Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£8.99+ Free shipping

on 12 November 2007
There's no way that this album can hope to cover all of Clapton's career -but this is a good introduction to his style.

There are the classics that everybody associates with him - such as Layla, and I shot the sherrif, but there are some other gems on this album as well, such as the real tear jerker Tears in Heaven, and the thought provoking Cocaine.

All in all, a good album, and one that I am more than happy to say has taken residence in my car (as well as being copied onto my MP3 player!)
on 13 October 2007
This is a double CD and with getting for 40 years of back catalogue and I do understand how its not always going to be possible to please everyone's expectations or hopes for any 'best of'..

However, I am particularly disppointed that The 'Complete' is far from anything remotely approaching 'Complete'. Essentially, its a greatest hits package, yet some of his biggest singles successes are missing. I refer in particular to songs such as 'Behind the Mask' (a number 15 hit in 1987), the live version of 'Wonderful tonight' (number 30 in 1991) and 'Love can build a bridge' (the only UK no.1 he's ever featured on!) but mainly I'm disappointed that 'Swing low sweet Chariot' is not included. His second most (solo) successful single of the 70's is greatly missed. (I shall have to keep my non-remastered version of 'Time pieces' if I want to hear that) ! Furthermore theres nothing from his John Mayall, Yardbird or Beatle work-outs and only 1 track from Blind Faith.

Given that his Golden period was mid 60's to Mid 90's (at best?) , why not concentrate on that period rather than Robert Johnson covers, BB King mish-mash, etc.

I do appreciate that different labels can sometimes play an important part in compilations. However, his major labels are mostly represented on this compilation (Excepting the London single 'Love can build a bridge') so what is the excuse for these omissions?

'Complete' means everything! Clearly, Polydor can't be expected to include all of his output on two discs, but for a 'best of' under a different name its track selection is appalling. What, may I ask, is 'complete' about this compilation?
11 Comment| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 March 2017
Good collection of songs,,,
on 29 September 2013
although i'm a fan of cream,i'm not so much of the post blind faith clapton work,so this was bought for my partner,who likes the slower,mushier stuff eric clapton seems to do more of these days. stiil, its a great buy for over 30 tracks and at least there are some cream classics on it too,though "best of cream" is the album i prefer. this copy was supplied quickly and plays excellently though,so pleased for my partner.
on 3 May 2013
What a great album !!! all what I thought it was and what a great price it is to listen to Him.
on 30 May 2013
I had forgotten all these old Tunes from the days of Cream etc but still my favourites are "Lovely tonight" and "Layla" so good to hear these songs again, always remember Eric saying after seeing Jimi Hendrix saying to Jeff Beck something along the lines of
(with head in hands) "we're all finished now"
on 25 September 2011
I have every sympathy with those who rightly complain that this isn't complete, or just another "best of"... because that is what it is. A cynical marketing exercise to prize pounds from your wallet for something you've either already got, or can get elsewhere, or even, in these days of MP3, make up yourself if you are a real fan. As for an "introduction to Clapton", that is bunk. There is a vast variety of styles for which he is rightly lauded, but the very nature of the beast means that, like for me, some of them are a waste of time and money.
Eric Clapton doesn't need the money, and I suspect is embarrassed at yet another ploy to make money from his name without good justification. How many times do you need to buy another CD with Layla on it?
33 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 27 January 2017
What a fab collection. Someone will always moan about a compilation album as their own personal preference is missing. If so, just add the single to your basket as an mp3 and enjoy the rest of this magnificent compilation of a master at work. If you are just starting out on Clapton then you can hardly go wrong.
on 23 April 2010
Purists will no doubt debate the "Completeness" of this collection, but no one will do anything but rave about the pristine quality of the sound and packaging of this collection.

It's all GREAT stuff (Look at the tracks!) from his various decades of impeccable music, and you are sure to love it. I personally gravitate toward the Cream and Derek and the Dominos stuff, but if you want accoustic goodies or to go "Ridin' With The King", jump on board!

The ONLY reason for 4 stars, not 5 stars, is the fact that it arrived from Amazonuk.com without shrinkwrap. I wanted to give this as a gift, but it doesn't come across as "new" if not sealed in shrinkwrap. (How is the recipient to feel that it isn't "used"?).

Other than that, though, it's a historic and career-spanning 10-star package from a 20-star artist. Very, very highly recommended. I did not own much of the Clapton catalogue before this purchase. This was the perfect collection to one-stop-shop this music legend. You will absolutely love it. And what a bargain!
on 16 September 2013
I found a tape with a single song recorded [Tears in Heaven] in my late wife's car. Therefore, this disc was a must buy. The Tears in Heaven track has been played a lot - but the other tracks are good too. The disc was delivered almost by return of post.