on 8 February 2010
Hardback Review
After having looked at my dad's 'The Pocket Dangerous Book for Boys: Things to Do,' I decided to purchase this book to see if it had any similar content. Although the book is complex in parts, it is still packed with fascinating facts and fun activites to do. It even made a perfect resource for making origami boxes in my calligraphy class.

There are some sections that remind me of my own childhood such as Handclap Games, Skipping, Campfire Songs (although I have never sung around a campfire) and Charades (a fun game from my childhood). I will definitely buy 'The Double Daring Book for Girls' one day. 5/5.

Kindle Review (Updated 18/2/2011)
I recently downloaded the Kindle version of this book to my iPhone and most of the content is the same as the hardback book but it's actually the original American version! I wish the UK edition of the book was available in Kindle form to cater to the tastes of British fans of the hardback book. The good thing is that if I go away on holiday, I will no longer have to worry about lugging around a heavy book. 4/5.
on 15 March 2009
My daughter LOVES this book and now has a 'Daring Book for Girls' bag packed to take with her whenever we go out. The breadth of things covered is amazing; tree climbing, knots, spies, but it also feeds the mind - she wants to watch Elizabeth and has expanded her reading list too, all because of things in this book. Buy it
on 15 February 2013
The copy I received is an American book. This would be great if you're in the States. But I'm not - and I bought this from Amazon UK.

About half the book isn't going to be of interest to my girls. For example theWomen Inventors/scientists section pretty much just features Americans, the patent facts are all American. In the Bird watching section - you're looking out for Blue Jays, American Robins, American Tree Sparrows. There's lots about softball, John Adams, New York Tides, The US Constitution etc etc

I could go on but you get the picture.

Spelling - obviously all US English too.

There has to be a UK edition or this one just wouldn't sell here. Avoid it.

Poor show Amazon.

---- EDIT ----

Thought I take a punt on a secondhand copy (couldn't understand all the 5 star reviews) and got what appears to be a UK edition.

Completely different content and can now understand all the rave reviews.

The UK one has a pale green cover. Make sure you get that one. (You'll probably have to buy it secondhand.)
44 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 February 2013
These books are great. Some rather tongue in cheek information which adds to the entertainment value. Some really useful hints and tips. I bought this book for a "grown up" friend for Xmas and also received a copy in return (great minds thinking alike). It is a great reaqd that gets picked up time and time again.
on 3 June 2012
This book is like being a scout , without the badges ,I still have it on my book shelf ready for when my daughters get a little bigger.
on 20 June 2013
7 year old daughter loves it and has learnt to make a Cootie Catcher, several skipping rhymes and all about female pirates. My only gripe is that this is geared towards American children so many of the heroines are American and I don't suppose any of the birds in the birdwatching section are to be found in the British Isles. However, most sections are appropriate to daring girls the world over. We're happy enough.
on 1 February 2009
Very good book for my eleven year old grand-daughter. Lots of ideas and lots to do. Also plenty of interesting information. She is a girl guide and it fits very well with that. An excellent book
on 27 January 2014
Bought this for my 10 year old daughter for christmas and she absolutely loves it. She follows lots of the ideas.
on 22 December 2016
The book is American. Examples, spelling, information. Avoid if in the UK. Very annoyed I didn't read all the reviews.
on 23 November 2015
DON'T BUY THIS BOOK!
Sadly one of the suggestions in this book involves calling up the dead spirit of Mary Queen of Scots...this has had a devastating results in our community. The children involved were beyond scared and have had night after night of sleepless nights. A fear in my child (and countless others) that I have never witnessed before. It is clearly meant for harmless fun but the author has no idea what depth of spiritualism they are dealing with. Two academic classes in our local primary school have been effected and the head teachers has been involved to stop this dare from being performed. Please, please beware of what you are dealing with, but ideally the book needs editing to remove such deep horror.