on 31 May 2017
One of KK Duk's better films
on 23 October 2016
Brill Very unusual
on 16 April 2013
If you are a fan of Kim Ki-duk, you'll find this film very interesting. Kim, in many of his works, seems to stress that spiritual or Platonic love is more precious and valuable than physical love. Some may find his films odd and hard to accept, but once you get used to it and accept his philosophy, you'll love him. I myself am a good example. Kim Ki-duk is undoubtedly one of the most important film directors in the world today. Take my advice, keep tracking him, he won't disappoint you.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 July 2016
"Time" is a drama film from South Korea, written and directed by Kim Ki-duk.

---------spoilers---------

It tells the story of a neurotic and obsessively jealous young woman See-hee (Seong Hyeon-ah), who is so convinced that her boyfriend "Ji-woo" (Ha Jung-woo) is tiring of her that she leaves him, without explanation, to have extensive facial plastic surgery and disappears for several months to recover. (Yes, really)

She reappears in the local coffee shop as the facially unrecognisable "She-hee" (now played by Park Ji-yun) and (re)kindles a relationship with the still heartbroken Ji-woo. Unfortunately while See-hee now looks physically different, her inner self-loathing, (and frankly psychotic), self is unchanged. (If anything, it becomes more extreme after the surgery, as things are now even more complicated than before). The reaction of her ex-boyfriend, when he discovers the truth about her, made me think that this was perhaps intended as a sly (South Korean) societal comedy, that I simply didn't "get".

I found the film frustrating more than engaging, with quite a lot of "art house"-type dialogue, which I found wearing after a while.

As a straight forward story about obsession, it didn't work for me because neither See-hee nor her boyfriend were well enough drawn to explain their respective, frankly irrational, behaviours through out the film. In fact, See-hee seemed in need of professional psychiatric assistance, which made the whole thing rather feel a bit uncomfortable.

While light on character development and plot, I suspect that the film is full of symbolism and metaphor (which I probably missed) and it will likely speak to others far more than it did to me.

It is certainly well made and the two cental actors do a very good job indeed, but it is just not one for me, personally.

----------
One person found this helpful
on 3 June 2010
I've been looking all over the internet for this film. Then it suddenly hit me why not try Amazon.co.uk???

This is my first time using 'All Your Music' and I'm impressed. I would definitely use them again.

Many thanks!
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 28 July 2010
Wauh, what a cool way to put light onto the question of identity. Who are we. What is our essence. It seems so natural a story from Korea, there is an asian touch here (offcause) that we in the west only recently are beginning to tap into. As a former Budhist watching this film felt like coming home to my village but they have evolved, and are more interesting to hang out with. I loved it.
2 people found this helpful