Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 November 2007
I am not one for 'recital' discs, as so often they are mere bleeding chunks of larger works, which encourage lazy listening: Also, there are too many compilation discs by so-called opera singers who have neither the voices nor the stamina for actual opera or classical works. This however is the real thing.

I cannot even begin to think how our one star wonder came to his conclusions about Kate Royal's voice, as they are bizarrely off-beam. There are no problems with vibrato, her pitch is firm and secure: This is a rich, full, creamy voice with bags of character and a superb musical and interpretative control. I think it is fair to say that Ms Royal has true star quality.

This is a generous and imaginative programme which presents both well-known and more obscure items: it is a tribute to the singer that she brings the same integrity to every piece on the album. Rodrigo's 'Cuatro madrigales amatorios' are an absolute delight, whilst the 'Chanson espagnole' from Delibes' Les Filles de Cadix is a showstopper.

The three songs from Canteloube's 'Chants d'Auvergne' are all the obvious choices from that collection, but entirely justified given the sensuous characterisation she brings to them- especially the smouldering 'Bailero': more- much more- of this please!

Similarly, the Richard Strauss songs are those (other than the ubiquitous Four Last) most regularly heard: with precision and clarity of line, she makes them very much her own.

Orchestral playing by the Academy of St Martin in the Fields under Edward Gardner is exemplary, and the recording as near perfect as one would wish.
Oh... and I think I've fallen in love.....(!)
on 5 October 2007
I saw Ms Royal on the proms TV show on the BBC and was amazed by her performance and just had to buy the CD. I have to say the person who gave one star must have been listening to someone else as her voice is exquisite and I find it almost meditative to sit back and enjoy her soaring vocals.
Very soothing and uplifting at the same time! a must buy!!
on 5 October 2007
I can't get enough of this album, Kate is an incredible operatic talent and the selection of songs on this album really blends together well, plus there is something for everyone!
on 5 September 2007
The most beautiful CD I have heard in years! Am moved to tears by her singing! Not to mention the technical mastery and beauty of sound.

And also am so grateful she has chosen to stay away from the old usuals - her choice of songs shows a lot of taste and a very interesting personality.

Here's a new fan!
on 8 October 2015
Perhaps 3 stars only is a little ungenerous, but I was disappointed by this disk. Perhaps I have been spoiled by her 'Lesson in Love' album, which is wonderful, with her voice, and the production, fully complementing the emotional focus of the recital. Here, though, I find the orchestration slightly intrusive and the recording rather dulling a voice I love. Also, having enjoyed the astringency of her 'Lesson in Love' recital, I find this album a little too 'soupy' for my taste. Don't get me wrong, Kate Royal is a tremendous singer and a tremendous musician, but for that very reason, she's best heard close up, and in detail.
on 25 September 2007
What the reviewer was listening to who gave one star I don't know, but either he had a bad pressing or was listening under water, because Kate Royal's voice is absolutely exquisite - a rich velvety soprano tone whose clarity and intonation is spot on. The control with which she hits her notes is totally unforced and her pianos are breathtaking. She has no more or less vibrato than any top drawer soprano with an almost unmatched skill in trills. I much prefer to consider the opinions of people like Simon Rattle who rates Kate Royal very highly indeed. In all a really beautiful and non cliched recording. Kate is one to watch, and listen to! Buy this, you won't be disappointed!
on 21 February 2008
I got this CD for christmas and it is fantastic - one of my best pesents. She has a fantastic voice, wonderful rich sound, full of emotion and sounding effortless.
I am training to be an opera/classical singer myself so i can say technically she is superb.
A very exciting album to listen to. You wont be dissapointed.
on 12 December 2007
What a wonderful debut disc. Miss Royal's voice is simply one of the most beautiful and relaxing sounds one could wish to hear.
on 21 March 2015