Format: Audio CD|Change

on 17 November 2007
For this really to be COMPLETE, it would have to be everything that Eric Clapton has ever recorded, something it obviously isn't. Perhaps the title is wrong, but 'Greatest Hits' is rather hackneyed.

Most of those posting unfavourable reviews are complaining either that it's not complete or that one or two of their favourite tracks are not on it. Dear oh dear. How spoon-fed we seem to have become.

So what IS on it? Precisely what a half-sensible person might expect: many of his best-known tracks, spanning his entire career, including Layla, Wonderful Tonight, Tears in Heaven, Cocaine, Lay Down Sally...I mean, come on! What's the problem? I could get all grouchy that one of my favourites, Hoochie Coochie Man, isn't on it - but it's on other Clapton CDs. I think I can live with that.

This is an excellent introduction for the novice and a great collection for the fan.
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 February 2012
Eric Clapton's career really covers so many periods that it's not suprising that it all could not be contained on 2 CDs.
The openers from Cream are unstopable, I Feel Free, Sunshine Of Your Love, White Room, Crossroads (live) and Badge.
Presence Of The Lord with Blind Faith is an unexpected plus, I also recommend a version by Texas Band, Liberation Suite, from their 1975 self titled album.
Lots of solo tracks surround Bell Bottom Blues and the show stopping Layla from Derek And The Dominos, if you think the single version is good, well don't settle for that, the album version is here in all it's majesty!
Dylan's Knocking On Heaven's Door is taken in reggae style as is Bob Marley's I Shot The Sheriff, OK stuff, but Cocaine was never going to be my favourite track.
Wonderful Tonight really is another excellent song on CD 1.
On CD 2 look out for Bad Love and from Unplugged, Layla and Running On Faith.
However it's Tears In Heaven which is the totally unmissable gem when Eric really bares his soul.
With 36 tracks in total, all with good production standards, no casual fan need look elsewhere.
on 28 November 2007
My son knowing I am and always will be a huge Clapton fan, bought this for my last birthday (I don't mean my LAST bithday, I am hoping to have many more!) I would not have gone and purchased this myself, as within my CD collection I have all of these tracks and could have made up this compilation myself. Having said that it is a good collection (how many Clapton collections have there been over the years?). The two discs represent a reasonable selection of the mans work, although I would have liked some of his early stuff with John Mayall and even The Yardbirds, perhaps Blind Faith, just to round the collection out. I played it in the car and it is a great driving companion, even though I know all the tracks well, thay are great songs and just remind you once again what a tremendous guitarist and vocalist Eric was and is. "Clapton is God" well in rock music yes he is one of them!
on 18 October 2007
I have to start my review by agreeing with those writers who've stated that this is primarily a greatest hits album, but then find myself asking how exactly do you fit 40 years output onto two compact discs??

The majority of people reading these reviews will ask 'John who?' when asked about John Mayall, and I don't say that to slight my readers in any way at all, honestly!

If you are thinking of getting into Mr. Clapton there is no better way to start than with this double album. The majority of his hits are included here, and if it gives you a taste to search out what is now a huge back catalogue then I would imagine that Eric, his recording company, and those who quite correctly describe this collection as incomplete will all benefit.

Buy it, enjoy it, then buy some of his older stuff - you'll find something to love on every solo and collaborative album. Who knows, maybe some people will become more aware of John Mayall, Bluesbreakers, Cream....
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2007
A great EC sampler but I have to be honest I never got Clapton, I always thought (sometime sidekick) Albert Lee, Beck,Page and especially the mighty Peter Green were all way more interesting players. I love guitar based rock and the blues but Clapton to me was either brilliant or awful and the whole patchy gamut is contained herein.

Being that this was the man who walked out on the "too commercial" Yardbirds he has produced some real pop pap. However when he is good he is very good, the Cream songs are outstanding, three massive egos adding up to the sum of their parts and more. His solo material is a real mixed bag, Layla whilst over familiar still raises the hairs when listened to in full. I still see dead people (Goodfellas) when I hear this - however which is Clapton and which is Greg Allman?.

Lay Down Sally is nice work and fun, Wonderful Tonight is stomach turningly twee in the extreme (although I think perhaps EC agrees), I know the subject matter but I am not fond of Tears in Heaven either. The unplugged version of Layla is excruciating elevator music. But you probably know these already. Other than that there are some fine softish rock tunes, if you are in that kind of mood. I always regarded the missing "Behind the Mask" as a guilty pleasure and think it should have been included with some of his early Bluesbreakers and Yardbirds work.

A nice taster but not in any way complete, but not for me. For all his talking about being a blues purist, this ain't the blues. Robert Johnson must be regretting selling his soul if this is his legacy.

His biography however is great, but that is another story.
on 13 October 2007
This is a double CD and with getting for 40 years of back catalogue and I do understand how its not always going to be possible to please everyone's expectations or hopes for any 'best of'..

However, I am particularly disppointed that The 'Complete' is far from anything remotely approaching 'Complete'. Essentially, its a greatest hits package, yet some of his biggest singles successes are missing. I refer in particular to songs such as 'Behind the Mask' (a number 15 hit in 1987), the live version of 'Wonderful tonight' (number 30 in 1991) and 'Love can build a bridge' (the only UK no.1 he's ever featured on!) but mainly I'm disappointed that 'Swing low sweet Chariot' is not included. His second most (solo) successful single of the 70's is greatly missed. (I shall have to keep my non-remastered version of 'Time pieces' if I want to hear that) ! Furthermore theres nothing from his John Mayall, Yardbird or Beatle work-outs and only 1 track from Blind Faith.

Given that his Golden period was mid 60's to Mid 90's (at best?) , why not concentrate on that period rather than Robert Johnson covers, BB King mish-mash, etc.

I do appreciate that different labels can sometimes play an important part in compilations. However, his major labels are mostly represented on this compilation (Excepting the London single 'Love can build a bridge') so what is the excuse for these omissions?

'Complete' means everything! Clearly, Polydor can't be expected to include all of his output on two discs, but for a 'best of' under a different name its track selection is appalling. What, may I ask, is 'complete' about this compilation?
on 27 October 2007
Of course, a 2 cd compilation spanning a 40 year careeer can't be complete so, yes, the title is somewhat misleading (as several other reviewers have pointed out). But it serves fine as an introduction to some of E.C.'s more popular tunes (though several gems and hits are missing).
on 13 October 2007
For years on British TV, we have had to put up with adverts for the latest album as being 'fantastic' (or some equally abused superlative), for an instantly forgettable, worse than mediocre, band recording. I don't tolerate: I just ignore these regularly rolled out and meaningless cliches. It's the marketing people seemingly having a vocabulary in 3 figures, thinking the younger age group are similarly afflicted and naive to believe this tosh.

But when marketing hype gets printed up as the title of a respected musician's latest CD, I feel comment should be made, with the tiny hope that these illiterate ************(put your own obscenity here),don't try to feed this rubbish to us in the future. The case in point is the heavily advertised Eric Clapton compilation The Complete Eric Clapton. As already said: Complete??? On 2 CDs??? Come on!! Worse, nothing is here representing the period Clapton became known as 'God 'i.e. in particularly the Yardbirds and Bluesbreakers periods. With so much marketing money thrown at promoting the set, surely there would have been money to pay EMI and Decca for the privilege of providing examples of Clapton's music from the early to mid 60's? Could this be a typo, should the cover really read The Incomplete Eric Clapton? With so many Clapton compilations out already, this triplication of what you probably have already, is clearly another Christmas stocking-filler-come-exploitation job on the back of Clapton's recently published "autobiography"? The cynic record company pushing back catalogue yet again. Indeed I wonder how much Clapton was involved, especially after the comments Clapton made on the Cream biographic DVD issued last year, bemoaning that Jack Bruce made most out of Cream through song royalties - the Complete Eric Clapton kicks off with Jack Bruce's I Feel Free. Doesn't smack of Eric being in control and having much say here - so much for this 'god's' omnipotence .

If we haven't heard all before in many packaged forms then we would be close to 5 star set here , but not for the umpteenth variant.
on 8 July 2016
For the man who was the first guitar hero and rock 'god', there's a strange world-weariness about Eric Clapton's work which goes right back to Badge. By the 70s he already seemed middle-aged. The opening of Layla, signature riff of Mondeo Man, belies the fact it is essentially downbeat - a fact brought out by the Unplugged version - and even the songs he chose to cover are gloomy. It got worse from there, and Disk 2 of this set is pretty much a write-off (it's annoying that it includes Rock'n'Roll Heart which is one of my favourites). He became the epitome of 'serious', supposedly grown-up music, the guitarist for people who don't like guitar - as someone put it, 'business class' music.

I've always thought his reputation as a guitarist was based on being the first rather than the best. He has integrity of that sort which pleases itself, playing spontaneously without caring that he is playing the same spontaneous thing as last time. He's not the kind of player that can light up a song; nor are there many solos - perhaps not any post-Cream - of which you could say 'wow, listen to this'. In fact I sometimes wonder if he isn't better as a singer. I suppose it's to his credit that he didn't go on forever with Cream's widdle-rock, yet he didn't seem to know what to do instead.

And yet there are some decent songs here, including a few written by him; maybe not a lot for a 40 year career, but enough to cover most of disk 1. You feel that, if nothing else, he was always a trier.
on 12 November 2007
There's no way that this album can hope to cover all of Clapton's career -but this is a good introduction to his style.

There are the classics that everybody associates with him - such as Layla, and I shot the sherrif, but there are some other gems on this album as well, such as the real tear jerker Tears in Heaven, and the thought provoking Cocaine.

All in all, a good album, and one that I am more than happy to say has taken residence in my car (as well as being copied onto my MP3 player!)