Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Drake Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

on 3 February 2008
The story centres around the allotment and the characters therin. Along come a 'family' of asylum seakers who have been given a plot to assist with the rehab of one of the main characters. This causes a mild panic in the allotment with the regulars coping with this in differing ways. You do want the main character to come good and he does! Along the way there is some great acting, some tearful moments and some really touching performances and a big dose of humour (one or two mild expletives). A typical british film about how people live their introverted allotment life and how they cope with change. I watched this with my young family and we all loved it. I was the only one who cried though! A feel good film.
22 Comments| 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 7 June 2008
When I saw the trailer for this on another DVD I decided to get it out and was I glad. I wasn't sure about it initially but it turned into a real heartwarming and funny story of people, their prejudice and ways in which people can grow.

The story centers around a set of alotments and a group of immigrants who find themselves given alotments as a way of getting them over trauma and integrated into society. Along the way there's racism, love, laughter and sadness and it really dragged me in.

I would recommend it to anyone.
VINE VOICEon 16 February 2008
We all loved this film, even my 15 year old Nephew!!

Grow You Own is a real heart warmer, with good old British humour and some very serious points as well.

A great story line that shows some of the ignorance that can blight old blighty, but also shows some of the strengths as well.

Rent it, you won't regret it.
on 17 March 2008
As a vegetable gardener, this movie looked just right on a recent long-haul flight. There was nothing in it about actual gardening (as I couldn't really have expected there to be - after all, its not a gardening show), but the movie itself turned out to be absolutely wonderful. In fact, I found myself extremely embarrassed when the stewardess came around offering drinks to find me sitting there blubbering away into a serviette (and, no, I am not gay).

Very little happens in the way of action, but the look we are given of the lives of everyday people in the suburbs of England is one that, while appearing outwardly quite bleak, is actually full of warmth and humor.

Highly recommended
on 15 November 2007
I was lucky enough to attend a preview of this film and thought it was wonderful. 5 months on having watched it again it still has the same charm, humour and sensitivity. A topical and poignant film the subject matter dealt with in a subtle and thought provoking way. Frank Cotterell Boyce and Richard Laxton have produced a film which will entertain all veiwers and leave them examining their own prejudices.
Well done chaps!
on 9 June 2015
Feel-good movie with more depth to it than first appears. Seriously heart warming, and yet strangely sad, too, in parts, painting people as they really are. And the small-mindedness of committees, and committee chairs, who think they're in positions of power, is well portrayed. Society as seen through the lens of growing vegetables. Brilliant!
on 21 October 2015
If you're looking for a hard-hitting British drama about the state of our society then this probably isn't what you're looking for. If you're looking, however, for an understated comedy-meets-drama that touches upon love, death, mental health, rejection and (most importantly) acceptance that has a bit more than meets the eye - then this could be your new favourite.

I am generally a fan of these types of British comedies so I may be slightly biased but I felt a genuine warmth for each character. I found the character development very effective and not too rushed. The funny parts were funny and the sad parts, tragically sad.

I first saw this by chance on TV a few years ago. Unusually for me, I hadn't read anything about it and had no idea what to expect. By the end I was not only touched, but genuinely moved. A couple of Christmases ago I bought the film for my dad and insisted we all sit down and watch it as a family (despite all being a bit too grown-up for our own good). Needless to say, we all loved it - and I can assure you that we are a very mixed bunch.

True, parts are predictable with the standard British comedy cast playing roles that we can't help but feel oh so accustomed to - but this isn't to the detriment of the film and is easily made up for in its beautiful subtleties, laugh-out-loud moments and brutal honesty.

Still one of my favourite films and one that has stuck in the mind for a few years.
on 3 May 2010
There is something about low budget British movies that are wonderful. Following on in that great tradition of the Ealing comedies of the 1950s, this is a poignant, warm and witty slice of British life. A recognisable cast who are all on fine form, provide 97 minutes of pure joy. An ideal antidote to those of you jadded cynics who think the British film industry is a pale immitation of their Hollywood cousins. They're not - They're better!
on 20 October 2016
On appearances this may well be judged as a non entity film!! However, this is really a feel good film. As it evolves around a Chinese family, one of the main group of characters, seeking asylum in the UK. Though the reason, at first, isn't known. So here they are placed on an allotment. Where more than just a few feathers are ruffled! The characters in the allotment are superb, they are all different and blend in perfectly with each other. They are like a liquorice all sorts of characters, and it works superbly with the storyline that has been set. Nobody wants this Chinese family there, but they are curious all the same, and thus resort to the "Them & Us" sydrome. All instigated by one of the main characters who, being an ex copper, believes his word rules! He rules the allotment as the head man, and is quite a jobs worth type of person. Though with time, the Chinese father, who is traumatised, slowly starts to break his silence and sort of try to get involved. There is one character who refuses to conform with all the other allotment holders, and does what everyone else has voted against! His actions are perfection to a T. It really is a film of many emotions. There's anger, disappointment, mistrust, laughter, egotistical attitude, non conformist thinking and emotion. I watched this film on my own, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Plus I found myself having a bit of a tear running down my cheek with some of the emotional impact. Which, to me, wasn't in your face or anything like that. The emotional content was very suttle and discrete, and THAT is what made this film for me to be so enjoyable. The impact of this film with its suttle storyline do definitely hit the spot. For total enjoyment. You really must view this film, then you will understand what I, and others, mean It's a classic family film. Just have a tissue at the ready. As the room could possibly become a little misty. Enjoy.
on 29 December 2009
An excellent film. Very funny and sad too and lots of other ingredients! A film that all the family can watch together. The little Chinese girl is a very good actress!