Edition: Yoke System|Change
Price:£215.73 - £249.99

on 25 February 2009
The Saitek Yoke and Throttle Quadrant is a superb piece of kit overall. Both the kit and the accompanying software is fully compatible with Vista 64-bit, and it worked straight out of the box in Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX).

Early batches exhibited a 'phantom button' fault (Saitek do replace these units via dealers) but this was remedied in later batches. More recent reports of the fault have transpired either to be dealers still offering old stock, or a misconfiguration of FSX (FSX can assign joystick button clicks to the 'mouse yoke' option too, or duplicate joystick button assignments for different controls, creating a conflict if not reconfigured in the game settings). Happily, the set I bought from Amazon UK (sold by Avides) is totally fault-free.

There are no instructions for setting up the kit and no supplied manual which isn't really excusable because a manual HAS been produced - but it can only be downloaded direct from Saitek's site. Without a manual, the back of the box suggests mount options but the rest was easy to figure out. The clamp of the quadrant mounts the quadrant either on top of or on the front edge of the desk. The main yoke unit is pretty big and takes up a lot of desk space, but the clamp holds it adequately. However, the clamp obstructed my sliding keyboard shelf under the desk so I have to move the keyboard to an accessible place on my desk before mounting the yoke. The clamp only just squeezes in front of the keyboard shelf (my desk overhangs this shelf by a mere 2 inches so it's tight) but it DOES fit. Clamps for both the yoke and quadrant are sufficiently strong enough to allow a hefty amount of push and pull!

The base of the yoke offers a USB hub. These ports are primarily to for additional quadrants and other flight add-ons (bought separately from Saitek). There is also a power connector socket to power these USB ports, but the power pack is an optional extra, which seems a bit cheap of Saitek given the price of this kit. However, the main yoke and quadrant do not require additional power and so an adaptor will likely only be required for certain add-ons. The cable for the main yoke is USB, but it is not overly long. Buyers who don't have front-mounted USB ports on their PC might benefit from acquiring a desk-mounted USB hub. The cable connecting the quadrant to the main yoke is plenty long enough.

Software installation is easy. Windows XP 32 and 64-bit are supported, and likewise Vista 32 and 64-bit varieties. In forums, Mac users also report success. You cannot install the drivers until the yoke is fitted, but Vista 64-bit happily accepted the new drivers and software. No additional downloads are required. There is a good variety of buttons on the yoke itself which are ideal for trim, flaps and rudder control if you don't own the separate rudder pedals. There is also a 'mode 1/2/3' selector to allow the yoke to store three different sets of control-assignments if desired (e.g. one set for prop plane controls, one for gliders and one for jets). The accompanying quadrant offers another three axes for throttle, fuel mixture etc, together with six additional rocker switch buttons for engines, landing gear or anything else of your choosing. More quadrants can be added if desired. All functions can be reprogrammed with the accompanying software, but in FSX, I haven't found this necessary.

The yoke takes a little getting used to at first. Out of the box, there is a degree of dead zone on the X-Y aileron axis necessitating a tilt of at least 10 degrees before the yoke had any affect on tilt of the plane's wings (this can be reduced in FSX and third party utilities if preferred). I found the pitch movement (pulling the yoke outwards or pushing inwards) was smooth; pitching upwards sometimes seemed to offer a lesser degree of lift than a regular joystick which gave me a few bumpy landings before I got used to it. The quadrant levers behave with great accuracy, making minute adjustments in throttle easy to accomplish. Each lever also offers a 'reverse direction' option that can be assigned to a different control function if required.

The main yoke feels strong and sturdy (the quadrant is perhaps a tad flimsier but is robust enough to serve its purpose), and the spring back to centre on both axes is just right. Overall, the stability of the controls in straight-and-level flying is fantastic, and it adds a much greater sense of realism to flight sims than a regular joystick can achieve - but buyers more familiar with other controllers might find themselves back at flying school until they get used to it!

A thoroughly recommended flying companion!
_____________________

EDIT: if you have calibration problems, see first cooment which describes how to fix it
1010 Comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2010
This product is one of the most realistic flight simulaters you can buy. The plane responds perfectly in a sharp but controlled way. Easy to calibrate, good value for money, hours of realistic and fun flying. All proffesionally made and comes with a free throttle quadrant. Got it for christmas and it was the perfect christmas present for the flying enthusiast. Up and running within 10 minutes, no breakages to report, includes everything you could ever need to fly a plane. Truely fabulous. Definately recomend it.
on 12 August 2010
Good fun, easy to set up, realistic feel, responds well to command. A must have for every virtual pilots.
But just came with a small problem, I got an annoying phantom key effect (it is changing the flight simulator view between different points of view doing nothing: cockpit, virtual cockpit, exterior view...)
I contacted Saitek and told them my problem; their staffs were very helpful and told me how to solve my problem step to step. (See the following procedures)

Start Flight Simulator.
1. Go to Configuration/Settings, then Controls, Assignments.
2. In the "Categories" drop down list, select any one (not the first selected, this will force FS to reload the assignments list; then go back to the first one "all commands").
3. Go down the list and delete ANY key assignment under the joystick column (click on the row, then click on the "delete joystick assignment" button).
4. Press OK (it is important to press OK without changing the list, or it will not get saved)
5. Repeat from step 2 until you have all the joystick assignments cleared for all joysticks (the yoke, quadrant and pedals are 3 different Joysticks) for both "Normal Flight" and "Slew Mode" (the little options on the top).
6. Once you have all joystick assignments cleared for all joysticks and in both modes, repeat steps 2 to 5 making the assignments you want for your yoke system.

WHATEVER YOU DO, BE SURE THAT THERE IS NO JOYSTICK ASSIGNMENTS FOR BUTTONS "9","10" or "11". IF THEY APPEAR, DELETE THAT ASSIGNMENT.
on 24 August 2013
I got this yoke for my 16th birthday and I couldn't have been more pleased with it. having looked at the pictures before getting it, it was bigger than I though but was still able to fit and clamp onto my desk just fine. FYI, this yoke require that you clamp it, as it does NOT come with any form of suction pads.

When playing MS flight Simulator X I had no problems setting the yoke up. I previously had a Logitech joystick and it took about a week to get used to the new yoke.
One issue with the yoke is that it has a very (and I mean very) slight dead-zone to the left, meaning when you want to turn left, you have to turn it slightly further than you would to the right to get the same sort of bank angle to turning it right... if you know what I mean! But this didn't have an effect on my ability to fly the plane.(This deadzone issue can be fixed by contacting Saitek, but the issue was only very slight and I didn't feel the need to).

The throttle quadrant is a really satisfying feature. It was very easy to bind the specific functions that I wanted to each lever, no problems.

When flying prop, I recommend having this set up:
Black: Throttle
Blue: Flaps
Red: Mixture

When flying an airliner, I recommend this set up:
Black: Throttle
Blue: Mixture
Red: Flaps

There are 25+ buttons all together and binding them took a while. Also remembering what button a particular function was bound to was tricky.

If you are not buying the rudder controls as well, then a good way round this is by turning on the Auto-rudder feature in the General Settings in-game, and turning using the yoke.

All other features are listed on the description of the product.

Overall, A fantastic addition to my Flight Simulator X experience, highly recommended. Even if the price is a little bit steep!

9/10
on 28 July 2015
Excellent product. Having been a flightsim enthusiast for nearly 20 years and having a PPL in the in the early 2000's I have tried a number of different yoke systems. In the early days there was only the CH products, which were good but always had a few gremlins (I still use their pedals though). I have only recently gone back to having a desktop PC rather than a laptop and so after 4 years of no flightsim I thought I set up again. As such I went for the Saitek Pro Flight yoke system - and I'm glad I did! The setup was easy and the stability of the yoke and throttle controls clamped to my desk was excellent with no slippage. I haven't had time yet to programme all of the various buttons but even in the default settings there are toggles that control the flaps, landing gear and trim - the basics for getting into the air and back down again precisely where you want. For £140 there is no yoke system that will be identical to the real thing. The real yoke on a Cessna doesn't automatically return to a centre point, its position depends on the air resistance and attitude and trim of the aircraft. But for flightsim the Saitek Pro Flight is a pretty good substitute!
on 13 November 2007
I am at the point of sending my second Yoke back. Both yokes I have tried have had the "phantom" button presses issue - controls activating without user input. Check the Saitek forums and see just how wide spread this problem is. Saitek say less than 1% of units affected. If so, my second yoke should have been fine (simple probability) as should the second units of other purchasers.

The Yoke design is very good, it build quality is not. It is very obvious from the outset that the switches are flimsy (nothing like those on Saitek's X52 joystick).

Avoid until Saitek have got the quality right.

Also Amazon price is sky high! (50% more than some retailers).
on 8 December 2015
The Saitek Pro Flight Yoke System arrived on time, and was well packaged. Despite other customers claims, mine came with a manual, however wasn't very informative.

When taking the yoke out of the box, you would be surprised how light it feels, as it looks rather bulky in the pictures. Nevertheless, it has a solid and professional feel to it with plenty of functions on the yoke itself. The throttle quadrant is much the same.

The reason I haven't given this 5 stars, is because the setting up was rather difficult (for FSX). The labeling of the functions on the yoke did not correspond with the on-screen labeling (ie, on the yoke the button is called A1, but the computer recognises it as 'Button 4'). Setting up the throttle quadrant was also difficult, but with a bit of google searching, I got there in the end. (Make sure you save the settings by closing and re-opening the program, otherwise you will be back to square one with the painstaking task).

Once set up the product works very well, and has a very realistic feel to it, ideal for any aviation enthusiasts. It has a sturdy feel and works well with the program. You can adjust the sensitivities the best suit your needs from within the program.

The method of attachment for both the yoke and the throttle is a clamp. The clamp is rather strong and looks as if it could take a hefty bit of weight to it. However, this does require you have a desk with no draws or lower compartments so you are able to get the clamp underneath the surface. This wasn't a problem for me though.
on 9 June 2012
I bought this product as a replacement for an aging Logitech joystick. I am a real-world pilot and use flight simulator as a tool to stay current.

First off, build quality is excellent. Both the yoke and throttle quadrant are very robust and can take aggressive use. They clamp down securely to the desk with screw clamps so there's no danger of the controls coming adrift mid-maneuver.

The flight yoke feels very realistic in use. The left side contains a hat switch and a rocker switch on the front, with a further rear-mounted button that works well as a push-to-talk. The right side has two further rocker switches and a push button. On the back, there is a 3-way mode switch, which allows each button to be used for three commands, greatly expanding your options. The central clock can show the system time or a stopwatch. The control buttons for this also give signals to the computer, so (depending on the sim) the stopwatch can be synchronised with one in the plane which is a nice feature. The only drawback is that the roll axis only moves about half as far as that in a real aircraft, but this seems to be common to all flight sim yokes and doesn't significantly affect its operation.

The throttle quadrant is also very good. Being separate from the yoke, you can mount it on either side to replicate the aircraft you're flying. The three levers move smoothly and give good control. As supplied, they are fitted with black, blue and red tops for engine throttle, propeller pitch and fuel mixture. These tops are interchangeable. In addition, each lever is fitted with a 'notch' at the 0% limit. Pushing the lever past this notch activates an additional button press. This is useful for realistically engaging reverse thrust, for example.
Yet more buttons are provided in the form of a rocker switch beneath each lever, and these are tripled by the mode switch on the yoke.

The quadrant plugs into the back of the yoke. Next to its port is a triple USB hub. This is useful for plugging in rudder pedals or additional quadrants. Extra throttle quadrants stack up with the first, allowing full control of multi-engine aircraft.

Overall, this is an excellent product which I'd highly recommend to any flight simulator pilot.
on 31 July 2014
This yoke system is just the business. I went from the ThrustMaster joystick to this yoke and the Saitek Rudder Pedals, see my review on the pedals. All I can say is why did I wait so long. I bought the yoke as I wanted more realism with FSX especially as I have wonderful PMDG add on planes the 737 NGX, 777 200 and the Queen of the Sky's 747.

Installation: was very easy and the disk that came with it was great and easy to install. The yoke was recognized straight away and I was up and running quite quickly. However, there is so much to this yoke that is does take a little bit of effort to set up properly. What do I mean by this and no this is not a negative. I plan to create a YouTube video to explain what I did to set it up as it is specific to FSX. The Yoke comes with a profiler to help you program all 42 buttons (14 buttons per mode). This is just fantastic when you set it up. I am only using 40 buttons at the moment as I cannot find anything else I want to use up the last 2 buttons for, but I will. You have to think very carefully what you want to use and which button to assign to a function. But I suggest you use the profiler that comes on the disk as it is just great.

Operation: now that all my buttons are programmed I am finding the yoke great especially as I can use two hands to fly the planes and you get a Throttle Quadrant with the yoke. I must point out that the 42 buttons include the buttons on the quadrant. There are three leavers on the quadrant and I have assigned the black one to the throttle, the blue one is the speed brakes and the red one is my flaps. Previously this was buttons on my joystick. The steering can be a little trick to get used to but I am getting there and adjusting the sensitivity from time to time to suit me. It feels great pulling back when taking off and steering these huge jets in flight and landing. Ergonomically this yoke is much better than a joystick and it is in the centre. I have bolted down the Quadrant to my small keyboard pull out drawer and the yoke is fixed to this also, which is just spot on, especially the height.

Conclusion: this is a great piece of kit and you can add sections to it, which I do not require. It is even better fun flying planes with this great piece of kit but you do require the pedals for the full experience. Well worth the money and I will do a video review and how to program and use the profiler very soon. I hope this has helped you to decide.
on 17 January 2011
I love this yoke, its amasing and like if youn are in a real cockpit. I have used it so many times and i cant stop playing it ( a recommended yoke ) and worth evry penny

good luck