Customer reviews

Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 April 2012
I don't Know how I missed this first time around as it was in my era, and I liked many of songs. However for a nostalgia trip this particular version is excellent value, having a good number of bonus tracks on the second disk. Ideal if you just want music and can live without the tin gimmick.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 January 2010
Not so long ago, I was leafing through Ronnie Wood's autobiography. He mentioned how he kept listening to this album till he wore the record out.

And I thought, hmm, if a Rolling Stone listened to this album till he wore it out, it must be good. When I went to buy it, all that was available was a $47 import version. Fortunately, this new version of the album with 14 bonus tracks (26 total)is now available.

Released in 1968, this psychedelic concept album, went to No 1 in the UK for 6 weeks. Unfortunately, not long after, the group, on the verge of superstardom disbanded. Lead singer Steve Marriott went on to form Humble Pie with Peter Frampton. The other members went on to form The Faces with Rod Stewart, and Ronnie Wood...

Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake, a parody of a popular tobacco, is a most unusual concept album. It's rock but not as we understand it. It's folky, mythical, fairytale, surreal, original and fun.

I can't really say what it's about. There's a popular prostitute called Rene, and someone's looking for half a moon. Songs you may already know Itchycoo Park, and Lazy Sunday. There is some inspired narration, using nonsense lyrics like Lewis Caroll in Jabberwocky. Mind expanding. Think Alice in Wonderland meets White Album, and you have some idea of its eclecticism:

Over bridge of sighs,
To rest my eyes in shades of green.
Under dreamin spires,
To Itchycoo Park,
That's where I've been.

Personally, I love the opening track, and Here Comes the Nice, and those Jabberwocky tracks.

Ronnie Wood has great taste in music.

I know you will enjoy this wonderful claasic, and I hope this review was useful.