on 19 May 2009
I bought this for my Canon 10d - Tried it and it doesn't fit. I thought the "for selected digital cameras" meant for Canon cameras. After trawling the internet I found this:

"The EF-S 55-250IS is designed for use only with small (APS-C) sensor Canon cameras introduced after the Digital Rebel. It will not physically mount on cameras with larger sensors (EOS 5D, EOS 1D(s) series) and it will not mount on early APS-C DSLRs such as the EOS D30, D60 and 10D. It cannot be used with any Canon or 3rd party TC, nor can it be used with the original Canon extension tubes"

Be very careful and check you're camera is not in the list mentioned above. My lens will be going back.
2525 Comments| 144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 February 2011
I purchased this item via Amazon as I had seen many available for purchase much cheaper on ebay, but I was advised that the items were actually sourced from a country outside the UK and were not covered by UK guarantee.

As I was purchasing via Amazon, I proceeded without checking with the company first. The order was fulfilled by a company called Swan Dice who have provided me with what I believed would be an excellent lens. The fact is that this is a grey import (subsequently confirmed by them), and has probably originated from a split set e.g. camera with two lens: common place for purchase from ebay and somewhat cheaper than via Amazon. Apart from the white box, the product registration card and documentation is not for the English Marketplace and actually gives the name of a Japanese Camera dealer.

I must admit to being really frustrated to have been duped in this way, plus I myself get annoyed when people don't review the item and complain as I am doing! Ultimately I feel that customers should be warned that some sellers are selling items under the Amazon umbrella which are grey imports: my big mistake was not checking that the order was being fulfilled by Amazon, which with lots of Canon lenses it often does or simply suppies them.

"The Lens you received is a original Canon Lens, we ran out of stock so we had to order from a non UK supplier, however since the guarantee is a non UK one we will of course offer you a full 2 year warranty from our company, so if you will have any problems during the 24 month period you can always return the Lens for a replacement or for a full refund.

Please let us know if this is OK with you. In the same time we would really appreciate if you can please be so kind and remove the negative feedback. The feedback can effect us in many ways and especially in loosing many future sales so removing the feedback for us would be really helpful."

Checking their review page, other people have purchased similar goods from them and made comment regarding imports: sadly they will change their name and keep on trading via the Amazon maarketplace. I am seeking a refund via Amazon, despite the fact that I have been offered a two year warranty that has no value at all as Swan Dice do not broadcast their address, nor do they have a returns policy. Nor will I change my feedback for them.

If you got this far in my review, I am sorry that I have not reviewed the lens, but if you want a grey import with no guarantee, go to ebay. You purchase via Amazon safe in the knowledge that the item will be genuine, in this case it wasn't but at least Amazon are collecting the item and seeking to secure a refund..
66 Comments| 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 June 2011
Given that this is a basic kit lens designed for the Canon EOS camera range with cropped APS-C sensors, I was pretty impressed with its performance when I went on holiday to the Czech Republic. This replaced my previous zoom kit lens the Canon 70-300mm lens. I really wanted a zoom lens that had some form of image stabilization so that if I want to take shots in dark interiors from a distance then I can reduce camera shake as much as possible. For a kit lens the build quality doesn't feel that bad and the image quality and sharpness is quite impressive. The lens is also much cheaper than the next level of zoom lens up from Canon the 70-200mm F4 and although many review sites said the extra price was worth it if you can't afford this lens isn't going to limit you too much.
66 Comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 April 2008
I have spent years suffering with an old Tamron 28-200mm zoom lens and had got used to crappy results.
I was therefore not expecting much from this budget Canon lens.
It therefore came as a very pleasant surprise when I reviewed the first few dozen photographs I took while testing out the lens's capabilities in relatively poor light (right at the end of the day).
The results are truly amazing. The pictures are pin sharp. I managed to capture pictures of birds in flight where the individual hairs on the feathers are clearly distinguishable.
The build quality is leaps ahead of the poor quality 18-55mm lens that came with my 20D.
At this point I can honestly say I'm a very happy bunny indeed....
1010 Comments| 363 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 December 2010
This is my third lens for my 550D. The 18-55mm kit lens has done some stellar work and the 50mm 1.4 has been brilliant so why do I need another one?! Well, it's the question of zoom. It's not always practical to get closer to your subject - for instance, you wouldn't want to join a lion in its enclosure would you? Sometimes you want to be discreet and just leave people to their own business. I know how hard it can be trying to photograph my niece and nephew as they have a tendency to hide when the camera is out!

Build quality wise, this lens is along the lines of the 18-55mm kit lens. It is plasticky but quite heavy. The zoom ring is surprisingly very smooth and there's hardly any lens creep.

Now, there's one thing that no one has mentioned in their review - this lens uses a fair bit of power from the camera battery. You can hear it humming virtually all of the time. Of course, considering the number of bits of glass inside the barrel, it does need power to align and focus. Just be prepared to carry a spare battery with you or use the lens sparingly.

In operation, the lens is noisy when focusing but after all, this is a cheap lens but don't let that put you off. The picture quality compensates for the build quality of the lens and the output is very good - in fact, I would hasten to say it is better than the 18-55mm kit lens. Pictures taken in well lit areas will demonstrate how sharp this lens is at 250mm. I was taken back by the results of being able to ascertain the title on a book. The built-in image stabiliser is definitely worth having if you're taking photos at maximum zoom. However, this lens doesn't excel in low light conditions but after all, it isn't really designed to perform in low light unless you use a flashgun.

This is an excellent lens for someone beginning in DSLR territory. You get a lot of lens for not much money but be aware that it is noisy and drains the battery.
55 Comments| 184 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 February 2018
One of the best kit lenses. It's sharp and reasonably compact for the reach. Great for portraits and wildlife photography. It's capable enough that I've waited before upgrading to L lenses.
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 10 REVIEWERon 30 May 2014
I've tried a few copies of this lens and the previous version of it too (this is mostly a cosmetic re-badge of that lens)
For the outlay which is really not very much, it's surprisingly decent overall in performance. My quick fire pro/con list follows

+ It's pretty sharp, better than you would think at this price point. But again I feel the older version is a tad sharper at the tele end (they are both quite good though)
+ Nice price, it's a very affordable tele zoom option for most people. Even more so in a bundle kit price
+ The IS works well with this lens and it's important to have this for the target price/market. Canon say 4 stops I won't argue here but it varies depending on the user!
+ Plastics used are not bad at all really I've seen worse, but I can't help feel the older model was a little better here. Focus ring is a bit tighter on this one v the older one, but could be sample variation
+ Light..as are most zooms of this type.
+ Covers a very useful range of around 88-400mm
+ Out of focus rendering pretty good, taste driven but I think satisfactory for most users.

- Plastic lens mount. Predictable for this type of lens, but I wonder if folks were asked to pay another £25 odd if they would do that for a metal mount? I would myself.
- AF noise, whilst not overly noisy this clearly is not a USM lens and it shows. Standard micro motor here AF speeds are nothing special but par for the course with a lens in this price point.
- Some optical weak points, sharp yes but vignetting is notable, and there are some CA issues to deal with too. Distortion is not too bad
- Front element rotates, could annoy if you use CPL filters.
- No hood. Canon have a thing about lens hoods or lack of, whilst this is pretty cheap a bit of moulded plastic isn't expensive to make.

Overall a fairly solid lens and quite easy to suggest to someone who wants to get started with an affordable don't break the bank tele zoom. I'd love to see a few improvements in here such as a metal mount (even if it means a price increase). My first enounter with this lens it was easy to dismiss it as a cheap consumer zoom and I had pretty low expectations from it on an optical level. It can surprise you with it's sharpness which is really quite good across the range. Granted it's not razor sharp at the tele end, but still it performed above my expectations. Well worth checking out if you are on a budget and just want to start shooting more at longer focal lengths. You could do a lot worse than add this to your 18-55mm IS kit lens. And even if you have another tele zoom this could find a place for a light carry around small kit.

Overall 4/5 for me
on 2 December 2017
Great price - genuine Canon - takes high quality pictures as you would expect - useful zoom lens for travel etc
on 10 November 2017
Mine came with a problem with the image stabilisation, but I can work around it... otherwise it's a perfect lens
on 30 March 2017
Not the sharpest lens at the full zoom. But honestly it's what you expect at this price range (its not a L sieries) No pun intended.