September 2010
I have always been a fan of Jimmy Eat World. I find their work truthful and some thing every listener can relate to. I purchased this album because like alot of the songs we here we want to here more form them. From this album I knew Always Be: A great song I can relate to and I want to here more from this band.

I would recommend you but this if:

A: You like the bands older work
B: You like bands such as Youmeatsix and 30 Seconds to Mars and
C: You like my review!!
on 4 July 2016
The last of Jimmy's good ones!
on 11 July 2016
great product, little delayed in getting it. but not a problem.
on 4 July 2014
A great album
on 12 April 2016
Nothing beats the sound you get from a vinyl! Arrived well packaged.
on 1 January 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 March 2008
I'd heard of JEW but couldn't say I know any of their songs. Heard them on Radio1 the other day and enjoyed the track played, so I thought I'd give the album a whirl.
To my surprise I've heard some of the tracks before (must of been on the radio or something). Really good album. Very much enjoying it.