on 20 May 2013
This is a fantastic collection to own. Brilliant quality of sound and picture. It includes my favourite, The Blue Dahlia, plus The Killers with Burt Lancaster at his most beautiful. I was also struck by how dark and indeed violent the films are, particularly The Glass Key, with Ladd putting in a superb performance: I think we forget just how fine an actor he was. Buy the set and enjoy several hours of darkness!
2 people found this helpful
on 19 February 2013
Great collection with not a duffer in sight. My personal favourites the Alan Ladd and Veronica Lake (hubba-hubba!) gems and Dick Powell giving Bogie a real run for his money as Marlowe in 'Murder My Sweet'. That good, I bought the same collection again to send to family overseas. Now they're loving it too.
3 people found this helpful
on 20 August 2015
I am a self confessed Film Noir fan, and have been for many years. This set contains a dozen movies, which I got for the bargain price of £12.00. Getting any old movie for a pound a piece is a bargain, and as most of these are fine, sometimes great movies, it really is irresistible.
on 16 July 2017
Kirk at his best.' I'm Spartacus' another gem, a 'Viking' I am
on 3 April 2016
Given as a gift and given the feedback that they were great, difficult to review otherwise but no reason to doubt this film expert
on 2 January 2014
I love it!A good selection of noir films, including some of Alan Ladd's best.The inclusion of The Big Steal in a colorised version was a big plus for me, rather like a bonus.A fine addition to any collectors library and a great introduction to the genre for those who want to see gritty tough talking often dark crime and detective stories from the golden age of Hollywood productions.
One person found this helpful
on 19 June 2016
Very good collection of classic black and white thrillers, including Alan Ladd's first starring role, and Don Siegel's 'The Big Steal', a comedy thriller with the master's touch, pairing Mitchum and Jane Greer in a very different relationship from that in 'Out of the Past'. Very good value - I can now pass on to a charity shop my DVDs of those duplicated here.
on 18 October 2013
A great collection of films noir. Some well known, others less well known. Some straightforward - if rather twisted - murders, some concerned with the politics of the time. All moody and atmospheric in different ways. Fantastic casting. A good value box set.
on 27 July 2015
This brought a huge smile to the face of my father... made his week to get this. Wish there were other collections similar by the same company, for the same price.. His only issue now is trying to get the TV and DVD player to himself to watch it!
One person found this helpful
on 5 September 2015
An absolutely fabulous collection although I do agree with previous reviewers that I was not happy with the colourised version of "The Big Steal".