Customer reviews

VINE VOICEon 11 March 2008
I actually watched the film the whole way through and I can tell you that misogyny was not its message! An extremely thin Depardieu has a strange fascination with his incredibly boring wife who either sits or knits (or faints without a clear medical reason). In order to cheer her up he invites a total stranger to sleep with her. As the stranger is a teacher, the couple get invited to a kids' summer camp. There Mrs Boring becomes fascinated and entangled with a 13 year old child genius. Everyone she sleeps with ends up with a cable knit jumper. Rather like picking at a scab, this film had some fascination, but ultimately once was enough. I found it similar to Betty Blue in that I had no idea why the men were obsessed with the dull heroine.
on 4 February 2010
Bertrand Blier has rather an odd opinion of women, usually we are all gagging for it and have no discrimination. I don't mind that, it seems to be his view and it leads to some very interesting films.
Here the leading female character (not heroine, she is deeply unsympathetic) is completely passive. Her devoted husband decides he is not satisfying her sexually, so tries to find a man who can. After a lot of unlikely situations she finds someone. Here is the disturbing bit, he is a thirteen year old schoolboy at a Summer camp. Never mind that he is precocious, intelligent, alienated from his peers and that they form a real emotional as well as physical bond, he is thirteen (although the actor was older, I think).

If you do not want to know the result, look away now.
She ends up leaving the loving husband and equally devoted lover to become housekeeper to the boys family and presumably carry on with their affair (what were his parents thinking of?) while the men look through the windows.
The film has some good touches, I rather liked her sitting there in the nude knitting jumpers for them all, but it isn't one of Blier's best and the paedophilic aspects added to my disatisfaction with this film.
I have given it three stars, because he can't make a bad film and maybe I'm overreacting (I find older men having relationships with young girls creepy too, which most people don't seem to mind), so watch it and decide for yourselves.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 March 2008
I like Gerald Depardieu, but not the part he had to play in this film. It was made in 1978 and won awards but now seems crude and dated in its attitudes to women. The story is pretty stupid: a husband (Depardieu) wants to spice up his wife's sex life. He invites a total stranger to sleep with her. She is not consulted and appears totally passive. I gave up after about 30 mins.