on 17 September 2008
yes, it's really that good. I'm a news shooter and have done quite a few jobs with this camera. It also shoots pretty good video which is more in demand these days. No flip out screen like the old G5's ? but, Ive never had that. Too big to go clubbing with it is my main leisure camera too.
on 27 October 2016
Cannon g9 is a great camera, but is slow to focus
on 17 July 2015
Came quickly as new. Has been brilliant.
on 3 May 2008
A ring around the lens fell off on the first day so I sent the camera back for a replacement. The replacement arrived promptly and even before a courier had collected the faulty one. I had the second G9 for 3 weeks, but then it developed a scraping noise when the lens was moving in and out. On closer examination, a plastic seal or skirt had come loose. I sent the camera back for a refund this time. Will get a well built DSLR instead. Had the first camera been OK - or even the second one - I'd have rated it 4 or 5 stars, but poor quality control on an expensive camera isn't what I was after.
33 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 January 2008
The hisotgram, that some reviewers praise, is utterly useles. It is a histogram of the green channel only, not of the average luminance (or even better Iuv luminance) as you would expect if it were to have any value for exposure. This means that if you take a lot of photos in the flesh-tone range, like nudes or portraits (as I do), the pictures will get overexposed and the highlights blown -if you trust the histogram. It took my a while to figure this out so I hope this review will be of help to others. Apart from that the camera is awesome, so I give it 5 stars.
on 5 May 2015
As new; great bargain
on 7 October 2007
I've encountered a couple of problems with my G9. They are well documented on lots of photo sites but thought I should mention it here as well.
-The LCD screen has a major light leak on the bottom right hand corner.(Take out your memory card and turn the camera on to playback mode to see this clearly). It does not appear to affect photos but it is a lack of build quality that you would not expect from Canon.
-Dead pixels on the LCD
-Hot pixels on the sensor. I have a small cluster of hot pixels on my sensor which cause a white dot to appear on all my photos. Very annoying.

I've emailed Canon about this to find out how big a batch of G9's this has affected because despite this I still want another one, just one that is not faulty.

I'm returning my Amazon G9 purchase and will wait to hear from Canon before purchasing again.
11 Comment| 79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2007
I already have a G7 which I've been happy with, and on the basis of this decided to get the G9 with it's higher resolution, bigger lcd and the time-lapse feature.

Unfortunately ANY picture I tried taking indoors with the G9 had a heavy orange/yellow tinge over it, which I was unable to get rid of using all of the white balance options. I compared the G7 and G9 side by side (literally) and the G7 did not have this problem, even when using auto white balance.

Very disappointing. The G9 went back to it's supplier 24 hours later.
VINE VOICEon 21 May 2008
This is the first Canon camera I have used. I like the retro 1970s design. No stranger to digital I knew what to look for. The G9 has a host of very good features. It's also sturdy with an excellent zoom lens. It does though have a peculiarity acknowledged by Canon. When using the viewfinder the end of the zoom lens is visible when fully extended. That obstructs part of the shooting view. This won't concern anyone who prefers using the LCD screen. It does concern me. I prefer using a viewfinder and don't expect to have that view obstructed. In spite of that the shots I have taken are good. I'm pleased with those.

There is no paper camera manual that's a PDF. This may seem like an unnecessary gripe. It's really not. When using any of my cameras, I keep the manual in the camera bag for reference. Fuji and Nikon have PDFs and they also provide neat manuals of a suitable size. It seems to me Canon have been stingy in this respect.

I don't expect the G9 to perform like my superb Nikon DSLR. However, I can't really recommend the G9 without drawing attention to the drawbacks. I'm giving three stars only based on the lens obstruction problem. To me that's a serious issue which Canon should have prevented. Is the camera good value? In many respects it is.
44 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2014