on 4 October 2015
This is great stuff. It's a traditional gunmetal black with a lovely sheen once polished up. I used it on an old fireplace I'd wirebrushed and cleaned up. Applied with a cloth and rubbed of with the same and a toothbrush for all the fidly bits. I found it only needed one coat left on for about 4 to 5 hours then buffed off. You can leave it overnight if you're pushed for time it works just as well. I'd definitely recommend it if you're renovating a fiteplace, but only for show not use. It's not for use with flames, I know! But if you want the look this is the stuff.
review image review image
on 2 August 2011
Excellent product. Does exactly what it says on the tin - provided you follow the instructions given of course. Easy to apply with a rag, but quite difficult using a brush as it is quite hard and not easy to get enough on a brush. Use the brush just to get into difficult corners and on areas of high relief. Final finish is excellent but you must be prepared to rub it several times to achieve the desired finish so as not to get black on your hands every time you touch it. Would definitely recommend to anyone restoring cast iron fireplaces and other ironwork.
on 16 December 2014
I used this stuff to restore a cast iron hearth I found in the garage, left by previous owner. After using rust remover this paste blackened up the cast iron very well and make it look really good. It's consistency is like a tin of shoe polish. I used an old rag to dig it out of the tin and smear it on, then rubbing it in until it had covered the area. I then wiped off any excess and left for a couple of days in a dry place. I ignored the 'don't use around fires' product warning and have had a number of lovely open fires in the hearth with no spontaneous combustion or other problems, and it still looks very nice. I recommend this for anyone wanting to blacken up a cast iron fireplace, log basket, or hearth, it is good stuff.
on 13 December 2012
Much easier and cleaner to apply than I'd thought it would be. Used a short, stiff and densely bristled brush to apply and lint free cotton cloth to burnish. Transformed a stripped cast iron Victorian fire surround - great results in a relatively short time scale.
on 6 September 2013
An excellent black paste which I used on my shot blasted back to metal fireplace. WOW what a result! It has a black shiny colouring to it which looks classy and new. It is only a small pot but you will barely need much for one whole fireplace. We estimated that one small tin would do at least 5!! One small tip is to dip your brushes (we used a shoe brush and a toothbrush for the intricate bits) into a very small solution of white spirit as this makes it easier to apply. I'm one happy customer and Do it yourself!
on 3 May 2013
I was real nervous about using product and kept putting it off. I had cleaned the fireplace down to the metal and applied the paste with a cloth at first, then found a brush was better because there was more detail to cover than anything else. I waited for 4.5 hours to pass then went out and with a cloth started to buff up and clean off any residue paste off the surface. It did not take any effort at all and I was so overwhelmed with the highlights of the raised design coming through it was stunning. My son was so in awe he said "It looks new, and this fireplace is a keeper". My son is the proud owner of an absolutely beautiful fireplace because of a awesome product produced by Liberon. I highly recommend it and found it a very easy product to use. Thank you. KDJ
on 5 July 2013
This is the replacement for the old "Black Lead" paste. It realy does look good once its buffed up. Leave for 12 hours before cleaning off to get first class results.
Very quick delivery and reasonable price.
on 29 September 2014
Great product, easy to apply and gives a great finish. I used it to restore a cast iron combination fireplace and it came up like new wih a nice sheen but kept the black I was looking for. Recommended.
on 28 June 2013
Used this on my gas grate and it looks great. Totally transformed a tired looking item. Easy to apply and no mess. Very good value for money and I highly recommend it.
on 13 June 2016
This has the consistency of shoe cream [from a tube], with a waxy finish. I found using a shoe-brush the best thing to bring out the shine.
Don't use a brush to apply it as you'll get visible brush-strokes, requiring a second coat. If you do use a brush to apply, finish applying with a cloth to smooth out any visible strokes.
The only thing that has me slightly worried/perplexed is that it doesn't really harden - I can scrape some of it off with my nail. I don't know how it will behave once the fireplace has a fire set in it.
The tin says you can do 7 fireplaces with it: I'd be inclined to agree: I used about the right amount for 2 coats to a typical fire surround.
review image