on 14 June 2010
I have the yellow version of this and it's absolutely superb. Robust, highly visible, carries plenty of stuff - and the hook system for clipping it onto the bike rack is a work of quiet genius.

My only wish is that they would sell individual ones instead of pairs. A pair is as much as I paid for my (second hand) bike! I did manage to come to an arrangement with the shop but if you can't do that and a pair seems expensive, I would suggest you buy a pair and eBay one of them. Cos they're brilliant.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 August 2012
I was struck by the High-visibility of these pannier bags and their easy connect/disconnect to my bike. Basically, pick them up by the tape handle and they come away in the hand. There are locking tabs which prevent their unauthorised removal. Easily converted to a carry bag for shoulder transport. They are waterproof and as I have stresssed highly visible in poor light. I am quite pleased with mine, just a quick wipe and they're clean again.
on 21 June 2011
I chose Ortlieb for a 3 week tour of the Scottish Highlands. I was expecting the worst weather imaginable so my choice of panniers was simple. Waterproof, it rained for 10 days solid and not one drop leaked inside. The roll top ensures that there are no weak spots like zips and they roll close very quickly.
To be seen, Bright yellow and with reflective patches on the ends which judging by my photos looks like bright lights on each bag.
Easy to clip on and off, They came with a selection of clips to fit most racks and the ease of which they clip on and off even when full was excellent. They even come with a carry strap.
Space, there are 2 pockets in each bag one zipped and the other wide enough for maps etc very handy.

These bags are simply the best buy out there! If you've ever struggled with fixing straps and waterproof inserts on sub standard bags then these are for you. The build quality is certainly worth the price and I've a feeling I'll not need new ones for a very long time. 5 stars? of course.
on 28 August 2012
It's quite expensive, but much better that other cheap panniers which I have used. The ease of clipping on and off make a huge difference, and make it a pleasure to use. It can also take an enormous amount of stuff. Where I once used 3 bags, e.g. for laptop, lunch and football kit, now it all easily fits into one bag. I ordered a pair, but will only ever need to use one!
on 30 December 2014
As a sports coach working at several schools i need to carry my uniform and winter clothing with me every day. These panniers provide a good amount of storage and are completely waterproof. A very simple and sturdy design allows you to organize your stuff easily. Without closing the top you can transport a surprising amount though it means there is no protection from the weather. The reflective patches are brilliant in the dark. They are very simple to adjust and can be taken on and off very easily, though once on you can guarantee they will not unclip.The strap is very useful for carrying them around though the clips can be uncomfortable on your hips. if you are thinking of changing over from a rucksack then do it, you can barely notice them on the rear of the bike, you don't arrive with an uncomfortable and sweaty back. My only criticism of them would be a way to distinguish between the two panniers, I have taped the handle on one of them so I know whats in each one.
on 10 February 2012
Excellent and extremely robust bag with an element of quiet genius in the attachment/removal mechanism. My previous panniers involved several minutes fiddling with straps and velcro and inevitably getting pretty grubby, so this is a fantastic change for me. The only downside is the "single pocket" approach. There is no quick-access place to put a wallet or train ticket so, like me, you might need to rethink how you carry these things. (There is a separate "document pocket" inside the bag but you have to open the whole bag to gain access.) I've been happy to make this change for the massive advantages of waterproof, easy-to-carry, fast-release carrying capacity. I wouldn't go back.
on 14 January 2013
I have a foldable bicycle from decathlon, with a rack at the back. The Ortlieb bag fits like a glove on it.. Using an allen key, this bag allows you to adjust where u want to attach it with the frame of the bike and it has 2 clips ,attached to a handle, that hook onto the rack. With just a lift of that small handle the bag comes off and easily clips back on. Im always on the move, needing to fold my bike while travelling to work, this bag is an amazing product.
Clipping it back on is 1 easy step and more these clips have mini "u shape plastics hooks" that go inside the hooks to fit different sizes of racks , to allow a sturdier Clip on the rack, meaning that the bag wont be slidding or moving when im cycling, even on bumpy roads where i live. The bag itself is waterproof and has a strong feel... And a bonus, its made in Europe- Germany... I recommend this bag.
on 7 February 2013
i brought this for my partners birthday, he cycles to work and has a lot of items to carry. he uses these bags all the time, not just when he is cycling as they are so useful, durable and being waterproof means we can use them in watersports or wet weather. fantastic!!
on 14 March 2015
Excellent quality and fantastic finish. They were a present for my very keen cyclist boyfriend who has not stopped telling me how great they are. He uses them on a daily basis. They have plenty of room for shopping and swimming kit and are great in all weathers. The handles on them make them easy to carry around off the bike. There is a reflective panel on the side for visibility. A good buy after much research.
on 29 November 2014
There's not a lot I can say other than there's a very good reason why virtually all cycle-tourists seem to be using them. They just work - no frills or spills, just hardcore durability and a level of waterproofness that's unmatched. I had looked at the Vaude panniers, but there seemed more to go wrong with the locking mechanism, and the fact it buckled up at the sides, and not at the top like the Ortliebs was something I didn't like the look of. I find that by rolling the bag top several times, doubling it back on itself and buckling the two ends up in the middle, I'm able to achieve an air tight seal.