Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Exclusive playlist - Elton John Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

1,827
Colour: Black Steel Feeders|Size: Black Steel Seed Feeder|Change

on 10 April 2014
Firstly, I'm only giving it 4 stars because it's only been 1 day and I've been disappointed before:
That said, my 2 local nemeses, namely the South London Parakeet Posse and the Sydenham Squirrel Massive, have both had a serious go today and have thus far failed to get their usual free (all you can eat) lunch, breakfast and dinner chez moi.
I'm not doing laps of the garden yet but hopefully this purchase has put an end to:
a) refilling my feeders every day.
b) me running into the garden, shouting and waving my arms about like a demented tic-tac man.
c) the neighbours thinking they live next door to Broadmoor
d) the wife telling me to get a life (debateable).

It's a good, well made and sturdy piece of kit, easy to use/fill/clean etc.
Smaller birds (various tits, robins) are already using it without any problems, although our resident woodpecker seems a bit flummoxed but may well be slightly too large to gain access.

Bottom line: I'd recommend this product and the supplier - Garden Selections Ltd.

I will update in a little while where I'll either continue as above (and add a star) or tell you which calibre rifle I will be ordering...

As promised here's an update:

So it's been approx 5 weeks and after the initial euphoria, it's a little different now.
Whilst the Parakeets have been kept at arms or should I say wings-length and have all but given up trying now, the Squirrel situation is not so good.
Several times the little blighters have managed to launch themselves onto the feeder and rattle / scratch at it hard enough to lever the lid upwards and eventually flip it off completely. This is quite a considerable achievement given the solid construction but the bottom line is it's not Squirrel-proof if it's anywhere near a launch-site.

I'll leave the 4 star rating as it is a good product but just beware it's definitely not foolproof - and these little blighters are no fools!
I'm off to buy a crossbow...
88 Comments| 216 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2014
Much larger than expected, no measurements on the listing I did tell the seller
INCHES: DIAMETER 16 INCHES DEPTH 10 INCHES APPROX
CENTEMETRES: DIAMETER 41 CMS DEPTH 26 CMS APPROX
It felt lighter than I expected though so I'll be battoning it down with tent pegs stop animals from tossing it over & wrecking the feeder not to mention keeping the birds safe.
Coating is antibacterial made to work 10 years minimum even if washed in detergent
Refills via top one turn & feeder can be filled easily
A few holes for feed to drop into a moat style dish surround so many birds can feed from all the way around at the same time.
Don't forget to remove the 8 small black ties which hold the labels in place as small legs will get caught in the loops.
Postage is a bit more but it's a large item & I only waited one full day
Cheaper than on ebay
I have written a much more humurous account of this device, which was not published.
In essence, this device whilsat clever was worked out by my squirrels within three days. The bottom has been removed, the mesh is broken and it is held together with wire.
Squirrels are not easily put off by clever ideas and this one, whilst sound in principal has proven easy to defeat. Avoid.
33 Comments| 158 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2008
If I could give this 10 stars I would! You hang this feeder from a tree branch or bird table: it needs to be a certain distance from the ground and from other surfaces (to prevent the squirrel from jumping up or across to it). The metal sleeve slides down over the feeder when the squirrel tries to come down from above it to feed (which is why the feeder has to be positioned right). Hard to describe on paper, but it works superbly in practice. Follow the instructions that come with this and you will never be bothered by squirrels again - guaranteed. The best squirrel proof feeder I've ever tried, and I've had it for many months now. No squirrel has managed to defeat it and the birds love it. The peanut version is just as good as well.

LATER ADDITION TO REVIEW: It is now February 2010 and STILL no squirrel has managed to break into these feeders! I have 6 of them (feeders, not squirrels...Squirrels don't bother coming into the garden much anymore because there's no FOOD for them). But you do have to make sure the feeders are positioned properly and I have noticed that in wet and stormy weather they can get wet inside. But I wouldn't use any other feeder now :-)
55 Comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 January 2007
I was given one of these and soon found that it needs to be hung well clear of any place from which a squirrel can jump onto it. Once a squirrel has got onto the nut cage, it will make mincemeat of the wire mesh cage. Dont underestimate the ability of a squirrel to jump amazing distances, and even to rearrance things. I got up one morning to find that they had had managed to free the supporting cable and the feeder was lying on the ground, completely chewed out of shape (and empty). I only got it to work when I carefully hung it by a wire from a tree in such a way that there was no way a squirrel could jump from the side or from below. Since finding this ideal location not one squirrel has defeated it. My dear woodpeckers now visit it every day, despite it's battered appearance from it's previous unsuccessful use. The bad news is that the nearest suitable tree is almost out of sight of my house! Buy it if you can find a location with at least a metre of clearance all around it. Otherwise learn to love squirrels! Grrrr
on 6 December 2009
Have only ever once (in 5 years) seen a squirrel trying to get into this - hanging down by his back legs to reach past the sliding cover and get to the feed hole - he left with a tap on the window (we are out in the country so have other ways of staving off squirrel attacks, but not suited to built up areas). To avoid water running down the wire through the cover to wet the seed, slide a piece of kitchen foil through the loop just above where the central column joins the suspension wire and shape it to the top of the sliding cover - 100% fix. There are web sites explaining how to make home-made versions of this with plastic bottles (good instructive occupation for children with parent), but squirrels will gnaw at plastic, so this metal-sleeved product is pretty good and has served very well for 5 years now. Must be suspended well away from any adjacent perch points for a squirel to reach across to the feed hole and the bird perches must be at least 1.2 or even 1.5 metres above ground to avoid squirrels jumping up. Not 5 star as (a) needs self-mod for keeping dry, (b) positioning limitations and (c) risk that it could succumb to really persistent and constant squirrel attack hanging from above by back legs.
33 Comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 May 2014
After spending months filling up feeders that would get demolished within a day I decided to take to the internet to see if this was a common problem.

After a little research I saw that Starlings were the main culprit and so set to find a product to stop them. This being the second product after the first product allowed the birds in.

The feeder has been up 3 days and so far I have seen the starlings attempt to get in without success and also are unable to reach the tasty meal worms I have inside it. It allows the smaller birds in to get a look in which is good and I can then have other food for the larger birds.

This is a very well built and sturdy product and would highly recommend to anyone mortgaging their house to keep the local bird population fed.
on 2 November 2006
I not only have a very obese squirrel, but one whch is also super clever. It worked out how to dismantle the feeder in just 6 hours and carted off the wire cage to goodness know where.
on 8 December 2012
Whilst this feeder is effective at deterring squirrels, Its completely useless as a bird feeder for the simple reason that it doesn't keep rain out of the feeder tube. This results in a claggy mess that the birds cant eat and is very unpleasant to clean out.

By trial & error, I have found the most effective way of stopping squirrels is by having a post feeder with the Gardman Universal Squirrel Baffle fitted. As long as the post is far enough away from something they can launch from, it is impossible for the little b*ggers to get onto the feeder itself.
on 20 April 2016
When I first got the 2 perch version, I thought I bought a dud as not a goldfinch showed up in the last three months of 2015 I had it outside. Surprisingly, despite all the storms we got over the winter, it kept the Nyger seed dry, never feel apart and kept the majority of the seed intact despite the additional drainage holes in the base of the feeder.

Then in January I got an unexpected surprise - two goldfinches perched on it pecking away. They kept coming back and had the food cleared out in a week. Over the following few weeks, additional gold finches started showing up. By March, siskins started showing up and using it also. Unsurprisingly, they started fighting over it as there were 6 to 8 of them bickering and battering trying to get at the two perches despite the feeding station also have having two full peanut feeders and a mixed seed food tray. At this stage, they were emptying the Nyger feeder every second day, so I knew it was time for another and bought the 4 perch version.

Despite the tiny holes, the siskins and goldfinches seem to have no problem getting at the Nyger seed inside. It's worth noting that the 4 perch feeder is considerably larger than the 2 perch model and seems to hold about 3 times the seed capacity, which also means that it only needs to be filled about every week, compared to every second day for the small feeder.

Generally only two birds use the 4 perch feeder at a time as any extra birds generally result in one chasing off another. Just to give an idea how aggressive these birds are here, the peanut feeder hanging on this feeding station takes at least twice as long to empty as another peanut feeder placed further away as the goldfinches and siskins often chase away the tits and chaffinches on the peanut feeder, only to then return to the Nyger feeder.

So would I recommend it? Sure, if you have at least the odd goldfinch or siskin in the garden, I'm sure this will keep them coming back for more as well as attract more of them. However, if you don't have any goldfinches at all visiting any of your other bird feeders, it could take a while for the first goldfinches to discover it, considering I thought it was a waste of money the first three months I had the first feeder where not a single goldfinch showed up.
review image

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling