Customer reviews

Secret Story
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 October 2007
The original Secret Story has been one of my favourite albums since it was released back in 1992. Hearing a while back that it was going to be included in the reissues of remastered Pat Metheny titles I must admit to wondering whether it would be worth buying - would the sound be that much better than the original, which already sounds pretty good?

Well, thanks be to Pat Metheny because this is a remastered album in the truest sense. Not only does it sound so much better, but some of the pieces have been altered by bringing various tracks either higher or lower in the mix - it's almost like listening to new songs. This has really added a great deal and has brought so much more to the Secret Story experience.

As far as the 5 previously unreleased tracks go - they are included together on a separate disc, which is really the only good thing because I won't have to think about having to skip any tracks while enjoying the original running order. They are not that good - pleasantly middle of the road at best - and probably easy to see why they didn't make it onto the original version. Hey, I'm a massive Pat Metheny fan, but you gotta be honest. I notice that the new tracks have been downloaded many times on itunes - many more times than any of the other ST tracks. You guys who do this rather then buying the album are crazy because you're missing out on what the real issue is - the joy of the remastered Secret Story.

The new packaging is nice but I would have liked some extra info - maybe some new liner notes, some thoughts by Pat on what he felt and thought about whilst revisiting the album.

I remember watching in awe Pat play the album live (in Wolverhampton of all places) when he toured it in the 90s. In light of the current trend of artists playing one of their great albums in it's entirety - wouldn't it be amazing if he were to tour this album again 15 years later
33 Comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2010
My review for the original CD ran :-

"Sgt Pepper, Blood Sweat and Tears 2 are the only other albums which had such an impact on me as Secret Story. It may just be a matter of timing. I put the CD onto my Walkman and played it through the night on a sleeper train crossing France and the memory and impression of the music is still just as strong over 10 years later.

If it wasn't for a chance visit to HMV Oxford St where this was the album playing on the Jazz floor I would never have heard of PMG. Odd. A chance encounter that has introduced me to a band that is one on the most played on my CD. The album seems aptly named as PMG still seems to be one of the best kept secrets of the music world and I have never heard a track on BBC radio or any other station."

I had to buy the remastered CD not mainly for the extra tracks (pretty mediocre by PMG standards and I can see why they didn't make the original cut) but because any improvement on such a fantastic CD was a 'must hear'. Initially I was puzzled by what the remastering had achieved, but the real test is that I am still regularly listening to the album, and I think that is because the overall sound and impact is much improved. Difficult to pin down but I am now fully convinced that the remastering was worthwhile. There is also a DVD of a live concert of Secret Story which I have also reviewed, but for the full audio experience, this CD is a must buy.

16 years after buying the original CD when it was released in the UK, I am still moved and hugely impressed by the emotional range, variety, originality and uniqueness of the Secret Story project. In an interview, Pat Metheny said that many listeners thought it was a soundtrack without a movie. That is a great summary and if there was ever a film to go with the soundtrack, that would be a cinematic experience I would queue a long time to see. I would probably have to take a big box of tissues too. 'The Truth Will Always Be' is still one of the great musical moments in my life and often reduces me to tears. Extraordinary talent, that Mr Metheny.
on 12 August 2017
grows on you the more times you play.
on 13 October 2007
I heard some of the tracks from this album on I-Tunes and decided this was a must for me to buy. Sure, I wasn't disappointed! This album contains the wide spectrum of human emotion, pure joy on some tracks and others it almost brings you to your knees in reflection of the ups and downs of life itself.Its themes and rhythms are simply awe inspiring. Metheny's guitar wizardry and his more than competent musicians seem to be able to create on each track something very special and memorable. Buy it!
on 25 October 2012
'Stunning' is the best word I can think of to describe 'Secret Story' a 'world-music' album from Pat Metheny, Only four stars because it does fade in the latter half, but by then you know its already a really special album. Highlights for me are the extraordinary vocals and vocal effects, also the marvellously athmospheric 'Rain-river', which will surely be used as a film soundtrack someday (lets hope the film deserves it). Of course Metheny has done many marvellous things in his long career, - this album is definitely one of them.
on 18 February 2012
I bought the deluxe edition which has the extra disc of music that never made it onto the original release. If you are a fan of the Pat Metheny Group then I would recommend that you buy this disc. It is simply a pleasure to listen to and the perfect antidote to a hard day at work. This is perhaps my favourite PM recording regardless of whether he is playing solo, with PMG or with any other group combination.
on 15 April 2016
Beautiful,emotive,reasonate and romantic...from the Greatest living jazz guitarist in the World,as I see it.Love 'ya Pat.You should too,folks..
on 8 January 2014
Amazing and beautiful music ,extra bonus tracks are great too .This is my third copy of this album ,I've worn out the others. - Stu
on 14 October 2011
This album is magnificent. It confirms Metheny as a giant of American musical composition. He is a sensation on the guitar, but this CD shows how great a composer he is - way beyond jazz, it takes him into a realm with Philip Glass, Gershwin and Bernstein - possibly even Copeland.

He's a phenomenon - a modern Mozart in terms of his guitar virtuosity, but (possibly even more important) his composing is so wide-ranging, it references so many genres, emotions, moods and styles that it transcends easy categorization. This album, as much as any he has made, kind of sums up what Pat Metheny's songs are all about.
on 2 July 2014