on 4 April 2010
'Fit for man nor beast' - a phrase trotted out by my husband when bad weather loomed. Now I know where the line comes from! (The Fatal Glass of Beer)
This selection of classic WC Fields films is second to none; his antics with props is inspirational and the scripts are extremely funny.
The sound quality is poor, but notching up the volume button addresses that issue and the picture quality is astounding on such old films.
A great buy.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 April 2017
One of a kind. W.C.Fields' films are all little gems of the cinema, the later ones in particular, with some impressive stunts bearing in mind when they were made. The Fields character just becomes more lovable with each viewing.
on 11 April 2017
Three short films of a great comedy film star.
on 4 September 2017
Tip top.....
on 28 January 2008
Amazon.co.uk's description of this item includes MRS. WIGGS OF THE CABBAGE PATCH and ALICE IN WONDERLAND as part of this outstanding box set. Alas, neither are present -- and all of the discs here are double features except for two, which would have accomodated the MIA titles handsomely. This is just to warn those prospective buyers who might have sprung for this set to obtain one or the other. That problem aside, the set is beautifully designed and the films themselves look and sound splendid. A wonderful opportunity to discover or rediscover one of the movies' greatest funny men.
55 Comments| 84 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 May 2012
I wouldn't have bought this if I had known it didn't contain the film I wanted. I was unable to find out what exactly was on it as no other information supplied. For your information it has three shorts The Golf Specialist, The Dentist, The fatal glass of beer. It was ok.
on 14 February 2009
I was on You Tube and suddenly remembered a clip I had seen on T.V of The Great W.C.Fields when I was young. I'd never seen any of his work before or since and I didn't know the name of the feature. So I typed W.C.Fields into You Tube and low and behold I found the clip, it was the "Honest John" scene in 'Six of a Kind'. I laughed until I cried at this clip, I immedietly wanted more, I started searching on Amazon and found this collection.

I was not dissapointed, it contains his greatest feature films, all of which are a joy, in particular, 'It's a Gift', 'The Bank Dick' and 'Man On The Flying Trapeze'. This set is beautifully presented, the films are eloquently remasted in picture and sound, and are hilarious from start to finish.

I am a huge fan of the early comedians even though I'm only 22 but among my favourites such as Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers and Buster Keaton, W.C Fields is right up there with them, and so he should be. Fields was a creation unlike any other before and since.
on 16 January 2016
Perfect!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 January 2017
SUPERB ENTERTAINMENT THROUGHOUT, ONE YOU WILL WHATCH AGAIN AND AGAIN. PICTURE QUALITY IS TOPS.
on 1 December 2016