on 24 January 2008
I have used my Canon 20D for the last 2 years, and have found the battery grip to give essential balance when using my regular 24-70mm L series lens, and so many times when on location, the extra power provided by the 2nd battery has saved my shoot. I do carry 2 spare battery with me as well!
The extra focusing controls are a real benefit, when shooting with the camera "on its side", there are duplicated on top of the camera body, but having them just under your fingers is a great feature of the design.
Clearly it does add some extra bulk and weight, but I cannot live without mine!
VINE VOICEon 27 August 2009
the redesigned high-capacity Battery Grip offers high-volume shooting and easier vertical shooting. Compatible with up to two BP-511A battery packs or a set of six AA-size batteries, it doubles the number of shots that can be taken, compared with the battery power of the Canon EOS 40D .

The Canon BG-E2N grip has new sealing material around the battery compartment to better resist water and dust. The new model replaces the original BG-E2 grip and is compatible with the EOS 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D models.

It feels a little heavy after a while but it gives you a good grip in the camera.

Is a bit expensive compared to its predecesor
VINE VOICEon 2 May 2009
The XOD series of Canon Digital SLRs have long been the perfect camera for the serious amateur who wants professional quality at a reasonable price, in a compact body.

However, when long lenses are used or the camera is used in Portrait mode, the battery grip is ideal. There are alternatives but only the Canon has the wheel next to the shutter button, allowing rapid changes of aperture or shutter speed (depending on the mode). It has transformed my football photography, making portrait shots a pleasure rather than a pain. The battery grip also includes a camera strap lug, which stops the strap getting in the way of the viewfinder.

Live View is extremely useful when composing shots on a tripod but is extremely battery hungry, reducing the number of shots per charge from 700 down to 170. A second battery is essential if this mode is used on a photoshoot and where better place to put it than in the battery grip.

I can use it on my 20D and 50D - hopefully I will still be able to use it when I buy an 80D in 2011!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2011
This is a well-made, robust piece of kit which, when added to the camera, gives it great feel, balance and comfort; there is plenty to grip on to and the overall shape is pleasing. With two long-lasting batteries, it provides hours of uninterrupted shooting and having an additional shutter release for portrait work is a very thoughtful addition. (Having such long-lasting batteries, one "drawback" it is easy to forget the batteries need charging! Well worth checking when not using it. A victim of its own success.)
Obviously it does make the camera much heavier but it is worth it. For tripod work, there is no need to remove it as it has a screw-fitting.
A little expensive and, be careful, there are many copies in the market-place, but it is worth the investment to buy Canon's own grip.
on 14 January 2008
I have a EOS 40D which, when combined with my day to day L series 24-70 lens, is very heavy and completely out of balance.
This base helps get the camera back in balance.

The grip has a shutter button and a 'dial wheel' for use in portrait mode however I tend to never use them (The grip has a safety switch to disable these buttons which is handy).

It also holds a second battery which in my experience is only worthwhile when using the pop up flash or reviewing pictures on the LCD a lot.

My only complaint is that you have to remove the battery door off the camera body. This means if you want the flexibility of taking the camera without the grip, you'll need to take this small (easy to lose) cover with you separately - it would have been nice if they could have worked the grip to have space built in for the cover.

EDIT: As it happens, the mechanism to secure the grip to the camera uses plastic gears. If you over tighten this (very easy) you'll be paying £50 to canon to have it removed, and the broken one is not covered under warranty.

I'm not buying another, this has happened to me twice now... I'll keep a look out for a clone with metal gears
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 September 2008
I got this grip to fit onto my 40D purchased at the same time. Previously I had a 20D with the earlier BG-E2 grip and had nothing but problems with that grip on that body. Power would suddenly fail without warning often in the middle of a burst and meant I lost shots. It would do this seemingly at random so could never predict it happening. The only way to clear the fault was to remove the batteries and grip from the body, leave for a few miniutes then replace it. Some days it would behave, on others it happened up to half a dozen times. Because of the fault it meant I had to constantly keep removing and reattaching it and this eventualy led to it getting stuck half removed from the camera due to the gears inside seizing up. It cost me £80 to have it repaired. This was bad enogh but the replacement started to show signs of the same fault and that started to seize up too. A freind who has this grip on a 30D has had no issues on either count so I can only think this is only a problem when used with a 20D.

Hopefully the new design as well as extra weather proofing has taken these faults into account and rectified them. So far it works perfectly on my 40D and the extra buttons are a godsend for shooting in portrait format. Just wish they had added the 40D's AF on button as well, strange it wasn't included given the new grip was released about the same time as the camera?
on 17 September 2009
The key advantages that this offers are...

Double the battery capacity of the standard 40D
Additional shutter and selection wheel controls for shots taken in portrait rather than ladscape orientation.

The key disadvantages are...

Additional weight
Additional bulk - makes the camera a little unwieldy (particularly for those with small hands)

The battery grip is a very useful addition to the 40D *IF* you regularly undertake long shoots where stopping to swap batteries would be either inconvenient or would mean that you miss shots, or if you regularly use the camera in portrait orientation. I find that using the camera with a battery grip, I can shoot an entire wedding without needing to swap batteries.

Personally, I have a battery grip on all of my cameras and find the benefits outweigh the negative aspects (this is also helped by the fact that I have big hands and the additional bulk & weight makes the camera feel more comfortable in my hands). As suggested by one of the other reviewers, it may well be worthwhile finding somewhere that you can have a play with this prior to purchase.
on 24 March 2009
First I want to address the various snipes about being a poser if you use this battery grip - I've never heard so much nonsense in all my life and you shouldn't let silly comments put you off.

The primary reason I bought one from Amazon is because I wanted the maximum amount of battery life for long photographic trips and it certainly delivers that. The kit comes complete with a battery cradle that allows you to use AA batteries instead of the Canon battery OR you can purchase an additional Canon battery and use 2 in the battery grip. That's the option I went for and even managed to pick up a generic Canon battery for a great price.

The second and often overlooked reason is that with the battery grip attached you get a much more stable camera platform and I realized that when I purchased a Sigma 50-500 lens; it tips the balance back to the camera. I also purchased the Canon hand grip strap that will only fit when the battery is attached instead of the usual neck strap.
on 25 May 2009
Did try the cheaper far eastern varieties but none fitted as well as the canon. Excellent balance to the camera, and with two batteries fitted (1 is a cheaper, £6, alternative) the number of shots I can take is amazing. Thoroughly recommended purchase.
on 7 January 2009
For me, the 30D/40D is just too small, so I have one of these for both my 30D and 40D. The Canon build is great and I decided to pay more and avoid the risk of a dodgy third party grip from eBay, having heard several bad reports of quality issues.

However I have since encountered more praise for third party grips and considering both their price advantage and the fact you can usualy pick up a couple of third party batteries too I think maybe I could have risked it.

Canon can continue to trade on its brand to give them such a significant mark up over their competiton, but I wonder for how much longer.